Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Puppy housebreaking help please??

Search this Thread

Old 21 December 2004, 08:21 PM
BuRR
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Puppy housebreaking help please??

I have a problem with my 18 week old wheaten Cairn "Angus". He's proving to be an absolute nightmate in housetraining/breaking.

Anyway.... to get to the point .....

We keep him in a small crate, with a small pen. Initially, we left the crate door open but left him with a small(ish) 2ft square area to do his business on newspaper. He started well, more or less hitting the paper, but we noticed that if we let him out from time to time for a run around with our 4 year old Border Terrier (or just for a sniff around) he'd defecate or urinate wherever he felt like it - even if there was newspaper down right next to him! This would include newspaper that was part-soiled in an attempt to get him to associate an area with what he should be doing in that area!

Anyway.... we tried the positive reinforcement, shutting him in his crate for 30 mins, then taking him outside into the garden..... but nothing. He'd sniff around for anything up to an hour, but not do anything. Then very sgortly after bringing him back inside, he'd quickly drop a number 2, and have a pee. I can't really describe it - its as though he's embarrassed to go if someone is watching him - he appears to wait until everyone's attention is diverted, then quickly goes......

So.... now we hit the problem.... this has obviously been frustrating until recently .... but now its got worse. He's started soiling his bed. Initially, we thought its because he's holding himself too long, but tonight I put him down in his penned area in our kitchen, whereupon he went into his crate/bed and promptly urinated in it. That was the third instance this afternoon - each time in his bed!

I really don't know what to do! Prior to the second "accident" I caught him peeing on the floor, and shouted his name - which stopped him mid-stream. I picked him up without another word and took him outside. I stood with him for 30 minutes and nothing! I then took him back inside, and shortly later he'd wet his bed a second time!!!

PLEASE.... does anyone know what I can do next???

Thanks in advance.
Old 21 December 2004, 08:44 PM
Spoon
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

Originally Posted by BuRR
PLEASE.... does anyone know what I can do next???

Thanks in advance.
Depending on how secluded your garden is, you could always try leading by example and take a leak yourself.

Angus won't have that and will promptly píss on top of your effort.

Works everytime outdoors!!

As for indoors, it's not the best way.
Old 21 December 2004, 08:46 PM
Buckrogers
Scooby Regular

Sounds like you have tried quite a bit!

There is some "spray" stuff u can buy from pet shop, which gives of a scent which dogs won't pee near.I suggest using some of that maybe in his bed.

Has he ever gone outside to do his business?

We just shouted "NO" when "Harvey" went inside. Took him outside straight away, he finished and we'd give him a treat. Occasionally, he'd get a smack for going in the house. He's pretty good now, guess we have been lucky.

Although, he still likes to occasionally eat his own sh!te which is then vomitted up 10 mins later, in the house, little barsteward!
Old 21 December 2004, 09:43 PM
mart360
Scooby Regular

normally they wont defficate in there own sleeping area,, but it seems he has now marked this area as his poop spot

its break the cycle... reomve his beding, and sanitise,, you need to show him where his poop spot is... take some of his poop/ wee and mark an area outside, then have a quick spray yourself, and as above he will do it to remark his territory..

failing that tie a knot in it!!!

we had similar with our cat, she would ignore the litter tray and do it in corners .. or to really **** you off walk into the centre of the room, look at you and do it there!!!

its a she dosent do it any more, but we think its because she,s semi feral

pets who needs them

mart
Old 21 December 2004, 10:24 PM
janeyj
Scooby Newbie

Apparently according to a book i had on trainig a puppy, you take a piece of the newspaper outside that they have been on and let them sniff around it - thus training them that they go outside not in - this however never worked for our German Shepherd, who still, at the age of 2 had the occasional accident, but we always thought out of spite more than anything. It resulted in us having to chuck out a brand new carpet and rug as the smell was just awful, even though we scrubbed and scrubbed.Good luck

Jane x
Old 22 December 2004, 08:05 AM
darlodge
Scooby Regular

Buckrogers,

Have you found a decent solution to eating his ****e?

Apparently a smalll amount of mustard power mixed with a bit of water sprayed on a few "jobbies" in the Garden will put him off? We have not tried it yet though.

It is supposed to get them used to the fact that they taste horrible and then they stop.

Darren
Old 22 December 2004, 08:48 AM
BuRR
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the replies so far.... certainly things to think about (but I'm not too sure about peeing in the garden )

as for eating the richards in the garden.... the mustard powder theory is only good if you find some he's possibly going to eat. My dog eats his own whilst its still warm!!!!

I have read, however, that pineapple chunks as a treat works in pretty much the same way when it comes out of the other end!!!
Old 22 December 2004, 09:06 AM
davegtt
Scooby Senior

darlodge, try some cayean (spelling) pepper. just sprinkle it heavily over the poop and should stop them, any dog that has picked up a taste for it will be sick near enough straight away and wouldnt go back. it worked wonders for our 2 dogs when they was chewing on the door frames licked it off the frame, was sick and not touched the frame since. make sure there is plenty of water about for them though as there mouth may burn for a short while Teach the little bu99ers

as for weeing, difficult 1, hard to tackle IMO once they are in a routine, our previous dog used to wee in his bed. not often though. always thought it was to hide the wee so you wouldnt have to clean up after him and tell him off, our breeder said it was strange for a male to do it but its really common in bitches (especially with bulldogs) our method was watch him doing a wee shout "no" or his name and pick him up, drop him outside and just say be clean. its a pain but its better to stay outside until hes done something... If anything try to monitor how often he goes to the toilet, maybe every 3 hours? so after hes been once 2 1/2 hours laters set a reminder and just take him into the back yard and say be clean..... obviously as he gets older and his bladder gets better these times will be cut down. unfortunately our mutt is 2 now, fully grown and still needs to go every 6 hours.... so even if we had a late night and went to bed at midnight come 6am he'll sneak off into the kitchen for a week (which is easily cleanable as its tiled but its a pain mopping every other day.....)
Old 22 December 2004, 09:24 AM
4X4BOB
Scooby Regular

Jan Fennel - The Dog Listner

http://www.janfennellthedoglistener.com/

I bought her book a few years ago, excellent reading, and helps you understand dogs better. The only prob now is with me, I find myself analysing other people and there dogs.

