Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Are the police any good for anything?

Search this Thread

Old 11 December 2004, 01:00 AM
Jap2Scrap
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Are the police any good for anything?

Sorry if this comes across as bitter and twisted but that's because it is.

Had my car keyed tonight, severely, over 3/4 of the car

My girlfriend looked out of the window and saw it being done and recognised the 15 YEAR OLD GIRL doing it while her mates stood around watching. We shouted and they scarpered so off we went in hot pursuit. We caught up with the group but the offender wasn't there. They all grassed her immediately and said they'd tell the police everything cos they'd not wanted her to do it.

So off we go to the police station armed with one trashed car, the name and address of the girl who'd done it, my girlfriend's eyewitness account and the promise of testimony from five other girls.

"Sorry sir, there's not really enough evidence!"

Am I alone in thinking this is F*CKING OUTRAGEOUS?

No wonder the public have no faith in the police. They were round fast enough when someone accused my gf's son of something less severe that he hadn't done and that was at 11.45pm!

So now I'm looking at either a huge bill or an insurance claim which will amount to the same thing next year.. I'm so pissed off.

new hosting!

http://photobucket.com/albums/v614/oxas/

Last edited by Jap2Scrap; 11 December 2004 at 11:38 AM.
Old 11 December 2004, 01:02 AM
TurboKitty
Scooby Regular

If you know who did it, and have witnesses, you may be able to take civil action against the girl's parents. I'd get some advice.
Old 11 December 2004, 01:03 AM
Jap2Scrap
Scooby Regular

You think? The police seemed to think it was unlikely I'd get any compensation regardless of whether some evidence suddenly appeared.
Old 11 December 2004, 01:05 AM
NotoriousREV
Scooby Regular

Civil action, it's the only way to make her learn a lesson.
Old 11 December 2004, 01:07 AM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

I'm speechless....well, truthfully I'm not as every 2nd word would be a profanity
TurboKitty
Scooby Regular

I've not been in that situation, so I'm not sure, but I'd think it's worth getting some legal advice. After all, it's been known for families of murder victims to bring civil cases when the police wouldn't/couldn't act.
NotoriousREV
Scooby Regular

Quietly ask the police about their complaints procedure as they're duty bound to investigate a crime, especially when there are witnesses.

Trending Topics

Old 11 December 2004, 01:08 AM
Jap2Scrap
Scooby Regular

Yeah, thanks TK.. I will do it. Hell I get free solicitors through work, might as well use 'em.
Old 11 December 2004, 01:10 AM
Jap2Scrap
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by NotoriousREV
Quietly ask the police about their complaints procedure as they're duty bound to investigate a crime, especially when there are witnesses.
I didn't even get a crime number! The plod on the desk said it will get allocated to a bobby sometime next week for him to look over the evidence but not to wait to hear anything and probably best just getting it done on insurance. His words of wisdom.. "What goes around usually comes around." My reply, "I guess I'll be waiting awhile until she gets a car I can go f*ck up."
Old 11 December 2004, 01:19 AM
Dracoro
Scooby Regular

"What goes around usually comes around."
Should have retorted with "Oh, right so what did I do that deserved my car getting fooked then eh?"

Always ask/say you're gonna quote them when they say things like this. If you do complain that nothing's being done, be sure to use the quote. Although, TBH it's not the police's fault, it the govt. underfunding that leaves them no resources to protect you and your car. Mind you, they still get the cash with them camera's etc.
Old 11 December 2004, 01:29 AM
ajm
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Jap2Scrap
I didn't even get a crime number! The plod on the desk said it will get allocated to a bobby sometime next week for him to look over the evidence but not to wait to hear anything and probably best just getting it done on insurance. His words of wisdom.. "What goes around usually comes around." My reply, "I guess I'll be waiting awhile until she gets a car I can go f*ck up."
You have a name, you should be able to get an address. Go and redress the balance if you are satisfied you have the right person. You owe it to yourself and you owe it to the next person's property she does that to.

If you don't want to do it then find someone who does.... it might not feel like it but the fact you know who did it puts you in a much better position than 99% of people who have ther car damaged, so don't waste it!

Where abouts do you live btw?
Old 11 December 2004, 01:30 AM
Jap2Scrap
Scooby Regular

My home's in Southampton but this happened at my gf's in Pontefract.

edited to say: before you think I drive a long way for a **** I'm working in Leeds at the moment!

