Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Bloody Tube Unions!!

Search this Thread

Old 15 December 2004, 11:48 PM
jonc
Scooby Regular

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Angry Bloody Tube Unions!!

Why does it not supprise me. Yet again, the unions are threatening to strike over Christmas and New Years eve because their £30K+ salary, 37.5 hour week and 43 days holiday which they agreed to after striking during the summer is not enough. Now they want 52 days holiday and 35 hour week, the same as station staff. Almost as bad as the strike for the guy who got sacked for claiming over 200 days sickness and was caught playing squash on one of his sick days. They really take the p!ss! I along with other Londoners make do with 20-25 days holiday and I for one regularly work over 45 hours a week. If the unions don't like their pay and conditions, all the hard working London commuters are made to suffer, while they have a day's break from work.

How can they justify their salary and benefits, because they are responsible for the safety and wellbeing of tube users? Don't make me laugh, one of the reason they are striking is because one of their drivers has been demoted for going through 4 red signals! That driver should be sacked IMO for putting every person on his train at risk. How is London Transport gonna pay for this if they get their way? raise fare prices. Prices have already gone up dramtically and there has been no improvement in service or reductions of delays and cancellations. And they wonder why some people have are abusive towards them! Provide a decent service and actually work for your money and everyone will be happy!!

What with congestion charging and poor road system, its unfortunate there are no proper alternatives, we are a "captured audience" and have no other means of getting to work. Will the government bring in legislation to ban striking, I hope so and very soon. Chances of that happening, very unlikely.

When will the f@cking greedy Unions be satisfied! when they all have 6 figure salaries and 365days holiday?

Sorry for the big rant, they p!ss me off big time!!!

Last edited by jonc; 16 December 2004 at 12:10 AM.
Old 16 December 2004, 01:19 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts
Thumbs down

While most of the wealth of this country is concentrated in the South East, and most of that, in London, you're gonna have a situation where transport and other unions can hold the workers to ransom.

It really is time HMG did what our continental neighbours do, and offer financial incentives to companies to locate away from the SE.............and stop concentrating their own wealth there too!

Alcazar
Old 16 December 2004, 03:03 PM
stevencotton
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I couldn't agree with both of you more. I understand there is a lot of pressure being a driver living in constant fear of a "one-under", but from my commuter point of view, striking because a driver fails to adhere to FOUR red lights is pure madness. Sack the ****, I don't want to die. And sack all those that back him!
Old 16 December 2004, 06:28 PM
jonc
Scooby Regular

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

The unions are supposidly there to protect their members of exploitation from their employers. Ironically its employers and commuting public that need protection from the greedy blackmailing militant unions. The Government should ban striking, there are other means of negotiating deals without holding the city to randsom.