Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

woo hoo 12k payrise and bigger car allowance

Search this Thread

Old 16 December 2004, 05:18 PM
pbee
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default woo hoo 12k payrise and bigger car allowance

I told my boss in the US that id been offered a job with a competitor for a sizeable more cash and nearly double the car allowance. and was considering my options.

They came back with a counter offer and pretty much matched it, and he was told under no circumstances do I leave. Problem is I cant use the extra car allowance for nearly 2 years bummer.

so the question is , do i go for more .

and how to celebrate, i was thinking hookers, black jack and beer. on second thoughts forget the black jack and the beer.
Old 16 December 2004, 05:24 PM
babber
Scooby Regular

Wink

Originally Posted by pbee
I told my boss in the US that id been offered a job with a competitor for a sizeable more cash and nearly double the car allowance. and was considering my options.

They came back with a counter offer and pretty much matched it, and he was told under no circumstances do I leave. Problem is I cant use the extra car allowance for nearly 2 years bummer.

so the question is , do i go for more .

and how to celebrate, i was thinking hookers, black jack and beer. on second thoughts forget the black jack and the beer.
Why do you have to wait another two years for the additional car allowance? Seems daft to me

Assume you get the salary increase now?

Well done mate, sometimes it pays to be honest with the boss, rather than just leave

Congrats, Phill
Old 16 December 2004, 05:26 PM
Petem95
Scooby Regular

Nice one!! I'd stick with that, dont push your luck too much!! Sounds like a good deal too - I wish I was offered a 12k pay rise - that would actually be more than a 50% rise for poor me!
Old 16 December 2004, 05:28 PM
Petem95
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by babber
Why do you have to wait another two years for the additional car allowance? Seems daft to me
One year into a year 3 lease I assume
Old 16 December 2004, 05:29 PM
pbee
Scooby Regular

the car allowance is a dumb *** rule if you take a car instead of the cash, if you take the cash you get the incremental rises, if you take the car then you have that amount for the lease duration.

Im pushing to get paid the difference. will also ask what happens if the current car gets written off. maybe at the banger races this weekend
Old 16 December 2004, 05:45 PM
Lum
Scooby Regular

Why lease?
I took the car allowance and took out a loan to buy my Legacy. The repayments are similar to a lease cost and I've got something to show for it at the end of the repayments.
Old 16 December 2004, 06:49 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If I was looking around - as you clearly are - then realise that this trick only works once ............... after that you start to look silly.

Also, it shows that you can be bought for an extra £12k!! Whats an extra 10% when you lose your dignity??

I would walk myself!

Pete
Old 16 December 2004, 07:07 PM
Simon C
Scooby Regular

I did both, I was serious about joining my last company, but only on the tech / project unit. They came back with an offer of the helpdesk and 11k (2k less than I was earning) and no relocation allowance. So I left to join 1 of their supplers for just over a 100% payrise.
Old 16 December 2004, 07:08 PM
AndyC_772
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by pslewis
I would walk myself!

Pete
Oh, to be able to do so unaided, eh?
Old 16 December 2004, 07:11 PM
Fuzz 2
Scooby Regular

It's not all about money is it???

What's happened to good old Job satisfaction these days?

Andy
Old 16 December 2004, 07:16 PM
met
Scooby Regular

leave, if you were looking around anyway theres obviously probs at work mate & they wont go away, tell em to poke the money & go take the new job & enjoy the new challenge in 2005 ! i resigned from my job last week to go to a start up! gone from a £50k salary with lots of nice bens to a zero salary & no bens! I had a lot of second thoughts mate, but at the end of the day if you are bored or not enjoying what you are doing then you gots to leave! good luck either way. they marched me out there n then so ive got the whole of december off too! & they messed up & paid me for holiday which they thought i hadnt taken & put an extra £1,800 in my final salary! morons
Old 16 December 2004, 10:43 PM
pbee
Scooby Regular

I wasnt looking, i was recommended to them by a joint customer. I'm pretty happy where I am, and the competitor is based in america with no offices here, i wasnt keen on that situation been there done that.

I wasnt expecting them to offer anything, as my current employer is very political but you get that with large companies.
Old 16 December 2004, 11:19 PM
met
Scooby Regular

in that case, take the pay rise stay put & enjoy the xtra money!
Old 17 December 2004, 09:01 AM
babber
Scooby Regular

Wink

Originally Posted by met
in that case, take the pay rise stay put & enjoy the xtra money!
Stay where you are then, trouble is you don't get to see all that additional £ 12k (bar steward taxman)

It's nice when your boss comes back after you mention your thinking of leaving, and gives you a hefty pay increase. I myself got £ 12k payrise a few years ago, and a brand new MY 00 (as my company car )

Phill

PS Lol (as ever) at PS Lewis, he nuts.... Must be driving around that Import thats doing it
Old 17 December 2004, 09:16 AM
Geezer
Scooby Senior

Cool

I've seen this loads of times where I work, and they never forget it. Your payrises will be pegged back a little, year after year.

