Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Proposed EU ban on cod fishing?

Search this Thread

Old 21 December 2004, 09:10 AM
ProperCharlie
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Proposed EU ban on cod fishing?

Is this a good thing or a bad thing? It seems to me unlikely that the proposals will be implemented, as they will be too unpopular. However, surely it is better to take drastic measures now, rather then arrive at a situation where stocks cannot recover (as happened in the Grand Banks fisheries off Nova Scotia)?
Old 21 December 2004, 09:13 AM
TelBoy
Scooby Regular

A good thing. Period. There is no environmental justification for continuing to fish cod for the next few years - none.

Find alternatives to cod - it might be "just" a fish, but it doesn't deserve to be wiped out because we can't be bothered to try alternatives, of which there are many.
Old 21 December 2004, 09:20 AM
Jye
Scooby Regular

Unfortunately I doubt our European brethren will stick to it. Go to countries like Italy or Spain and the markets are literally 'swimming' with undersize fish. Its too late now imo, like Iceland we should have had the gun boats out years ago. Common Fisheries Policy my ****.
Old 21 December 2004, 09:20 AM
ProperCharlie
Scooby Regular

Tel, I agree. However, there will be representatives of the fishing industry on TV explaining why we don't need to do this. I can't understand their mindset - they've seen catches decline year on year for the best part of a century, with smaller fish being landed and fewer species. Despite this, they still maintain that they are "managing" fish stocks and there isn't a problem. If they carry on, there won't be any fish and they'll all be out of a job, won't they?
Old 21 December 2004, 09:22 AM
ProperCharlie
Scooby Regular

jye - I think that the reason a ban is being suggested is the failure of other policies - mesh sizes, catch quotas etc - to acheive anything. I agree about the gun boats, btw.
Old 21 December 2004, 09:23 AM
ajm
Scooby Regular

I agree with it too, although it should be backed up with a decent fry release programme and maybe some habitat work, artificial reefs and the like.

The legal minimum size for cod is 35cm and yet only 50% of cod that size are sexually mature, its no wonder the situation is not sustainable.
Old 21 December 2004, 09:24 AM
CrisPDuk
Scooby Regular

Angry

The trouble, as usual the Spanish will take no notice, and hence OUR cod stocks will still get decimated, but with no reward to our fishermen. There will be no repeat of the 'Cod War', because:
a) The French & Germans will side with the Spanish and tell us we can't sink their boats &
b) The one remaining dinghy that now constitutes our once proud naval fleet, isn't fast enough to catch a trawler anyway

Trending Topics

Old 21 December 2004, 09:25 AM
TelBoy
Scooby Regular

As far as i understand it, yes, PC. But obviously they're just focusing on their immediate livelihood, rather than the long-term prospects for the survival of cod, about which they couldn't care less in all honesty - they'll just move on to the next species.