Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Got NIP, any thoughts

Search this Thread

Old 19 December 2004, 10:23 PM
andy hs
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Got NIP, any thoughts

Got sent NIP 2 days after getting clocked on Gatwick Road by a forward facing mobile speed camera van.

I turned onto the road off a roundabout accelerated to 40 mph seeing the van 100yards or so infront kept it at 40 and looked at the camera operator cursing to my self that some poor b******ds are going to get caught totally unaware that it was a 30mph limit and I was one of the poor b******ds that got done.

The van was parked half ohn the pavement and half on the grass verge, now I remember that there was a case that if the van was parked illegally then you cant be prosecuted.
Is this still the case?

As I have had a clean licence for nearly 35 years I would like to try any avenue not to get 3 points on it.

Any advice gratefully received.

Andy.
Old 19 December 2004, 10:26 PM
Bubba po
Scooby Regular

Talking

Got NIP, any thoughts
Just one. Perhaps you shouldn't have exceeded the speed limit.
Old 19 December 2004, 10:29 PM
highlander68k
Scooby Regular

Why would someone be unaware? Is there no sign saying it's 30mph or is it a sign that is hard to notice?

IIRC, the parking position of the Van cannot be used anymore. They claim it is sometimes essential to park in such a position, although illegal for a normal car, if it is not considered to be a danger to the public.
Old 19 December 2004, 10:30 PM
ARRON BIRD
Scooby Regular

Yeah get some nice lippy so you can kiss your **** goodbye in style
Old 19 December 2004, 10:31 PM
Mat Mc
Scooby Regular

Smile

What's the difference between illegal and unlawful??

Unlawful means contrary to law.

Illegal is a sick bird.

40 in a 30, you should be strung up and made an example of - LOL
Old 19 December 2004, 10:33 PM
chris's scooby
Scooby Regular

Try on here

http://www.pepipoo.com/

I hope you were smiling...
Old 19 December 2004, 10:53 PM
kbsub
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Bubba po
Just one. Perhaps you shouldn't have exceeded the speed limit.

PMSL
Old 19 December 2004, 11:15 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Pay up, smile and don't speed in future?

Seems to me that the only sure way of avoiding a speeding fine is not to speed!

£60 is it now?? Thats a lot of dosh but value for money if it slows you down!

Pete
Old 19 December 2004, 11:24 PM
Adam Davis
Scooby Regular

The cameras are a pain in the butt, but they do enforce the law of this country no matter how much we disagree with speed limits.

Maybe the worm will turn one day when Jeremy Clarkson or Richard Hammond are elected our next President?
Old 19 December 2004, 11:40 PM
hedgehog
Scooby Regular

The worm is turning and might do so in quite a public way in the next few weeks.

Unfortunately the parking of the van is no help to you as most laws contain a clause something along the likes of "except for a police officer enforcing the law..."

Those people who are so keen to gloat should be aware that stastically the average driver now faces a ban once every 15 years now that we have the nutters running traffic policing. Now I'm sure all the gloaters are much better than the average driver and are probably incapable of making a mistake so of course it will never happen to them.

The paper, published in "Mathematics Today" also calculates that at the current level of enforcement only 9% of drivers will manage to get through their driving life without getting a ban. Again I am sure that all of the gloaters are confident of their position in this 9%.

When it comes to making a defence, as has already been suggested, pepipoo is the place to go for information. People are still successfully defending themselves against charges of speeding but you need to do some research and to put aside a few hours to prepare yourself. It may not even need you to go to court if you demand all the evidence and take the PACE route and as you may see from some of my other posts today an awful lot of people do go to court, currently I only have figures for convictions in court for speeding but I am trying to get figures for failed prosecutions.
Old 20 December 2004, 08:18 AM
DocJock
Scooby Regular

Hedgehog, it is not "gloating" to point out that if admitting to being caught exceeding the speed limit by 33%, perhaps the more appropriate response is to pay the fine and resolve to pay more attention next time, rather than try to wriggle out of the penalty (which we are all aware of before we exceed the limits).
Old 20 December 2004, 09:54 AM
farmer1
Scooby Regular

Well my city centre is absolutely littered with speed cameras and traffic like cameras etc, yet there is not one speed limit sign that I have seen.

As it is technically a built up area and there are street lights I just assume the speed limit is 30 and stick to it.

Having said that the speed limit only causes a problem at night because during the day, you crawl through it at about 5mph, and judging by the work being carried out even this figure is going to be reduced to complete and utter gridlock.
Old 20 December 2004, 10:13 AM
Tiggs
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by hedgehog
The worm is turning and might do so in quite a public way in the next few weeks.

Unfortunately the parking of the van is no help to you as most laws contain a clause something along the likes of "except for a police officer enforcing the law..."

Those people who are so keen to gloat should be aware that stastically the average driver now faces a ban once every 15 years now that we have the nutters running traffic policing. Now I'm sure all the gloaters are much better than the average driver and are probably incapable of making a mistake so of course it will never happen to them.

The paper, published in "Mathematics Today" also calculates that at the current level of enforcement only 9% of drivers will manage to get through their driving life without getting a ban. Again I am sure that all of the gloaters are confident of their position in this 9%.

When it comes to making a defence, as has already been suggested, pepipoo is the place to go for information. People are still successfully defending themselves against charges of speeding but you need to do some research and to put aside a few hours to prepare yourself. It may not even need you to go to court if you demand all the evidence and take the PACE route and as you may see from some of my other posts today an awful lot of people do go to court, currently I only have figures for convictions in court for speeding but I am trying to get figures for failed prosecutions.

thats seems unbeliveable....surley they assume a linear continuation of speeding after the first few points....i know if i had a few tickets and only 3 points left there is NO WAY i would loose my licence as i'd drive everywhere slow.
Old 20 December 2004, 10:52 AM
Chrisgr31
Scooby Regular

Was this on Gatwick Road, Crawley? In which case it's rather an achievement to exceed the speed limit as in my experience the roadworks have reduced traffic to a crawl! However in a way glad I have read this thread as I didn't realise they parked a van there. Assummed that the camera had gone as the road no longer qualified for a camera!