Last edited by Jap2Scrap; 11 December 2004 at 01:32 AM. Reason: to clarify!
Old 11 December 2004, 01:43 AM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

yes they are.I like them in their uniform
Old 11 December 2004, 01:44 AM
ajm
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Jap2Scrap
My home's in Southampton but this happened at my gf's in Pontefract.

edited to say: before you think I drive a long way for a **** I'm working in Leeds at the moment!
The reason I asked where you live is that if you were local I could have advised you not to talk to some people locally who could have been inclined to "assist" with your predicament. I would advise anyone in the Pontefract area to also avoid such action.....

The damage did genuinely make me wince for what its worth... the fact that the young "lady" responsible felt nothing after the first artistic "flourish" on panel number one should help mitagate any misconceived ideas that you (or whoever) are dealing with a human being when the time comes.

(p.s. never, ever scratch cars in Portishead!)
Old 11 December 2004, 01:56 AM
SiDHEaD
Scooby Regular

That really is appalling Sorry to see it!! I hope you get a satisfactory outcome.

And here was me worried about a 6inch "key" someone did on my car after i'd had it a week..
Old 11 December 2004, 01:58 AM
Comper100
Scooby Regular

That it unbeliveable, i can't understand why they do it. You must be gutted mate

Comper100
Old 11 December 2004, 05:20 AM
scrappydoo
Scooby Regular

I cant believe that mate. Theres just no point buying stuff anymore and taking care of it. Well i normally wouldnt advise this but if you cant get anywhere with the law after a while wait till the cow goes out and then take a spray can to the bitches house and key her windows for good measure. You could also pour bleach over the grass and post shat in her letter box but that might be taking it abit too far, depends how you feel really mate Hope you do something about it though.

Ditto Sidhead
Old 11 December 2004, 07:20 AM
Iwan
Scooby Regular

I can well believe it. I had my wallet pinched from a gym before, they had no lockers so it was behind reception for safe keeping. 4 ******* walked in when the reception girl was in the back room, one leaned round the desk and grabbed the first wallet he saw - mine. 3 of us including the gym manager gave chase, the manager had been across the room and seen everything - as had another customer.

We gave chase and caught the 3 mates but the thief kept running, the mates were happy to grass up the runner given a bit of persuasion. Police were called, they went round to ******* address for a chat, then came back and told me there wasn't enough evidence to arrest him OR even search his house.
Old 11 December 2004, 07:31 AM
MooseRacer
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ajm
(p.s. never, ever scratch cars in Portishead!)
I thought Portishead residents still used the horse and cart as their primary means of transport?.

Peasants most of them after all.....
Old 11 December 2004, 08:04 AM
Jaybird-UK
Scooby Regular

******* bitch, have you confronted her parent(s) ?

Personally I'd go back to the police station and demand action.

useless
Old 11 December 2004, 08:14 AM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts
Thumbs down

The police will only bother with things thay WANT to. Witness the amount of time spent on anti-speeding, even though a few chief constables are now beginning to realise that it's p*ssing the public off, and that drivers see them as bully boys, tax gatherers and enforcers for government. You can see this as one or two chief contables have already begun the whine;" we are only obeying orders".

This last year, we've had a £1600 mountain bike stolen from our garage, (got a crime number ), and my son's car was deliberately rammed by another car full of pikey lookalikes ( ), (WE had to go in and report it, no follow-up!:mad;

BUT: my youngest and two mates took a short cut across the junior school field on their way home, and one of them told the teacher who came out and started yelling at them to "go away" :, and we all three families got visits from TWO plod!!!!!!!!!!!!

And before anyone says I'm condoning behaviour like my son's and his mates', I'm not, but I'm pretty p*ssed off at the police's idea of priorities

Alcazar
Old 11 December 2004, 09:11 AM
ajm
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by MooseRacer
I thought Portishead residents still used the horse and cart as their primary means of transport?.

Peasants most of them after all.....
Well don't scratch our carts either then, ok?

There does seem to be a large influx of chavs aroud here recently though... I walked through a HUGE fight (20+ people) on the way from the curry restaurant to the taxi office last night. They must be coming in from places like Keynsham!
Old 11 December 2004, 09:11 AM
zoog
Scooby Regular

Jap2scrap

Sorry to read about your car.

Nothing surprises me anymore about our criminal justice system:

My neighbour, my wife amd me witnessed at about midnight some weeks back a drunk 17 year old driver crash his dad's car in our street, after taking it without consent, writing off a parked vehicle belonging to another neighbour in the process. I saw him decamp from his dad's wrecked vehicle and try to steal other cars in the street to get away! I called the police and I ID'd him with the police further up the street afterwards and they arrested him. Spent most of the next 3 hours giving detailed statements until 3am making me knackered for work next day.