People don't like being held to ransom. If you genuinely didn;t like it there, you should leave regardless of what they offer you. If you were unhappy about the remuneration, you should have discussed it with them and made your intentions clear.

You may have a happy career there now, but it's unlikely IMO.

Geezer
Old 17 December 2004, 02:58 PM
Kieran_Burns
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

I'd resign if it was me... you have to ask yourself what is different now to when you earned £12K less? They clearly think you are worth it so why not reward you before you threaten to leave?

Anyway, here's a resignation letter I prepared for my wife when she left a company she HATED working for... worse luck, she never used it... but I offer it here for free:

Dear ********,
I no longer wish to work for your Mickey Mouse Company full of incompetent jobsworths who demostrate the skill and dedication of a paralytic tick fly, with syphillis.

I find your attitude to my choice to work for "the opposition" exactly what I require to leave this "ship of fools" and work instead for a Company that cares for, and understands its employees; as opposed to yourselves who apparently spend all day in such a fit of dedicated ******* scratching that only it can explain the reason why all of your decisions are such a pile of sweaty bollocks.

The large degree of bull**** that is also rampant in your organisation I can only explain by your prediliction for beastial sex with large male bovine quadrupeds.

Therefore I tender my resignation from your employment. I choose to step out from the under the miasmic cloud of contradication, comtempt, and claptrap that typifies your company and out into the light of employment opportunities that shine like a beacon of hope amongst the present fields of festering failures.

I would like to take this opportunty to thank you for the period of employment I enjoyed with your company. It has ably demonstrated to me the true nadir of self-employed hell. Now I can go forward strengthened by this knowledge, knowing that there is nothing lower in life's rich tapestry of experience than time spent with you.

I would thank you from the bottom of heart, but your previously mentioned preference for bestial **** sex may give you ideas I would rather not entertain.
Old 17 December 2004, 03:36 PM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

I have to agree with Kieran_Burns, unless you are currently being paid so much that 12K amounts to 2 or 3 % pay rise then the fact they can suddenyl find it suggests they have been taking you for a mug. Mind you I am surprised you hadn't realised that you were being so significantly underpaid and done something about it before.
Old 17 December 2004, 04:47 PM
pbee
Scooby Regular

ok it goes like this.

Used to work in London, but hated the commute after 3 years, Joined a local company for slightly less than the London Salary.

Tech industry takes a nosedive, I have been employed by the same company for the whole black spell where other good people have struggled to get decent wages.

Small company gets bought by large company and is now my current employer, the issue arrises that I havent had decent payrise for 4 years, I think total rises have come out about 1% a year on average it is always blamed "on the industry" and I used to belive this. Recently the area which I work in has accelerated rapidly and it seems experienced people are in demand.

I have weighed up the pro's and con's of both positions, my current employeer does tip the balance as they have a large presence in pretty much every country, excellent pension stock options ect ect, and the other company does not offer the same. Also the people I work with are excellent. sure there are bad things as well but at least I know what they are,

I hadnt thought about the downsides, but it isnt like I blackmailed them into anything, apparently I was allready highlighted as "at risk" in respect to the problems that would occur if I or my partner in crime left. Not sure how true that is but we shall see.

no 12k isnt 2 % of my salary I wish it is now 7.4%
Old 17 December 2004, 05:30 PM
davyboy
Scooby Regular

no 12k isnt 2 % of my salary I wish it is now 7.4%
so you earn 162k per year then?
Old 20 December 2004, 12:17 PM
pbee
Scooby Regular

oops, no typo 17.4 %

thank god im not a nasa mathmetician or their mars lander would of ended up a snickers.
Old 20 December 2004, 01:21 PM
T4molie
Scooby Regular

thank god im not a nasa mathmetician or their mars lander would of ended up a snickers.
PMSL
Old 20 December 2004, 05:15 PM
DrEvil
Scooby Regular

PBEE,

Sometimes its better the Devil you know workwise - I stayed where I was for the same reason (and its paid off, as I'd be looking for work again now if I'd taken the other job last year).

But, as I'm sure you know, you can only play the 'joker' card once.

Good luck, and nice score salary wise!

Alex