I suggest that your new dog is "doing its business" indside to define its territory from your other dog. Pus many other reasons which take too long to explain. Buy the book and read it all, and you AND the dogs will be loads happier!

Bob
Old 22 December 2004, 09:32 AM
ajm
Scooby Regular

I don't have any direct experience in this, but my parents are currently going through all this with two labs. Could he have associated going to the toilet with being bad? This could be why he tries to do it when no one is looking.

Maybe, because every time he has been to the toilet in the house he has heard his name shouted and been picked up and put outside, he has started thinking it is the act itself that is bad, not where he is doing it?
Old 22 December 2004, 09:51 AM
Karl 227
BANNED

Originally Posted by darlodge
Buckrogers,

How about getting a take away instead?
Old 22 December 2004, 09:55 AM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

Housebreaking??? Freudian slip there

How is he on entering?
Old 22 December 2004, 09:59 AM
Brendan Hughes
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I second ajm's comment. You've shouted at him when he goes in the house, but have you praised/rewarded him when he goes in the garden? (By the sounds of it no, as you've never been able to!). With ours, every time he does it, we said "Be clean, good dog." Now we say "Be clean" and he squirts almost on command (age 3 mths). Still a number of accidents in the house though - thank heavens for well-polished parquet!

Could also be something to do with the other dog, but I've no experience here.

Best of luck.
Old 22 December 2004, 02:29 PM
BuRR
Scooby Regular

Spent 1.5 hours in the garden with him today and NOTHING!!!!

ah well..... there's always tonight
Old 22 December 2004, 02:33 PM
ajm
Scooby Regular

If you can just get him to go once outside you can then heap loads of praise on him.... I think its time to find a bush and **** your leg!
Old 22 December 2004, 03:11 PM
darlodge
Scooby Regular

When you go in the garden can he see you? If he can, try and move somewhere where he can't see you but you can see him and then see what he does.

Elle refuses to go to the toilet on the lead as you are standing right next to her

Darren
Old 22 December 2004, 04:39 PM
Buckrogers
Scooby Regular

Buckrogers,

Yes, I have stopped know, it tastes terrible

Apparently a smalll amount of mustard power mixed with a bit of water sprayed on a few "jobbies" in the Garden will put him off? We have not tried it yet though.

It is supposed to get them used to the fact that they taste horrible and then they stop.

Darren
Nice one, I shall give it a go. Must admit though we have so far found very little that he won't eat. Raw onion he does not like! Who does !
Old 22 December 2004, 04:41 PM
davegtt
Scooby Senior

Cayean pepper, no dog likes that and if it does the burning mouth puts them off after that
Old 22 December 2004, 04:43 PM
Brendan Hughes
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Good luck, our weim inhaled a mustard sandwich and came back for more.

Crushed garlic? Tucha behaves VERY strangely when we drop some garlic peel on the floor!
Old 22 December 2004, 04:44 PM
Buckrogers
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by davegtt
Cayean pepper, no dog likes that and if it does the burning mouth puts them off after that
Again, cheers. Just finished reading your post above. He is not well at the minute, constantly has the "runs". Once he's better I'll try the cayean pepper . That'll "learn him"
Old 22 December 2004, 08:01 PM
Spoon
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by ajm
I think its time to find a bush and **** your leg!
Not a bad idea.

After all, he's enough to make anyone want to shít.
Old 22 December 2004, 08:07 PM
ajm
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Spoon
Not a bad idea.

After all, he's enough to make anyone want to shít.
LOL!

Regarding pepper and mustard etc, one of the funniest things I ever saw a dog do was when my gran's horrible rat-dog miniture poodle thingy decided to eat a packet of Fishermans Friends! The fluffy little foo-foo was doing like a break dance spinning on its nose on the carpet! My gran was mortified but we were in stitches!
Old 22 December 2004, 11:47 PM
Adrian F
Scooby Regular

Just Patience and make sure that when ever you see him do it in the garden loads of praise. as for weting the bed my Current youngest did that but she has grown out of it and was totally clean by 6 months. i spent a lot of nights last winter standing in the garden shivering whilst playing games etc to entertain us whilst i waited for her to need the toilet. i am sure my neighbours thought i was mad playing football with a puppy at 2 am but it worked. i never went thru the training to paper thing just trained her that the garden was the place and put paper down in her puppy pen if i left her at home or over night other than that i was just quick taking her out doors even if she was in mid flow so as to then praise her in the garden, they tend to stop if picked up.
Old 23 December 2004, 08:30 AM
BuRR
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Adrian F
....they tend to stop if picked up.
The one on Bruce Almighty didn't

Seriously though, many many thanks for all the suggestions..... I know i've got my work cut out.

I'll do my best to keep you all updated
Old 23 December 2004, 10:09 AM
Coopz
Scooby Regular

I'll second the suggestion to read Jan Fennels book, it really helps you understand your dog and you'll be suprised at the things she says. App you're not to say anything to him if he goes in the house, just pick him up and put him in the 'toilet' spot in your garden, never shout at him for doing it in the house as this will only make it worse.

Get the book, it'll tell you alot more !