Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

A question for those who have had a child recently...

Search this Thread

Old 20 November 2004, 03:03 PM
Suresh
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Mike is twelve weeks and sleeps 10 - 15 hours a day.

The rest of the time he's either at his mother's breast, smiling happily and gurgling or crying his head off!

Suresh
Old 20 November 2004, 03:21 PM
scoobypreza
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That sounds like a great start to me. Really don't worry.
Believe me he won't sleep if he doesn't want to.

The biggest mistake we ever made was wake Adam up for visitors ect and now he doesn't sleep for longer than 2-3 hours!!!!

My friend had a 9lb baby and he slept a lot when he was born. He is now a fantastic sleeper he sleeps 12hours at night and 2-3 hours at least in the day. He's 5months now and growing well and loves his food.

He will be awake for longer periods as he gets older and stronger.
And he'll soon tell you when he's hungry.

The midwife might tell you not to let him go longerthan 5-6hours without a feed but I'm sure he tells you when he's hungry.

All my books and magazines say 18hours is normal I just want to cry when I read that I'm sooooo exhausted I wish adam would sleep for even 8 hours just once so I can catch up,.
He'll be 7months soon and I've not had more than 3hours sleep in one go since he was born!!!!!!!!

Enjoy the sleepy times. He'll become more alert and active very soon.
I hope all is well and I'm so glad he didn't have the nasty infection.

Best Wishes
Cath
xxx
Old 20 November 2004, 04:55 PM
Tiggs
Scooby Regular

18-20 hrs = 4-6 hrs of having a stinky, screaming, expensive thing wrecking your life......consider yoursleves lucky he's so tired!

i have 3 and wish they would sleep till their 21 then wake up and move out.
Old 20 November 2004, 05:00 PM
ajm
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Tiggs
18-20 hrs = 4-6 hrs of having a stinky, screaming, expensive thing wrecking your life......consider yoursleves lucky he's so tired!

i have 3 and wish they would sleep till their 21 then wake up and move out.
LOL!

Congrats on the sprog btw B2Z!
Old 20 November 2004, 05:54 PM
andypugh2000
Scooby Regular

I have no kids and intend things to stay that way but then again I said i would never re-marry!! Next doors baby slept for many hours and they had the attitude of he will tell us when he is hungry and sure enough he did then settled straight back down again, almost perfect in someways

andy
Old 20 November 2004, 09:34 PM
wah
Scooby Regular

Location: Stockport Cheshire Xbox Gamertag: Scooby WRX SMACS Member

How the hell do you lot get your babys to sleep for so long at night ours is 6 months now and he is wanting milk like every 2-3 hours he's a nightmare !!!
Old 20 November 2004, 09:46 PM
wah
Scooby Regular

Location: Stockport Cheshire Xbox Gamertag: Scooby WRX SMACS Member

Yeah he has been in his own room for some time now, it's rather difficult to leave him if you have children already in the house ( 5yr old ) who's bedroom is next to the little ones, we have tried to leave him but s1ht if coz off on one, we tried the water trick at night and damn he didn't like that Idea, he was weaned onto solids just after 4 months coz milk was not enough for him, he now kills off 2 rtins of baby food and to fromage frais before bed !!!!!!
Old 20 November 2004, 10:07 PM
ScoobyDoo555
Scooby Regular

Don't knock it!!

I was actually VERY lucky with both of mine - they've slept through since day 1

My eldest is now 4 and the youngest is 18 months - both have their own rooms, lights off and in bed by 7pm

They're both knackered by the time the go too

HTH - if you and your missus aren't sure, don't wait for the midwife, if you've got concerns, go to the hospital. Be happy in your OWN minds, not what anybody else says

Having said that, you can't be TOO concerned about it - you've asked ScoobyNet before calling for the Doctor. (just to ease any concerns)

Dan
Old 20 November 2004, 10:53 PM
Regacy
Scooby Regular

My youngest is six months.
Believe me, you'd sleep 20 hours a day if you were doing that much growing!
It tends to come in spurts, some weeks lots of food and sleep others lots of playing and developing in other ways.
They're incredibly resilient and will usually leave you in no doubt if there's something wrong.
Chill out and enjoy it. (that's definitely tough advice for a first, but you'll follow it if you have a second!)
R
Old 20 November 2004, 10:55 PM
Chrisgr31
Scooby Regular

New borns will sleep for ours, make the most of it, soon changes especially if they get colic!

Ours who is nearly 6 weeks old used to sleep for hours, now she can happily be awake for large parts of the day, which isn;t so good!
Old 20 November 2004, 11:06 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

And there's me thinking it was a another, ahem, "down below" thread

Enjoy the peace while you have it B2Z
Old 20 November 2004, 11:10 PM
Mick
Scooby Senior

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Thumbs up

wife says the sleeping time is within normal limits... (consultant paediatrician )

She is also extremely jealous our youngest still doesn't sleep through the night and he's 3 in Dec!!!

mick
Old 20 November 2004, 11:34 PM
Echo
Scooby Regular

Sounds normal to me, but when you're new to it it's good to ask

Congrats BTW!
Old 20 November 2004, 11:41 PM
Chrisgr31
Scooby Regular

How old is he by the way? Atibitoics also has an effect on the contents of their nappys. Know that as my wife was on them shortly after the birth too. Breast feeding is definitely best as I get to stay in bed when the baby needs feeding in the middle of the night!

Not sure how long that will last either though! Its amazing how quickly life changes. Now can;t just pop out, takes ages to sort nappy bag etc, and then when thats done she needs feeding again!

