Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Postal problems from Devon?!

Search this Thread

Old 20 November 2004, 11:44 PM
Tim Caddick
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Postal problems from Devon?!

OK - Here's the story. Got some new wheels, tyre shop broke the lugs off the center caps. Need some new ones. Rang RareRims who are in Crediton, Devon, who said they would post a set out, free of charge (thank you very much). One week later, nothing. Rang again, spoke to someone else, many apologies, will post out another set free of charge 1st class mail (thank you very much again), should get next day. Still nothing 3 days later. Rang once more, will post out another set free of charge. Next day, nothing.

Now the fellas that I spoke to seemed very pleasant & helpful on the phone, & I've heard nothing but good things about them here on Scoobynet, so assuming that they're genuine & I'm not being given the runaround, is the Royal Mail really this **** from Devon to Swindon, or am I expecting too much?

I'll agree that on the last occasion, I've only given it 24 hours, but a hit rate of 0 out of 3 is p!ss poor.
Old 20 November 2004, 11:53 PM
MARK MORRIS
Scooby Regular

maybe, i work for royal mail, sold something on ebay last week, packed it in a jiffy bag, addressed to N16 in london, return address on back to SA14, went into work, put it in the N16 bag, about 4 days later it comes back through my letterbox, it clearly had to and from written above the addresses as well, must be some postie muppets working in N16 office
mark
Old 21 November 2004, 12:06 AM
Tim Caddick
Scooby Regular

It's a shame, because I've always had great faith in our postal service until last month when a package that was sent to work on a 1st class Recorded Delivery never made it to our store in the 15 working day period that you have to wait through before they'll do anything. In fact, it still hasn't turned up 6 weeks after it was posted. What with the recent scaremongering from Watchdog, & the center cap episode, I don't have a great deal of confidence.

Looks like I may have to pay to have the stuff sent by courier, or buy the caps in from the States or Canada. *** Pain The In (arrange as appropriate)!
Old 21 November 2004, 12:53 AM
MARK MORRIS
Scooby Regular

i know one of the programs on telly lately about royal mail was a set up and not real, they apologised(spelling) to us last week, but things do go missing, there are scum employed who steal but any that are found out are sacked by my experience
mark
Old 21 November 2004, 01:02 AM
TDT
Scooby Regular

Mark,

How do you get hold of your investigations bods? I've tried getting 0845 740740 to deal with an issue we have but I just get the standard letter and a book of 1st Class stamps (wont have to pay for a letter until 2104!).

I suspect you wouldn't wan't to post on open forum, so feel free to drop me a PM if you can help.

Cheers
Old 21 November 2004, 01:53 AM
MARK MORRIS
Scooby Regular

hi
im sorry but im not sure, i know my wife had a letter go missing before and all she got was a book of stamps as well, what we are told in work is that every complaint is looked into and that it costs rm money each time, have you tried going to your local sorting office and making a complaint ?
i lost something i sent last year, took it into work, put it on the fitting ready to be sent later at night as i was on hols , it never arrived, had a scout around the office when i returned from ibiza but it wasnt around, six weeks later still no sign of it, disappeard somewhere, you do get problems out of our control, northampton mail centre burnt down last year, you get vans broken into and mail bags stolen, its not all the posties fault, sorry i cant help you more
good luck
mark
Old 21 November 2004, 08:48 AM
highlander68k
Scooby Regular

I've been disappointed with the really slow mail at the moment. It's taking upto 6 days for a 1st class letter to get there in some cases.

I do have good things to say too. I posted a letter from Great Yarmouth at 4.45 pm and it arrived in Coupar Angus the next morning

A friend of mine done a survey in their local village. They posted 12 items exactly the same from 12 different post boxes. After 9 months only 6 have managed to arrive.

Royal Mail stated that first class mail is not considered delayed until 5 working days after it should have arrived. - No wonder they're losing money!
Old 21 November 2004, 09:12 AM
Scoob99
Scooby Regular

Wink

Mark you have opened a Tin of worms now mate BTW I work at the Bedford office
Cheers
Colin
Old 21 November 2004, 09:53 AM
ethanrob
Scooby Regular

i work in sheffield(penistone)office and at the moment we are running 2nd class letters next day locally as we are in front of processing but some areas are really struggleing to keep up,your best bet mate would be to speak to rarerims and get them to send you the centres via special delivery,obviously you will have to pay for this but will guarantee next day before 1pm

mark
Old 21 November 2004, 10:17 AM
Tim Caddick
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Thanks everyone for your replies. So it's not just me then - i was getting paranoid.

Thanks for your advice Mark (Ethanrob), already sent Rarerims an email suggesting a special delivery arrangement.
Old 21 November 2004, 10:31 AM
MARK MORRIS
Scooby Regular

so, there a few of us on here
mark
Old 21 November 2004, 10:40 AM
NotoriousREV
Scooby Regular

I feel really sorry for posties at the moment, RM is being run into the ground by management and it's the posties getting the flak for it. Of course, I'm sure there are good and bad guys out there, but you only remember the letters that get lost, don't you?
Old 21 November 2004, 10:59 AM
Tim Caddick
Scooby Regular

Wink

Yes, I'm sure the posties are under it at the moment, & bad press and poor management aren't gonna help. This thread is not meant to be a postie bashing forum, just a way to see if there's a particular problem with mail from Devon. I'll probably get all 3 packages this week!
Old 21 November 2004, 11:40 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Our post in Devon has always been pretty good although I have heard plenty of horror stories about different areas. Hope its turns up soon anyway.

Les
Old 21 November 2004, 11:45 AM
TDT
Scooby Regular

Angry

A letter arrived yesterday morning dated 2nd September. That's with a 1st Class stamp on. Stuff for our wedding reception which I know was posted hasn't turned up. My last two payslips have gone missing despite being in envolopes marked "On Her Majestys Service".

We've seen our delivery officer posting stuff back into the post box. I've reported it to Royal Mail customer services AND the delivery office manager. They don't give a toss IMHO.

Roll on Deutche Poste serving the UK

Last edited by TDT; 21 November 2004 at 11:47 AM.
Old 21 November 2004, 12:07 PM
Tim Caddick
Scooby Regular

I should have added that if I order another set of center caps from RareRims, I'll be pushing for a special delivery via a non-Royal Mail courier, just to be on the safe side.
Old 21 November 2004, 04:24 PM
Scoob99
Scooby Regular

TDT,
You are the second person I know of who has seen this, as Far as I'm aware this is not normal practice, but Deutche Post, and you think we are bad, you have seen nothing if they get involved.
Cheers
Colin
Old 21 November 2004, 05:39 PM
deano
Scooby Regular

Devon has it's own time zone. A friend in Sidmouth needed her t.v tuning in but she didn't know how to do it The t.v man said he needed THREE WEEKS notice.