Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

They have these in my Local Asda and they are great
Old 07 December 2004, 02:58 PM
Andrew Dixon
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

from me too!

Did you know you can use that 4-digit code on your apples/oranges/etc. instead of having to navigate through all the menus after you've weighed 'em? Power user!!
Old 07 December 2004, 02:59 PM
Clarebabes
Scooby Regular

Safeway used to have those scanner things you used to take round with you. Guy I worked with said he never paid for his Saturday night steak once in the whole time they were there - never got caught!

I wouldn't condone that sort of behaviour as you could bet that I'd be the one to get stopped and scanned!
Old 07 December 2004, 03:00 PM
mad_dr
Scooby Regular

Is there anything you CAN'T scan yourself? Booze, CD's etc?
Old 07 December 2004, 03:01 PM
davegtt
Scooby Senior

never heard off or seen these things before??? shop in asda, misses aint mentioned them either, sounds good, whats to stop people missing the crate of beer through the scan then or something?
Old 07 December 2004, 03:01 PM
ajm
Scooby Regular

They have these in our local Waitrose, although what makes me suspicious is that in order to use them you have to have one of their "club cards". Why do they insist on this? Is it so they can track your purchases and bombard you with annoying junk mail?

I would use them if it wasn't for this illogical stipulation!
Old 07 December 2004, 03:02 PM
Andrew Dixon
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by mad_dr
Is there anything you CAN'T scan yourself? Booze, CD's etc?
Nah, anything's fair game. Although booze does sound an alarm so they can come over and check your age.

Not as easy as it sounds to cheat them though, as it weighs every item you put in your bag and compares it with the known weight for the item. So no sneaking bottles of whisky into the bag, etc.!
Old 07 December 2004, 03:50 PM
RB170
Scooby Regular

It's really annoying when you have an item that is too light to register on the conveyor belt

You have the throw the cadbury option sachets from 20 ft up and hope that they register
Old 07 December 2004, 03:59 PM
Petem95
Scooby Regular

Never seen these tills before, but sounds like a good idea, certainly from the supermarkets point of view - no employee to pay wages/pension/holiday for. I know theyve got these self-serve pay-at-the-pump things too - but something seems not quite right being able to go shopping and fill-up with fuel and have no real human contact.
Old 07 December 2004, 04:11 PM
Andrew Dixon
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Petem95
Never seen these tills before, but sounds like a good idea, certainly from the supermarkets point of view - no employee to pay wages/pension/holiday for. I know theyve got these self-serve pay-at-the-pump things too - but something seems not quite right being able to go shopping and fill-up with fuel and have no real human contact.
They still need someone to monitor the self-service tills, move the baskets, top-up the bags though. At my local Tesco and Sainsbury's it seems to be about 1 person to every 4 tills.
Old 07 December 2004, 04:28 PM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

Never seen these - sure it wasn't the staff clock out point Wonder if they'll get to do a similar thing at pumps outside? Buy 20 quid's worth of juice at my local Tesco mini-supermarket and you have to queue up while Mildred pays for her trolleyload weekly shop. Not busy enough for a dedicated **** and petrol till I suppose? DL
Old 07 December 2004, 04:36 PM
GaryK
Scooby Regular

Yes tesco's have done pay at pump for ages, saves a lot of messing around.
Old 07 December 2004, 04:47 PM
Jerome
Scooby Regular

My sister used to use these but got checked every time she went in there (never did anything wrong either). So she gave up and went back to conventional methods, which for her was quicker.
Old 07 December 2004, 05:19 PM
Chrisgr31
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ajm
They have these in our local Waitrose, although what makes me suspicious is that in order to use them you have to have one of their "club cards". Why do they insist on this? Is it so they can track your purchases and bombard you with annoying junk mail?

I would use them if it wasn't for this illogical stipulation!
I use Waitrose's version and it is fantastic. No increase in junk mail either. In fact their club card is fantastic as it is interest free! So if you don;t pay the bill one month no interest is added! Having said that you don't need to pay using their card, can use any debit or credit card.

You need thir card as they want to know who has the self scan and will presumably only allow trustworthy people to self-scan. I have been using ot for 2 years and only had my shopping chcked twice.

The Waitrose system saves time because you scan the items as you put them in your shopping bags in your trolley, and don;t take them out again ntil you get home. When you get to the till you just hand over the scanner. If you are chosen to be manually scanned then 3 staff members turn up, one to operate the till, one to unpack your bag, and one to repack it!
Old 07 December 2004, 05:20 PM
IWatkins
Scooby Regular

You actually go to the physical supermarket ? Erruugghhh.

