Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Ebay account violated

Search this Thread

Old 19 November 2004, 11:59 PM
Paulo P
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Angry Ebay account violated

I listed an item on ebay tonight and just went to check how it's getting on and found 5 items in America that have been listed tonight but not by me Luckily they hadn't changed my password so I changed it and ended their listings.

I contacted ebay about this because I guess I'll get charged for the fraudulent listings and to see what I can do now.

Anyone else ever gone through this?

p.s I was done by a spoof email I think when they caught me off guard yesterday After I'd done it I realised that it may be fake and it obviously was It was so easily done because I was getting emails the other week asking for me to confirm my details etc from "ebay" but I ignored them as you do because it was obviously someone after my account.

Last edited by Paulo P; 20 November 2004 at 12:06 AM.
Old 20 November 2004, 12:01 AM
SiDHEaD
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Lesson learnt, check the email for contact is still yours!

Whenever these "update your details" emails come through, log into the site by your usual method don't use their links

Everyone else be on your guard!

Andy
Old 20 November 2004, 12:08 AM
Paulo P
Scooby Regular

Email for contact is still mine and so was the password which is odd I can't see the point in doing it but it was lucky that I was on the case and deleted them after only half an hour.
Old 20 November 2004, 12:29 AM
Paulo P
Scooby Regular

I've now been locked out because they've changed my password and email address totally fooked off!
Old 20 November 2004, 12:31 AM
SiDHEaD
Scooby Regular

Suppose they managed to do the "forgotten password" thing somehow? Although that should come to your email - hence my question. Bit odd. Have you already contacted ebay, they should be able to sort it out ok.
Old 20 November 2004, 12:32 AM
ajm
Scooby Regular

Natwest suspended their internet banking service on Weds due to a similar email purporting to be from them.

Never, ever respond to emails asking to verify details etc!!!
Old 20 November 2004, 12:36 AM
Paulo P
Scooby Regular

I contacted them earlier but can't contact them again now due to my password being changed.

Can they normally sort this out then? I had a good account going there

Normally i bin emails like that but they caught me off guard totally It was so out of character for me and I'm annoyed at myself so much now.
Old 20 November 2004, 09:37 AM
S.B.
Scooby Regular

Ebay toolbar warns of dodgy ebay email links as well
Old 20 November 2004, 10:21 AM
Paulo P
Scooby Regular

bit late now
Old 20 November 2004, 10:43 AM
Hammy Hamster
Scooby Regular

What I can't understand is, how they managed to change your password at 00:25'ish, after you'd changed it at 23:59'ish.
Old 20 November 2004, 10:47 AM
Paulo P
Scooby Regular

That's what I can't understand too I changed it to something really obscure so that no-one could guess it but they still changed it. I managed to find an old item that I sold a couple of weeks ago and viewed that and my account must have been disabled now because I'm no longer a registered user I only reported it at about midnight last night I just hope I can get it back now
Old 20 November 2004, 10:55 AM
Paulo P
Scooby Regular

this was my account and the car that I sold the other week.
Old 20 November 2004, 11:06 AM
molko
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by paulpalmer
I listed an item on ebay tonight and just went to check how it's getting on and found 5 items in America that have been listed tonight but not by me Luckily they hadn't changed my password so I changed it and ended their listings.

I contacted ebay about this because I guess I'll get charged for the fraudulent listings and to see what I can do now.

Anyone else ever gone through this?

p.s I was done by a spoof email I think when they caught me off guard yesterday After I'd done it I realised that it may be fake and it obviously was It was so easily done because I was getting emails the other week asking for me to confirm my details etc from "ebay" but I ignored them as you do because it was obviously someone after my account.

I get these emails about once everday, they look really convincing, someone has a put a lot of effort in to make them look believable...its not surprising that people get caught....

All you can do is NEVER trust html links from emails that indaite that account details etc.. need to be changed..
Old 20 November 2004, 11:11 AM
S.B.
Scooby Regular

I had one the other day telling me my account had been violated and i needed to follow the link to log in and confirm my details.They look very convincing.
Old 20 November 2004, 11:12 AM
Paulo P
Scooby Regular

I've had a few but not that often, I ingnored all of the previous ones but got really caught out by this new one I was totally off guard and trying to do a few things and only realised what I'd done after I'd done it I should have changed my password there and then but didn't think anything would come of it.

