Dangerous Ebay Scam on the loose

Search this Thread

Old 10 December 2004, 08:57 AM
Stueyb
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dangerous Ebay Scam on the loose

Hi peeps,

Just a heads up for a dodgy email scam. IF you get "Question from Ebay Member" emails about stuff you ain't sold be VERY careful. I got one this morning about a mobile phone and was about to click on the reply link but then I got sensible and checked it out. This guy never bought a phone, or anything for that matter from an ebay account created yesterday.

Here is the text:-

Dear stueyb,

What in the world are you talking about? The title of your item was "Unlocked Razr V3." It was listed under mobile phones, NOT "information" or something like that. Additionally, if you're trying to refer me to a site to complete the purhcase of the phone, that is a violation of eBay's policy. It states: Listings that attempt to make sales outside of eBay are not permitted and will be ended. The Insertion Fee will be automatically credited for that listing. Examples:
Listings of catalogs from which buyers may directly order items are prohibited. In these situations, the seller will typically offer the catalog for low bid prices and complete sales outside of eBay for items found in the catalog.
The eBay item page cannot refer to or promote the seller's individual Web site, off eBay sales or other business. Finally, if you're trying to send me to one of those "matrix" sites, they are ILLEGAL. I want you to ship me the phone directly. Please let me know how fast it can be sent

To respond to this eBay member go to:
http://contact.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISA...Contact+Member

Thank you,
paulb799

Now Some of you may know already but there is a scam whereby legitimate sites can be hijacked because there is a hugh vulnerability in *all* browsers.

To read about it see below:

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2004/12...ploit_warning/
Old 10 December 2004, 09:16 AM
andrewdelvard
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ugh Thanks for that. Very inventive.