Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

wtf happened to all the xmas trees?

Search this Thread

Old 23 December 2004, 02:34 PM
ProperCharlie
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question wtf happened to all the xmas trees?

decided to pop into b&q on the way home, to get an xmas tree. i usually like to leave it to xmas eve but i won't have time tomorrow. aynway, the good news was that they were all 1/2 price. the bad news was that they were all overpriced, deformed midget trees complete with roots, earth & pots. i just want the top bit, not the underground business. i decided to have a look in homebase - same story, but they weren't even 1/2 price! they had a big sign saying "50% off everything in christmas shop" which i pointed to when they tried to take £20 off me for a "tree" that looked like a reject from a lollipop stick factory. Apparently these "trees" weren't half price because they are "alive". IMO both descriptions could constitute an infringment of the trades description act.

what is the world coming to? what happend to the days of xmas trees being £5 from your local grocer?

[/old fool mode]
Old 23 December 2004, 02:38 PM
Jerome
Scooby Regular

Firstly, I would say you've left it rather late to get a Christmas tree. Secondly, I'm surprised that you didn't realise that the days of Christmas being a religious occasion are over - it is now just a commercial opportunity for all retailers.

Last edited by Jerome; 23 December 2004 at 02:54 PM. Reason: add a smiley...
Old 23 December 2004, 02:52 PM
AudiMan
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

You have to get your tree in October now to avoid dissapointment, alternatively wait till dark, saw + local common = sorted. I obviously don't condone that sort of behaviour, plus you will probably need a torch..
Just another tip, summer clothes will be in the shops 1st January and gone by end of Feb' so start buying for your summer holidays in about 6 days !!

Only in good old Britain !!

Ian..
Old 23 December 2004, 03:13 PM
Petem95
Scooby Regular

what is the world coming to? what happend to the days of xmas trees being £5 from your local grocer?
Plenty of places round here doing them for 5-8quid. You'd expect to pay more in B&Q really!
Old 23 December 2004, 06:39 PM
Nimbus
Scooby Regular

Why are you buying your tree at a DIY place?? That's the last place I'd go. Aren't there any garden centres near you? I bought a nice 8 1/2 ft Nordman a couple of weeks ago. Took 1/2 ft of the bottom ant fits in the house a treat.
Old 23 December 2004, 06:44 PM
BigRed
Scooby Regular

Guess what Nephew got today???????????

A Cadbury's Cream Egg

Yes only in Britain.

Seriously you are going to be VERY luck to find a Christams tree now as most of the garden centers have shut for Christmas
Old 23 December 2004, 06:46 PM
ProperCharlie
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Nimbus
Why are you buying your tree at a DIY place??
well i won't be again. last year i got one from homebase late on, they had plenty left, they were half price, it cost me about 8 quid for a decent size blue spruce. this year they seem to have decided only to sell "living" potted trees. by the time i was in the second diy store i couldn't be bothered to go anywhere else.

live and learn, i suppose.

PS the "living" thing is a bit ironic as it says on the label "not suitable for re-planting outside". not that i want a christmas tree in my garden in any case.
Old 23 December 2004, 08:30 PM
carl
Scooby Regular

I also went to look for a tree at Homebase. What a rip-off! They wanted between £20 and £30 for a cut tree (depending on which of the various types you want), plus another £20 for the base!

Got one from Sainsbury's in the end -- £15 all in, including the base and wrapping it up in a net thingy so it'll fit in the car.
Old 23 December 2004, 08:36 PM
chris's scooby
Scooby Regular

Can't see what all the fuss is about. I got my tree out of the loft a couple of weeks ago. Good as new. Should do a few more years yet!