Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Well done the government

Search this Thread

Old 15 December 2004, 06:13 PM
LG John
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Well done the government

It might just be me but over the last few years I've perceived a noticable change in attitudes towards diving fast under ANY circumstances on ANY public road. When I had my scooby posting about a friendly tussle with another marque on a quite road was usually met with an 'as long as it was safe and in good humour' thumbs up.

Now its frowned upon automatically by the majority if anyone even mentions that they hit 95mph or played with another car irrespective of the circumstances and behaviour of the drivers involved.

Sure our roads may be .01% safer but owning a fast car seems to be bloody boring now where you are automatically hung drawn and quartered if you dare to let the turbo spool up.

Its all part of this PC gone made mentallity that the governement seen to have drilled into people.

Finally, there seems to be an assumption that there are 3 categories of drivers:

a) those that have normal slow, usually unmodified cards = a-b people
b) those that have a 911, unmodified, never been over 60mph and still has a full compliment of rubber on the tyre shoulders = enthusiastic driver
c) those with any car that can do 0-60 in under 8s/or modified car/or has air filter/or has ever blasted it from a set of lights/or has gone over 100mph = boy racer.

It is just me or has category c started to include bloody everyone and anyone
Old 15 December 2004, 06:19 PM
Brendan Hughes
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Sorry, I think your Cat B = rich poser who doesn't know what his car is for but he heard it was the best one.
Old 15 December 2004, 06:22 PM
LG John
Scooby Regular

My point is brendon that most people on this board used to be in Cat B (enthusiastic driver) but I perceive that most opinions now put people of this nature in Cat C (boy racer)

What do you drive?

Impreza - ah you're a boy racer then!
M3 - ah you're a boy racer then!
172/182/CTR - ah you're a boy racer then!
A turbo'd.... - ah you're a boy racer then!
S2000 - ah you're a boy racer then!
It has 3.0+ - ah you're a boy racer then!
Old 15 December 2004, 06:26 PM
Brendan Hughes
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Er, I don't think most people on this board have never been over 60mph...

I will contribute that since I left the UK in 1993 and have been back a few times, I've noticed that the average speed on the motorway is significantly slower, and it's not due to congestion. Bowling along at 95 was the norm, now it's barely 80. That's the threat of cameras for you.
milo
Scooby Regular

very thin line here and can see both sides

but at the end of the day, how would u feel if a relative of yours was killed by someone going too fast THINKING they knew what they were doing, but ended up losing control of the car? i guarantee you wouldnt care about how much fun owning a fast car should be then.

driving tests check to ensure you can drive within certain limits. personally i think people who feel they are capable of driving at some other limits (and do so) are arrogant, irrespective of how good they may or may not be. i know this is a boring point of view, but whatever.

maybe the real question should be: should driving limits, lessons and tests be changed to enable people to drive at higher limits.
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts
Thumbs down

SB: it's called brainwashing, and I agree with you.

They've done it with "speed kills" too, and "30% of accidents are caused by speeding" (note how that's been allowed to change from ".........are speed related":mad;

Witness the numpty on TV the other morning stating that uninsured rivers, untaxed drivers, and even drunk drivers, were not a problem, but speeders WERE!

OK, he was only a member of Joe Public, but he BELIEVES it!

Alcazar
Old 15 December 2004, 06:35 PM
LG John
Scooby Regular

I've noticed that the average speed on the motorway is significantly slower, and it's not due to congestion. Bowling along at 95 was the norm, now it's barely 80. That's the threat of cameras for you.
I agree that you are probably correct that speeds on motorways have dropped. However, I don't believe its the threat of camera's (you can see the bloody things if you look!). I believe its as alcazar says, 'brainwashing' The government have drilled it in over and over and over and over again that speed is this and speed is that, etc, etc.

I'm not going to argue that inappropriate speed can ever be good. Going fast and chucking a car around can be dangerous.....but it can be fun. In the same way playing rubgy can be fun but also dangerous. Bungee jumping, fun-dangerous. Playing concers without safety glases, fun-dangerous.

Fine we might all have a little less accidents in 10 years time but in ten year time we'll all walk around in padded clothing having learn politically corect rhyms at school, playing 'touch' rugby, driving like total pussies, and generally being scared to do anything unless we hurt ourselves or someone else and wind up in jail. The child of the 80s vs present day child thread of a few months back really hits it home.