Be interesting to know what the stats are that support the cameras in Manr Royal. Why do I think they are related to people doing silly speeds at night and at the weekend, not people driving with the flow in the weekday?
Old 20 December 2004, 11:22 AM
Petem95
Scooby Regular

If youre going to have to pay the fine then at least be as awkward as possible about it, in a manner that costs the camera partnership maximum admin costs. Eg, request a photograph etc.
Old 20 December 2004, 11:35 AM
hedgehog
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Tiggs
thats seems unbeliveable....surley they assume a linear continuation of speeding after the first few points....i know if i had a few tickets and only 3 points left there is NO WAY i would loose my licence as i'd drive everywhere slow.
Peer reviewed so I hardly think such simple errors in method would get through the net:

http://www.ima.org.uk/institute/thet...eedcameras.htm
Old 20 December 2004, 12:20 PM
Tiggs
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by hedgehog
Peer reviewed so I hardly think such simple errors in method would get through the net:

http://www.ima.org.uk/institute/thet...eedcameras.htm

seems very odd still......for one thing, most people have no points on their licence (as has been shown on here where the question ahs been asked) and if you had 3 tickets you wouldnt get a fourth unless you where a bit of an idiot.......cant see how the study makes sense.
Old 20 December 2004, 12:41 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Most seem to have forgotten the original post in that he did not intend to break the speed limit since he thought it was a 40 limit and that is the speed he was driving at. In that case all the castigation is unfair since we all know how easy it is to mistake the limit if there are insufficient repeater signs. They seem to reduce the number of repeaters these days as well, maybe to catch us all out?

I remember PS Lewis telling us how nearly he was done for doing 60 MPH in a newly restricted area, he thought the speed cam cop had caught him! Easy to make an honest mistake isn't it PSL? I know you are not a hypocrite of course!

Les
Old 20 December 2004, 01:05 PM
Aztec Performance Ltd
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by DocJock
Hedgehog, it is not "gloating" to point out that if admitting to being caught exceeding the speed limit by 33%, perhaps the more appropriate response is to pay the fine and resolve to pay more attention next time, rather than try to wriggle out of the penalty (which we are all aware of before we exceed the limits).
33%...talk about trying to make it sound worse than it is.

Its because people cough up that the government $cameras even work. If say half of us were to appeal a speeding ticket the whole system would collapse.

If the majority of the otherwise law abiding public break the so-called law, when it comes to speeding then the 'law' surely cant be right?

locally I have seen the dual carriageways which were NSL turned to 40mph zones. And guess what....there are no junctions, no hazards, its well lit and rather straight.....oh and its now littered with $camera vans on a daily basis (not that that has anything to do with it )

There are so many people that act like puppets, just echoing views of the government. What they forget is that WE elected the govt to run the country as we wish.

I would challenge anyone to tell me that the $camera vans on perfectly safe dual carriageways (now 40mph limits) are doing any good other than revenue rasing. I dont recall EVER seeing one near a school.
Old 20 December 2004, 01:18 PM
andy97
Scooby Regular

Location: Api 500+bhp MD321T @91dB Probably SN's longest owner of an Impreza Turbo
Received 118 Likes on 103 Posts
Talking

Hi Andy HS

pop over to http://www.pepipoo.com

Join the fightback forum or even better become a member a help fund the appeal.
Buy a pepipoo coffee mug or bumper sticker for Xmas

Read the FAQ and post your details
The Pace witness statement is causing lots of fun with the scammers
Andy

Last edited by andy97; 20 December 2004 at 01:22 PM.
Old 20 December 2004, 11:14 PM
Diesel
Scooby Regular

Andy, can I suggest you pose your question on a performance car drivers' site instead? I say this politely as you have clearly mistakenly posted here. Scoobysite is actually reserved for members of the W.I. and for older gentlemen that drive small engined cars and whom once lost a tortoise to a speeding and inconsiderate menace such as yourself!

You have been one of the causes of the general malaise in UK society and you must pay the price for that I'm afraid.

You could of course fight back and get a Road Angel and a F.U.R.B attitude. You will need to focus less on the road ahead and more on the traps on the side of it - ohh and get a laser jammer; you can fit one in 5 mins ( I heard...) Well I mean - no point letting them make more of a money monkey out of you again - like the rest of the 'I believe this bull$hit' sheep is there!!!!!!!

NO MORE VICTIM MENTALITY - YOU WONT GET ME AGAIN YOU MALEVOLENT BUNCH OF STATISTIC SPINNING REVENUE RAKING QUANGOS; I'M GOING TWICE AS FAST NOW
HA HA HA!!!!
(see how it can make you Andy...
Old 21 December 2004, 08:03 AM
Floyd
Scooby Regular

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

I agree!

F
Old 21 December 2004, 08:26 AM
fatscoobyfella
Scooby Regular

Anyone who says they aint broke the speed limit at any time in there scooby's is a lier..the guy came on here for some genuine advice and support and all he got was back handed comments...shame on you all that did...!!!!

Oh...i been banned twice by the way...that must make me some kinda super idiot i guess...The fact that i used to be a Ralliart tech and now drive performance cars most days must have nothhing to do with it!!..oh and my fireblade!!

Last edited by fatscoobyfella; 21 December 2004 at 08:31 AM.