Oh and shopping when you need to use the lifts everywhere! I am also a sudden convert to parent and child spaces!
Old 20 November 2004, 11:57 PM
yoza
BANNED

Our boy is 6 weeks old.

He sleeps 18-20 hrs, but mainly during the day, not much can wake him other than his bottle time.

He wakes every 3 hours for his feed, 160 to 180mls C&G No2.

He likes sleeping in the car, pram, baby carrier, basically anywhere during the day.

But of a night he perks up and wants to be more awake, which is not good.

He is still in our room, in a crib.

Any worries you have, simply ask your Midwife or Doctor, dont hold back, just ask.
Old 21 November 2004, 12:04 AM
mart360
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by yoza
Our boy is 6 weeks old.

He sleeps 18-20 hrs, but mainly during the day, not much can wake him other than his bottle time.

He wakes every 3 hours for his feed, 160 to 180mls C&G No2.

He likes sleeping in the car, pram, baby carrier, basically anywhere during the day.

But of a night he perks up and wants to be more awake, which is not good.

He is still in our room, in a crib.

Any worries you have, simply ask your Midwife or Doctor, dont hold back, just ask.

Tip from parent in the know!!

get them into there own room asap!!!

they and you will sleep better!!!

trust me , i,m a dad!!!
Old 21 November 2004, 09:07 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

All part of growing up B2Z as I remember. Think yourself lucky, you'll probably pay for it later anyway.

Les
Old 22 November 2004, 04:00 PM
Fat Boy
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up

Dad of two here - one little girl 17 months old , one little boy 19 days old.

They all sleep a huge amount in the first week circa 18 - 20 hours and then gradually come out of it, spending more time alert - in active and passive alertness. For the first couple/ three weeks, its feed on demand, but you can start trying to introduce a routine after that. Babies/ small children seem to really benefit from routines.

We followed a book by a woman called Geena Ford (The contented Baby or something like that, which seems very ordered and strict but it worked for us) for our first child and while nothing seemd to work initially we stuck at it and after about 4 weeks of trying it suddenly clicked.

Our 17 month old now sleeps from 7pm to 7 am virtually every night, without waking - including sleeping through all the excitment of a home birth for her brother! - , and the baby is now doing a 7pm feed, a 10 :30pm feed (which I do with milk that my other half expressed earlier in the day, which also means that she can go to bed at 8pm or whatever if she wants), and he then wakes at about 5am for another one, then up at around 7am for another one.

We are stretching the 5am already to merge it with the 7 am feed and the game is then to get him to drop the 10ish one in due course. The benefit of this way is that this my wife gets to sleep from say 8pm to 5am - I sneak the baby into a moses basket in our bedroom and I can then go to bed after the 10:30 feed until the 5am jobby.

I also agree with the separate room thing - our little girl was in on her own from 6 weeks as the amount of grumbling, grunting etc that they do in their sleep is unbelievable.
Old 22 November 2004, 04:11 PM
Old_Fart
Scooby Regular

Congrats Fat Boy!
Our 3rd is now 6 months old. Never been a sound sleeper though he only wakes once a night now thank goodness. Just been through a bout of Bronchitis which was very hard on Nicki because it meant the wee lad didn't put more than 1.5 hours sleep together at a time for 2 and a bit weeks
Every one is different though...our first 2 went solidly through the night from 6 weeks...if only they were all that easy
For some reason 'er indoors doesn't like the sprog moving to its own room untill 6 months...must be something she read in the Mirror ..shesh...at least that parts over now.
Oh yeah, 20 hours a day sleeping...long may it continue...sounds a contented child
Rgds
Chuckster
Old 22 November 2004, 04:22 PM
Muffleman
Scooby Regular

Our Jake is now 8 weeks old, and it's starting to improve but nights have been pretty awful ! Problem we've had is that he has had mucas (sp) left over from being 'inside'. There's nothing actually on his chest, and both the doctor and health visitor have said don't worry. But it makes him restless, and we're usually up every 2 hours

But like i said, it's subsiding and we're getting 4hours or so now.

We also took the advice of a few here on old s'net and took him to see a cranial osteopath. This helped a little too.

Thing is, you can have a torrid night and then you get up, pick him up and he gives you this big smile - all is quickly forgotten

Damn, I wanna go home now !!!

All the best mate

Matt
Old 22 November 2004, 04:23 PM
scoobypreza
Scooby Regular

Congratulations Fat Boy!!
Lovely to hear that your gorgeous little girl has a baby brother now!
17months!!!!Where does the time go? Our little boy is six months already.

Hope all is well
Cath
Old 22 November 2004, 04:27 PM
Fat Boy
Scooby Regular

Smile

Cheers Mr C and sorry to hear about the bronchitis/ lack of sleep! You'll just have to sleep in the porker...

You're right to mention bugs n stuff as illnesses really do seem to throw them and you completely for a couple of weeks usually - we've already had one bout with the 17month old going down with a gastro bug when the baby was just 4 days old, so the 17 month old and me were quarantined downstairs like lepers, while Kate stayed upstairs as much as possible and frantically washed everything in the house about 5 times each day. Worked perfectly in that the Kate and the baby were OK although once my little girl was OK I went down with it - not much sleep or routine that week!! It seems to take us 2-3 days to get back on track after each one.

FB

PS B2Z don't forget to order in a bulk supply of Calpol - life saver as it knocks them out pretty effectively at times !!
Old 22 November 2004, 04:29 PM
Fat Boy
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Cheers Cath - and I was pleased to see that all went well with little Adam in the end after your tough time too - i don't post much, but I do lurk quite a bit

Quick Reply: A question for those who have had a child recently...