BTW the email I got caught by was one telling you to register as a "power seller" because you have 100% feedback and over so much feedback Beware because this was very easy and I'd done it before I realised what I'd done, all it asked me to do was login like normal then said it'd done it
Old 20 November 2004, 11:15 AM
Paulo P
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by S.B.
I had one the other day telling me my account had been violated and i needed to follow the link to log in and confirm my details.They look very convincing.
That's the ones I had and kept ignoring because I keep a tight check on my account and what I'm bidding on and selling so that I know if it's been accessed by someone else. This was a new one
Old 20 November 2004, 11:25 AM
Hammy Hamster
Scooby Regular

All too easily done, when they catch you at the right time.

I try and get in the habit of reading my email offline to prevent linking from emails and the like, but I occasionally slip up and that's the time I'm most likely to need it.
Old 20 November 2004, 12:49 PM
S.B.
Scooby Regular

Try this test
Old 20 November 2004, 12:59 PM
gsm1
Scooby Regular

Mate, you're not having too much luck especially since your mobile phone saga.

I get those fake emails almost every day. I used to fill them out telling the fraudsters what I thought of them and their unnatural relations with their Mothers but can't even be bothered to do that now.
Old 20 November 2004, 04:43 PM
Paulo P
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by gsm1

I get those fake emails almost every day. I used to fill them out telling the fraudsters what I thought of them and their unnatural relations with their Mothers but can't even be bothered to do that now.
I've been having a bad week in general and it hasn't got any better That phone must be jinxed
Old 20 November 2004, 04:52 PM
Nick
Scooby Senior

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

All you're doing there is confirming that your email address is valid - therefore making it worth 10 times as much money & suitable for more spamming.

NEVER reply to spam & always use an email system that doesn't download remote images (Yahoo, Outlook 2003 etc).
Old 20 November 2004, 04:54 PM
Nick
Scooby Senior

To the OP

About your hijacked Ebay account. Check very carefully your linked Paypal account, change the password & cancel any linked credit cards, also cancel any credit cards linked to the Ebay account.

Last edited by Nick; 20 November 2004 at 04:55 PM. Reason: Fix typo
Old 20 November 2004, 05:05 PM
AndyC_772
Scooby Regular

A 'safe' 9/10 for me - I accused one legitimate email of being phish because it was asking for login details with a link that went to a strange looking domain.
Old 20 November 2004, 05:10 PM
Paulo P
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Nick
To the OP

About your hijacked Ebay account. Check very carefully your linked Paypal account, change the password & cancel any linked credit cards, also cancel any credit cards linked to the Ebay account.
I got up again at 2 o'clock this morning to check my paypal account and there had been no activity and the card that was registered on there had actually been replaced the other week.

On another note they changed my email address to carlton3000gs@yahoo.es is that spain???
Old 20 November 2004, 05:19 PM
BexTait
Scooby Regular

Location: Drink, drink, wherever you may be, we are the drunk and disorderly (owner of 5 fairy tokens)

Got 8/10. Had 2 down as fake when they were legit.
I hate the phishing e-mails. I got one the other day from paypal, and was unsure as to wether it was true or not, so just went thru the main site log in.

Yes, .es is a spanish ending IIRC
Old 20 November 2004, 05:48 PM
gsm1
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Nick
All you're doing there is confirming that your email address is valid - therefore making it worth 10 times as much money & suitable for more spamming.

NEVER reply to spam & always use an email system that doesn't download remote images (Yahoo, Outlook 2003 etc).
You don't reply to the email anyway - it simply provides a website link. Unless they've gone to the bother of providing a different link for each person they email, which I very much doubt, there's no way they will know squat from me responding.
Old 20 November 2004, 06:23 PM
AndyC_772
Scooby Regular

Unless they've gone to the bother of providing a different link for each person they email, which I very much doubt, there's no way they will know squat from me responding.
On the contrary, that's exactly what they do. All they need is to include a link to something like: image.jpg?valid_spam_address=you @ yourdomain.com - their server sends you image.jpg and logs the fact that it was the mail sent to your address that resulted in the hit.
Old 20 November 2004, 06:43 PM
gsm1
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by AndyC_772
On the contrary, that's exactly what they do. All they need is to include a link to something like: image.jpg?valid_spam_address=you @ yourdomain.com - their server sends you image.jpg and logs the fact that it was the mail sent to your address that resulted in the hit.
Yeah, but it isn't an image, just a typed link. My outlook doesn't d/load images without asking anyway.
Old 20 November 2004, 07:56 PM
Nick
Scooby Senior

You don't reply to the email anyway - it simply provides a website link. Unless they've gone to the bother of providing a different link for each person they email, which I very much doubt, there's no way they will know squat from me responding.
The website link will usually have a code which will track to your account.
Old 20 November 2004, 08:37 PM
Jerome
Scooby Regular

An interesting test. I did it and thought that there was something dodgy with all of the examples, so I only got 50% correct. At least I was erring on the side of caution.

Quick Reply: Ebay account violated