Bring up favorites list on Tesco website, fill in a couple of details, select delivery time, that's a weeks shopping delivered to my house the next day. Now that is brilliant.

Ian
Old 07 December 2004, 05:49 PM
RB170
Scooby Regular

but only get half the stuff you actually ordered
Old 07 December 2004, 06:05 PM
IWatkins
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by RB170
but only get half the stuff you actually ordered
Yes, I've heard this complaint before, along with getting crap fruit, or just about to be out-of-date food etc.

But I've been using them for a year and half or so and I've never had stuff missing, nor had any of these other problems. I have however gained a bunch of bananas I didn't order and two bottles of JD when I only ordered one. Not charged for either items and when called up they said "keep them".

Maybe it is different depending which part of the country you are in etc. ?

Cheers

Ian
Old 07 December 2004, 06:05 PM
scoob_babe
Scooby Regular

Location: Nobody knows how to tie the simple knots that I know
Exclamation

Better keep your eye on your credit cards though - the self service tills do not validate ANYTHING which means you can use anyone's credit card, I've done this - Tescos in Wrexham know about this but it seems IT in head office or wherever its been outsourced to can't sort it out!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

PS - the home delivery service operates out of your local store so it will be different from town to town (same for Waitrose, Asda, Sainsbury and Tesco)

Last edited by scoob_babe; 07 December 2004 at 06:07 PM.
Old 07 December 2004, 06:09 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

We've got them over here too. About six machines at the local supermarket. Never used them myself but will do at some point. interesting point about the CC Anna, I will check here and see what they do. I know at petrol stations I can use my UK card at the pump with no problems at all.

Must say it is a convenient way of doing your shopping, usually no waiting in line.
Old 07 December 2004, 06:11 PM
Adrian F
Scooby Regular

Auto tills probably pay for the amount of thefts in reduced costs. dont like them my self rather deal with a person and at the end of the day it is all about making more profits for tesco's and if they were worried about Queues in Sainsbury's they would employ enough staff to serve you.

Still it is the same idea as out sourcing call centres to India some people like it some dont.
Old 07 December 2004, 06:12 PM
scoob_babe
Scooby Regular

Location: Nobody knows how to tie the simple knots that I know

Markus, I used Rich's credit card since I couldn't find mine - just swiped it and it accepted payment no question!!!
Like I said, we spoke to an Tesco person on the shop floor who said we weren't the first to comment about it. I only had about £10's worth but that Tesco stocks some pretty big electrical items - just think what I could have bought
Old 07 December 2004, 06:17 PM
RB170
Scooby Regular

Maybe but if that the case I should get the best service ever seeing as I live in Cheshunt "The Home Tesco"
Old 07 December 2004, 07:24 PM
StickyMicky
Scooby Regular

im confused

they wiegh your bag yeah,
so just have a full bag that you forget to wiegh?
Old 07 December 2004, 07:37 PM
Jerome
Scooby Regular

If anyone knows the Tesco's on Warwick Way in Pimlico, they would realise why the Home Delivery isn't always an option - it is an absolutely appalling store.

Funnily enough, even though it is one of the worst Tesco stores in the country, it makes the most money! At least it did until the massive new Sainsbury's opened around the corner on Belgrave Rd (weeks after I move away - *******).
Old 07 December 2004, 09:47 PM
ChrisB

Originally Posted by Andrew Dixon
Nah, anything's fair game. Although booze does sound an alarm so they can come over and check your age.

Not as easy as it sounds to cheat them though, as it weighs every item you put in your bag and compares it with the known weight for the item. So no sneaking bottles of whisky into the bag, etc.!
The self-service at my local Tesco doesn't weigh what you buy.
Old 07 December 2004, 10:03 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by scoob_babe
Markus, I used Rich's credit card since I couldn't find mine - just swiped it and it accepted payment no question!!!
Like I said, we spoke to an Tesco person on the shop floor who said we weren't the first to comment about it. I only had about £10's worth but that Tesco stocks some pretty big electrical items - just think what I could have bought
Yikes! Thought I'm sure Rich would not mind too much lol

I usually use my debit card, so have to punch in the pin, so that's a little added security. Will try the CC tomorrow and see what happens.
Old 07 December 2004, 10:30 PM
jbryant
Scooby Regular

Wink

Originally Posted by ChrisB
The self-service at my local Tesco doesn't weigh what you buy.
Even if it did, surely 750mls of top whisky weighs about the same as 750mls of "Sheffield Wednesday flavour" nasty value orange squash, right?

Quick Reply: Tesco self service tills - Brilliant