I climbed trees and played on construction sites and I'm still here? I had a dump valve and decat but someone managed to keep my car on the road (in the main ) and not kill anyone How can this be???
Old 15 December 2004, 06:39 PM
milo
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Saxo Boy
I'm not going to argue that inappropriate speed can ever be good. Going fast and chucking a car around can be dangerous.....but it can be fun. In the same way playing rubgy can be fun but also dangerous. Bungee jumping, fun-dangerous. Playing concers without safety glases, fun-dangerous.
sure it can be fun.. so do it on a track day. rugby, bungee jumping and concers are all far less likely to injure a by-stander than hurling a car around the roads (well maybe not concers.. could have someones eye out with that)
Old 15 December 2004, 06:50 PM
LG John
Scooby Regular

Whilst milo makes a reasonable point: for those reading remember this is coming from someone that is ****/controlled enough to eat chicken in the morning and knows to the gram how much protien and carb he has consumed today and what he's burnt
Old 15 December 2004, 06:52 PM
LG John
Scooby Regular

And for what its worth I'm 100 fold more concerned about death or injury to friends and family caused by violent motiveless attack in the streets that them driving around yet the government seem to be doing very little to sort out the mobs and gangs of people fighting in cities throughout the country and people being beaten up for 'fun'
Old 15 December 2004, 06:54 PM
milo
Scooby Regular

Whilst milo makes a reasonable point: for those reading remember this is coming from someone that is ****/controlled enough to eat chicken in the morning and knows to the gram how much protien and carb he has consumed today and what he's burnt
shouldn't you be at the gym or eating your oats or something?
Old 15 December 2004, 06:57 PM
milo
Scooby Regular

And for what its worth I'm 100 fold more concerned about death or injury to friends and family caused by violent motiveless attack in the streets that them driving around yet the government seem to be doing very little to sort out the mobs and gangs of people fighting in cities throughout the country and people being beaten up for 'fun'
me too...

but they're not mutually exclusive events. just because x number of people are killed by violent attacks it doesnt mean that it's okay for 1% of x number of people to be killed by reckless driving.

but i agree that the govt should be doing something more pro-active about more than just driving offenses.
Old 15 December 2004, 07:05 PM
LG John
Scooby Regular

Not that I'm cynical but nabbing people for bouncing up on down on someones head on a saturday night required real polices work (costs money), court time (costs money) and jail time (costs money) where as doing people for speeding, driving hard, etc requires little policing (relatively) and MAKES MONEY Well its easy to see which one they should concentrate on and which one they should label as the 'problem' in our society
Old 15 December 2004, 07:19 PM
Wurzel
Scooby Senior

Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts

Think I will take my modded Impreza for a bouncing off the rev limiter rag on the public highway tomorrow and not worry about blue lights in my mirror
Old 15 December 2004, 07:32 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Think of the children that will see Xmas this year because, finally, ***** are starting to get the idea that driving past a school at 50 is TOTALLY out of order!

Carry on slapping the speeders!!

Lets get these dicks who still use their phones at the wheel too - fine them £1000 and slap 6 points on their license!!

Lets stop farting about with speeders, lets fine them a flat £500 and 5 points (first offence) .......................... save a child, SLOW DOWN you WALLIES!!

Pete
Old 15 December 2004, 07:35 PM
Wurzel
Scooby Senior

Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts

pslewis 4 PM
Old 15 December 2004, 08:21 PM
LG John
Scooby Regular

Think of the children that will see Xmas this year because, finally, ***** are starting to get the idea that driving past a school at 50 is TOTALLY out of order!
Nobody is debating this! These people MUST be punished hard. Those that have a rural blast or give it death going down a slip-road are less of a problem!
Old 16 December 2004, 12:14 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Its all a matter of how you cope with the vastly differing driving capabilities on the public roads. You might be perfectly capable of controlling a car at high speeds, both on the straights and round corners SB, but there is a great majority of drivers who don't even want to think of driving like that and could not cope with advanced car handling, or driving in company with others who are driving much faster.

If you were laying down the rules of the road, how would you legislate for that SB, so that all driver capabilities are catered for. The roads are for getting from A to B after all, not for what you call "boy racers" and all who pass the test are legally entitled to use the roads to get around the country.

Those of us with high performance cars like to drive faster obviously. I had a well tweaked Scooby and I have an M3 Evo now so am well in your "boy racer" class. I love to use the capabilities of my car but there is a time and a place. Crowded roads and motorways are not. Out in the country in the middle of the night is a different matter but if you break the law you have to accept the penalty when you are caught.

You had a frightening experience when you had your fuel surge incident, brought on also by high speed driving. You were lucky and got away with it, but what if you had hit someone and killed them. How would you feel about that now? You would not have been able to control the car to miss them in that case.

Speed is alright if used sensibly, but you have to remember your responsibilties to others on the roads.

Les
Old 16 December 2004, 12:33 PM
johnfelstead
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 53 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by pslewis

Lets stop farting about with speeders, lets fine them a flat £500 and 5 points (first offence) .......................... save a child, SLOW DOWN you WALLIES!!

