Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

House Alarm

Search this Thread

Old 22 November 2004, 05:35 PM
Jon_Murgie
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default House Alarm

Having recently moved into a detached house and have stopped working from home I'm a little bit concerned about house security... so fancied getting a house alarm installed.

Do many people have house alarms?
Do you actually use it?
Do you feel it's useful?

If I decide to get one is there anything specific I should look out for... kinda worried about having a company install it then rob your house later!!

Any advice very much welcomed

Cheers
Jon
Old 22 November 2004, 05:38 PM
Brendan Hughes
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

http://bbs.scoobynet.co.uk/showthread.php?t=340221
Old 22 November 2004, 07:06 PM
paulr
Scooby Regular

Talking

Weve got one,fitted by a local guy,wired into the mains,sensors in the corners,dont bother with door sensors.
Feel loads safer now.

Recommended.
Old 22 November 2004, 07:48 PM
Shark
Scooby Regular

Jon

I think mine is the mutt’s nuts. I have one, Dad does and I have one at my business. It gives me great peace of mind when we go out, and if we are in and going to bed.

I guess that your thinking about getting a monitored system? I think there is little point in having one that doesn’t call the Police.

I have door sensors and PIRs. To call the Police two sensors have to be activated. So if you get a single activation you get a call and sort it, but if someone breaks in, the Police are called. At night my system alarms the bottom of the house with the same result. In addition you can have a panic button. Another useful feature is the duress alarm. If you are threatened when entering / leaving you switch off the alarm with a different code and that calls the Police, with them in the knowledge that you are being threatened.

The most important thing is to make sure that sensors are placed so that if you get a break in you get the double activation required to call the Police. Shock sensors on the doors / windows and movement sensors in the room.

As for companies I use http://www.cityalarms.co.uk/ I found them by recommendation and would suggest that you do the same if they’re not in your area. If you want to use City Alarms contact me and I will make sure they look after you.

David