Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Worst Employer

Search this Thread

Old 06 December 2004, 06:30 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Worst Employer

Right, without opening Scoobynet to legal problems, name the worst employer you have had the misfortune to deal with.

Alledgedly M and S are no longer much fun to work for, run like a POW camp for the employees, obviously there are no gun emplacements but not far off.

Alledgedly Caudwell Communications arent much fun either. Everyone who I have known that has worked for them has left after a short time there.
Old 06 December 2004, 06:33 PM
ProperCharlie
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My old man.
Old 06 December 2004, 06:36 PM
weapon69
Scooby Regular

I'm on maternity leave from M&S and lets just say i won't be going back.....
Old 06 December 2004, 06:48 PM
Sugardaddyluvin
Scooby Newbie

I used to worked in a Halifax Call center in the mortgage department and hated every minute of it. Hated it even more than the meat processing factory I used to work in during the summer holidays and that was bad.
Old 06 December 2004, 06:52 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Magic and Sparkle my ****

Some alternatives

Misery and Suppresion
Money and Shareholders
Old 06 December 2004, 06:52 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Dont confuse the job being bad with the employers being bad, you can have a crap job but good employers and vice versa.
Old 06 December 2004, 07:14 PM
Andrew Dixon
Scooby Regular

A "friend" of mine works for a certain American owned international IT services company. The average wait between pay reviews is now 27 months, and the average rise around 2% ... free coffee though, so not all bad.
Old 06 December 2004, 07:18 PM
SiPie
Scooby Regular

Red face

Surely it's gotta be J4MOU's lot......

I mean............ I've worked for some ****ty places and although most people hated it, they just left or got on with it.

Certainly not 3 suicides in one department
Old 06 December 2004, 07:32 PM
sprinterjdk
Scooby Newbie

I work for a logistics provider on the M&S contract... not fun in any way, shape, or form
Old 06 December 2004, 07:40 PM
Dieseldog
Scooby Regular

Only when you've experienced the Rover, Longbridge car plant can you truly appreciate the meaning of the words 'futile', 'pointless', 'soul destroying' and 'bleak'
Old 06 December 2004, 07:49 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Dieseldog, I have a Rover, I can sort of see where you are coming from....

Its not really that bad.
Old 06 December 2004, 08:50 PM
NotoriousREV
Scooby Regular

My last permanent employer. Small company (one man band when I joined) run by a schizophrenic, manic depressive, bi-polar personality. I didn't realise how much my health and state of mind had suffered until I got made redundant. It was like a huge weight being lifted.

Imagine, if you will, having a conversation with your employer via e-mail and certain decisions being made. 6 weeks later, those decision would be questioned and even after printing off the e-mails and showing them to him, he refused to admit he'd ever been consulted

The accountant left after telling him that if he didn't stop spending money personally and employ a salesman the company would go under. A week later he bought a second house (that no surveyor would touch without a briefcase full of money) and employed a "Customer Delivery Manager" who had no sales experience at all.
Old 06 December 2004, 09:17 PM
ChrisB

Alledgedly Caudwell Communications arent much fun either. Everyone who I have known that has worked for them has left after a short time there.
My Dad has worked for them...

A very good friend joined the IT team in one of their group companies. He quit after one day.
Old 06 December 2004, 09:27 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

StickyMicky's Car wash Called me a Chav and abused me in public!!

pete
Old 06 December 2004, 09:31 PM
pflowers
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

How about a worst employee thread ? there's always two sides to every story
Old 06 December 2004, 09:33 PM
TURBORAY
Scooby Regular

well couldn't help but reply to this thread , i work for lynx express courier company , been with them for two and a half years .have worked my way up the ladder from the bottom , i have recently had promotion with the promise of pay rise ,company car ,fuel card , company phone etc ,but since our relocation of depot's i have transfered from hourly pay to salary , i am payed for 37.5 hours per week but am expected to work anything up to 13 -14 hour shifts for no extra money . since going over to salaried pay which is monthly i was payed for all my overtime before ,resulting in me now working for on average of 6-700 pound a month less than what i was earning on hourly pay . there was no advance for me when i changed over from weekly to 4 weekly hence i had a major struggle financialy as i am the only one who works in our house hold . if i knew what i know now when i started working for them i would never have taken the job with them .all i get told when i bring my wages up is that i should come to work for job satisfaction not how much money you are taking home at the end of the month. in this day you should get payed for the hours you work not the fact you are on salary and should do the extra hours for nothing. they wouldn't like it if they were in the situation that i am in. their getting their penny worth out of it.
Old 06 December 2004, 10:35 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Pflowers, agreed there should be, I have worked with the ultimate employee from hell.
Old 06 December 2004, 11:33 PM
Lum
Scooby Regular