A week later police visit to "clarify" statement - the original plod had done it on the wrong paperwork - and warned me that it was not likely to proceed further "due to lack of evidence".

LACK OF EVIDENCE?

3 witnesses
detailed statements
2 trashed cars
positive ID on culprit
positive breath and blood tests

What more evidence could they concievably have?

....I might as well take up armed robbery for a living - pays well and they'd never amass enough evidence!

Last edited by zoog; 11 December 2004 at 09:16 AM.
Old 11 December 2004, 09:22 AM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you arent happy, ring the discipline and complaints section of the force in question.

I would turn up in the car and how the parents what she has done, if they have any decency they will pay, if not keep at the Police.

Why would a fifteen year old girl do that ?
Old 11 December 2004, 09:27 AM
Walwal
Scooby Regular

Bad news about the motor mate.

The police aren't bothered about stuff like that until it happens to one of them. Then it's classed as an international situation.

They couldn't care less about the people that are actually paying their wages i.e. us taxpayers.

Andy.
Old 11 December 2004, 09:31 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

I think that situation is disgraceful, hard to know what to do to force their hand to do something about it.

Sorry about the damage, difficult to undersatnd what makes them do it.

Les
Old 11 December 2004, 09:40 AM
apples24
Scooby Regular

if you play it right, visit her house all nicey nicey, speak to the parents etc

but it al depends on the type of people they are, if there proper people you stand a chance if play it right, state you have witnesses and her mates grasssed her up, a complete respray is in order at the sum of a min £1000 and you are considering starting cival action to the parents as they are the legal guardians etc etc

if there cackers ya have fooked it but most honest proper foke will choke, apologise and come to an arrangement with you
Old 11 December 2004, 10:10 AM
Chip
Scooby Regular

I was sat stationary in my car a few years ago when a 10 yr old girl rode her bike full whack into the front wing of my car. She was OK apart from a small cut on her leg. I went to see the parents who said it was tough and they wouldnt pay anything towards my car as she was only young and below the age of responsibility.They also said they didnt want it reported to the police.

Well I reported it and was duly cautioned and charged witrh driving without due care. even though I was stopped and she had lost control of a bike whilst riding on the pavement. Anyway I had harsh words with the Sargeant and called him a few things I maybe shouldnt have. Was told if I didnt pursue the clain against the girl charges would be dropped which they eventually were.

Guess what the girls fathers occupation was. Yes a policeman. So in answer to your question. From my experience, NO they arent good for anything .

Chip
Old 11 December 2004, 10:49 AM
DJ140
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Originally Posted by Chip
I was sat stationary in my car a few years ago when a 10 yr old girl rode her bike full whack into the front wing of my car. She was OK apart from a small cut on her leg. I went to see the parents who said it was tough and they wouldnt pay anything towards my car as she was only young and below the age of responsibility.They also said they didnt want it reported to the police.

Well I reported it and was duly cautioned and charged witrh driving without due care. even though I was stopped and she had lost control of a bike whilst riding on the pavement. Anyway I had harsh words with the Sargeant and called him a few things I maybe shouldnt have. Was told if I didnt pursue the clain against the girl charges would be dropped which they eventually were.

Guess what the girls fathers occupation was. Yes a policeman. So in answer to your question. From my experience, NO they arent good for anything .

Chip
They are good for asking directions in Town Centre's, if you can find one!

Every crime creates more paperwork for them, hence unless it's serious, in their opinion, they can't be bothered.

It's all to easy to blame funding problems, the problem seems to be the Police themselves aren't interested in solving crimes, it's just a job to them.

Make them do their job and cause as much noise as possible. They'll wish they'd investigated the crime in the first place!
Old 11 December 2004, 10:56 AM
Jap2Scrap
Scooby Regular

Well I know why it was done now. Apparently my gf's son and this girl had fallen out, they used to be 'good friends'. Also found out that her parents have split and her dad is a skinhead doorman... Great...

I'll call the old bill again today and see what I can encourage them to do, even if it's just to log it as a crime!

Gonna take awhile this and until then I'll be the one driving the Saxo with custom artwork!

As much as I'd love to take revenge somehow I'm not sure what good it'd do to cause problems for her parents. After all, whatever they have to say about it, and I'll find out today, they're not the ones who did it!

Quick Reply: Are the police any good for anything?