Pete
couldnt agree more mr consistency http://bbs.scoobynet.co.uk/showthrea...lewis+speeding http://bbs.scoobynet.co.uk/showthrea...lewis+speeding
Old 16 December 2004, 03:02 PM
Andrew Dixon
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by johnfelstead
Consistently the devil's advocate perhaps ...?
Old 16 December 2004, 05:46 PM
LG John
Scooby Regular

If I'd hit someone during the fuel surge incident I'd not feel anything cause it would have been curtains. I'm not saying the government legislate for that kind of driving and I accept that if a police car had seen me hooning along the road that day he'd have pulled me over for a stiff talking too. What I am saying is that IMHO the government need to lay off these kind of enthusiastic drivers that have high performance cars, that do exploit the performance occassionally but always try to do so in as safe a manner as they can.

They need to put efforts into stopping the idiots that drive consistently at 95mph 2m from the car in front or people the hoon it in 20,30,40mph zones with trees, parked cars and all sorts of places for somebody to walk out from behind.

I for one am just a little fed up of the society that is developing whereby if you have a remotely fast car you are a boy racer. I mean, the guy with the Fiat Coupe in 'Other Marques' at the moment posted an interesting tale of a run with a WR1, gave information on his car and in no way tried to wind people up or slag off the scooby but instantly peeps were on him for having played with the WR1
Old 16 December 2004, 06:20 PM
johnfelstead
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Originally Posted by Andrew Dixon
Consistently the devil's advocate perhaps ...?
consistently inconsistent.
Old 16 December 2004, 06:43 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Red face

Originally Posted by johnfelstead
John, seriously mate - you need to see a doctor!!

Anyone who would trail back more than 4 years of posts done by one member needs help, AND FAST!!

Now, I know you are a complete obsessive (sp?) but this is unhealthy!!

See a quack tomorrow, will you please?? I will only worry about you over Xmas if you don't!

PM me and let me know what he says - he may wish to talk to the object of your desire (me) I will be haoppy to help you out any way I can!

Pete
Old 16 December 2004, 07:07 PM
Fuzz 2
Scooby Regular

John, seriously mate - you need to see a doctor!!
Naa, you got the wrong John..

Andy
Old 16 December 2004, 07:51 PM
johnfelstead
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

LOL

I have a good memory for some things pete, so I remember you in the good ole days before you became a complete ******* on here, yes, you used to talk more sense way back when until you became a troll and found that was entertaining. I simply put your username "pslewis" and the word "speeding" into search and up poped those 2 threads, hence the naming convention on the files. No trawling through years of posts needed. Try it yourself. unfortunately search is bobbins, so it didnt bring up the post I remembered you making I was looking for.
Old 16 December 2004, 08:38 PM
LG John
Scooby Regular

No offense pete I have no beef with you but I must say I have noticed that your posts are far more aggressive these days? I remember when you used to be pretty chilled too? Why the change?
Old 16 December 2004, 09:38 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

I'm as chilled as a chilly thing thats been chilled in the chilliest part of the chiller

Some people are sooooooooooooooo easy to get going it would be rude of me not to!!

Ice Cool Pete
Old 16 December 2004, 10:39 PM
Lum
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Wurzel
Think I will take my modded Impreza for a bouncing off the rev limiter rag on the public highway tomorrow and not worry about blue lights in my mirror
Is it stuck in 1st, or something? :P
Old 16 December 2004, 10:58 PM
Teed
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by pslewis
I'm as chilled as a chilly thing thats been chilled in the chilliest part of the chiller

Some people are sooooooooooooooo easy to get going it would be rude of me not to!!

Ice Cool Pete
your gettin old.

buy a brown car to go with your brown trousers.

"im not old" reply followed by mine:

" I'm as chilled as a chilly thing thats been chilled in the chilliest part of the chiller

Ice Cool Teed"""

LOL the irony of it all. i love it. i love to run people over so do all people who speed.. you crazy *** its those crunchy bones they give great road feel.

why doesnt everyone just get on with it and let it follow a natural course.
if the government want us to slow down they WILL makes us and if the government want us to implant ID chips @ birth the WILL do.

just do what the *** you want.

Last edited by Teed; 16 December 2004 at 11:01 PM.
Old 17 December 2004, 12:22 AM
SCOSaltire
Scooby Regular

agree with the point that speeding is now "seen" as the route of all evil on the roads.
its totally got out of control.

id play devils advocate on the rural blast tho - being someone who has cycled alot, the main places to cycle are rural roads. a few times ive had close shaves with a$$holes going too fast and almost hitting me - so much so that it got to a point that id save energy to "blast" past a corner incase some nutter came round it at the apex.

on the other hand, i cant wait to get out in my elise on the rural roads

guess its very easy when going fast (read, speeding) and overstep into dangerous.

neways, im off the point now - point that i was going to make is that they are trying to either:
1> take as much money as possible
2> dont have the brains or control of authorities to introduce proper policing of roads or anything else
3> are trying to account for the worst drivers at all times.

because of 3 - i think that we should be graded as drivers - and better trained drivers should be allowed performance cars and be allowed to go a bit faster - as they will be as safe as Betty or Bertie at 40 mph on that old roman road . . .

but it wont happen because of 1 and 2

Quick Reply: Well done the government