Small firms are worse I reckon.
I did a six month contract that was advertised and paid like a permanant position, I was supposed to be an IT assistant.
We had a 68 year old founder/owner/director who makes pslewis's attitudes to life seem like someone from the loony left, he hated technology and anything to do with it and thus resented my being there as they dont need them computer things. He also has this annoying habbit of creeping silently around the building and suddenly appearing over your shoulder and asking what you're doing.
Then we had the two sons who were also directors, one of whom loved gadgets though he had no clue how to use them and why, and would waste hours of my time getting his iPaq to sync email/calendar with his desktop and his laptop to sync email, then for the email to get SMSed to him, and for the iPaq to also sync with the laptop, then would ignore every event in his outlook calendar (when you opened outlook, literally 30 outstanding events would cascade across the screen) and stick post-it notes around the office to remind himself to do stuff.
The other director was great but didn't have anything to do with the IT side of the business. He also drives a Scooby so obviously a man of good taste and I hope he isn't reading this thread
Anyway, my immediate boss eventually left leaving me as the sole IT person, but they still didn't make my job permanant, they kept exending my contract for 6 weeks. You can't keep working like that, with no idea if you're going to have a job in a few weeks time, eventually I found another job, arranged the start date to co-incide with the next contract expiry, and declined their offer of an extension.
At least I was hourly paid, and thus got overtime, but it wasn't useful since their clocking machine rounded the time up by 15 minutes on arrival and down by 15 minutes on departure, so if you arrived at 9:01 and left at 16:59 you got docked half an hours pay. I also wasn't trusted to lock the place up and leave last, so my overtime schedule was based on when they had shop floor work on that was going to be late finishing, have you ever tried to maintain a server when you cannot do out of hours work? having to run around all the offices and tell everyone to save their work before you can reboot after the latest service pack.
They still phone me from time to time needing help and I've gone in a couple of times to fix stuff, and charged contracting rates, but I'm so glad to be out of there.
Old 07 December 2004, 12:21 AM
Vegescoob
Scooby Regular

So, lots of happy folks in TB's NL wonderland!
Old 07 December 2004, 09:32 AM
davegtt
Scooby Senior

not worked there myself but the misses works at asda, they get my vote (unless there giving me my 10% discount on beer at the weekends lol
Old 07 December 2004, 10:58 AM
MattW
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Andrew Dixon
A "friend" of mine works for a certain American owned international IT services company. The average wait between pay reviews is now 27 months, and the average rise around 2% ... free coffee though, so not all bad.
That's not a 3 letter company name ending in M, also make hardware is it
Old 07 December 2004, 11:23 AM
RB170
Scooby Regular

EDS

What a bunch of cowboys......unfortunately I'm still employed by them
Old 07 December 2004, 01:13 PM
mike1210
Scooby Regular

My worst company by far is a certain TV rental company in south Wales. By far the worst job of my life. There have been quite a few documentaries about them on channel 4 about the way they treat their customers
Old 07 December 2004, 03:33 PM
C
Scooby Regular

I think my current job ranks pretty highly in terms of the clueless moron brigade.

The company has SO much potential, but the idiots in control lially do not have a clue how to steer us the way it should be going.

Its a bit of a laughing stock by all accounts
Old 07 December 2004, 03:58 PM
scunnered
Scooby Regular

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I work for a Taiwanese computer company. Nobody has had a wage rise since the place opened eight years ago unless they had a promotion. I've been here for six and a half years. I've had to take out bank loans just to survive. I'm really scunnered (hence the username) with the place.
At least I get to surf the internet all day with no restrictions.

[ scunnered is a popular term in Scotland for being really pished off ]
Old 07 December 2004, 04:33 PM
princessyin
Scooby Regular

sports soccer aka sports world, heard dere managements like utter w**kers. but i'm happy in my job lol
Old 07 December 2004, 04:37 PM
King RA
BANNED

Originally Posted by RB170
EDS

What a bunch of cowboys......unfortunately I'm still employed by them

Had friends working for them in Uxbridge after an outsource of their previous company. All 4 had left within the month.
Old 07 December 2004, 07:28 PM
StickyMicky
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Dieseldog
Only when you've experienced the Rover, Longbridge car plant can you truly appreciate the meaning of the words 'futile', 'pointless', 'soul destroying' and 'bleak'
or you could try the nissan plant in sunderland where they make you do FAR MORE WORK for LESS MONEY??

YOU HAD IT EASY!!!!!!
Old 07 December 2004, 07:33 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts
Angry

Tesco apparently charge their staff, the young ones at college etc, £8 for a fleece with Tesco on it, to keep 'em warm on the tills, and they aren't allowed to wear anything different

Safeway, thyankfully no longer with us, were guilty of employing girls in preference to boys.

Alcazar

Quick Reply: Worst Employer