Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Anyone into boating??

Search this Thread

Old 16 November 2004, 08:26 PM
Langy
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Anyone into boating??

If so, what have you got and where do you use it?
Old 16 November 2004, 08:36 PM
Buzzer
Scooby Regular

What type of boating?

I had a 15' Ski boat that we used to take to Windermere....... Great Fun when you mastered the ski's
Old 16 November 2004, 08:39 PM
Langy
Scooby Regular

Any type really, just looking to get an idea who does what on SN

Sailing?
Cruising?
Watersports?

Must admit, water skiing is a bit of an art lol
Old 16 November 2004, 08:50 PM
Buzzer
Scooby Regular

No it isn't coz i could do it.

Seriously you can have the basics mastered in a day, getting out of the water is the hardest bit. When your absolutley knackered, jump in the boat and have a nice cup of tea and a biscuit, then back for some more "arm wrenching out of the shoulder socket" action

I cant comment on other forms although i must admit i've always fancied a nice small yacht
Old 16 November 2004, 10:28 PM
Tentenths
Scooby Regular

Sailing/cruising in our Finesse 24 - a traditional clinker built, shoal draft, gaff cutter kept on the East Coast.
Old 16 November 2004, 10:29 PM
Buckrogers
Scooby Regular

Is "boating" the new "*******"?
Old 16 November 2004, 10:30 PM
Langy
Scooby Regular

Yup, my dad's into the full yachting thing....keeps it at largs yacht haven. Bit too much work for my liking. I've got a motor cruiser at loch lomond, much more my thing...just gutted at the moment at current weather situation!

Trending Topics

Old 16 November 2004, 10:32 PM
Langy
Scooby Regular

Sorry Buck, i don't think it is...having said that, some 'interesting' sights have been seen on the islands in the summer lol
Old 16 November 2004, 10:39 PM
stevem2k
Scooby Regular

I've got a baitboat for my carping if that counts
Old 16 November 2004, 10:40 PM
Buzzer
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Buckrogers
Is "boating" the new "*******"?

FPMSL

Years ago, me and a few mates rented a barge........................ ahh no, second thoughts, not goin there
Old 16 November 2004, 10:40 PM
Langy
Scooby Regular

Tentenths, nice sailing boat there..is it 4 berth? Do you stay in it much or is it just for days out?

My dads got an Elan 31, beautiful boat and he loves it but i just can't get to grips with the full sailing/sea thing lol
Old 16 November 2004, 11:06 PM
Tentenths
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Langy
Tentenths, nice sailing boat there..is it 4 berth? Do you stay in it much or is it just for days out?
Thank you. Yes, she's 4 berth.

When we first bought her we used to spend many weekends pottering round the East Coast. At the time we had a 3 bed Barrett "box" and a postage stamp garden.

Then, for reasons I can no longer fully explain/understand, we decided to buy a rather dilapidated 5 bed Victorian villa, complete with 1/2 acre of garden.

Unfortunately, ongoing house/garden restoration means that the boat has not received the attention/use she deserves - last season she was used just twice!

As I expect you know, wooden boats are a huge committment in terms of maintenance and care. So, sadly, I've decided to sell her. But the chap who's buying her has very kindly offered to let me use her from time to time.

In the meantime I've, rather stupidly, just bought a half share in a small fishing cruiser (glassfibre).
Old 16 November 2004, 11:09 PM
chris's scooby
Scooby Regular

If so, what have you got and where do you use it?
In the water, where else would you use a boat?
Old 16 November 2004, 11:13 PM
Langy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Tentenths
But the chap who's buying her has very kindly offered to let me use her from time to time.
Sounds like a good deal to me!!

Chris's scooby, cheers for that input....i'll keep that in mind for next summer!
In case you hadn't noticed there is more than one location with water on this planet
Old 16 November 2004, 11:55 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

I've got a Shetland which I use for offshore fishing in Devon.

Les
Old 17 November 2004, 12:28 AM
Langy
Scooby Regular

Just to prove to Chris i know where boats go and why i love loch lomond i've managed to dig out some pics of mine on loch lomond summer past

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/09...y/100_0049.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/09...y/100_0018.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/09...y/100_0020.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/09...y/100_0053.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/09...y/100_0069.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/09...y/000_0142.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/09...y/000_0152.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/09...y/100_0086.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/09...y/100_0081.jpg

Anyone else got any boating pics?
Old 17 November 2004, 12:54 AM
wiltshire_boy
Scooby Regular

We've got a little 23ft steel narrowboat on the Kennet and Avon canal which we're about to use properly for the first time this weekend.

Had loads of hassle with the outboard and completely changed the wiring and charging system so far and she could do with a new coat or two top and bottom.

I went over to the Isle of Wight from Poole on a friends yacht (Benetau 28 i think) in the summer. Lovely boat but never again, force 5 with nasty swells all the way over - the ferry looked very tempting on the way back.

Will post pics at some point if anyone is interested.

Roy.
Old 17 November 2004, 09:00 AM
anc-sti
Scooby Regular

Used to race Mirrors then GP14's, up here at Bass Sailing club, great fun. Got into mountain bikes 15years ago(bit more exciting) and that takes all my time now. Me father still has a Flying Fifteen, which I take out very occasionally.
Old 17 November 2004, 09:02 AM
Scoobychick
Scooby Regular

I'm a Narrowboat Broker, I run my own brokerage company My parents have run the family narrowboat and boatyard business for over 35 years and I've been around narrowboats virtually all my life. Ma & Pa also have this 60ft narrowboat on the Grand Union in the midlands which we often use:

Roy, is that a Springer Water Bug you own?

Sal

Last edited by Scoobychick; 17 November 2004 at 09:08 AM.
Old 17 November 2004, 09:15 AM
chris's scooby
Scooby Regular

Sounds like a good deal to me!!

Chris's scooby, cheers for that input....i'll keep that in mind for next summer!
In case you hadn't noticed there is more than one location with water on this planet
Just as well as my boats tend to hit my ducks. I was thinking about buying a bigger bath.
Old 17 November 2004, 09:37 AM
Twohats
Scooby Regular

do weed cutting boats count? cos i drive a weed cutting boat for seven mths a year as my job keeping the rivers clear of weed for you boating folk
Old 17 November 2004, 10:43 AM
wiltshire_boy
Scooby Regular

Hi Sal,

I had no idea you were so into narrow boats, shouldn't have been surprised on Scoobynet i suppose

Jessie was custom built by the guy at Lower Foxhangers on the Kennet and Avon, can't remember his name atm which is a bit rubbish as he lives aboard on the otherside of the pontoon to our mooring.

will dig out some piccys.

Roy.
Old 17 November 2004, 10:43 AM
Brendan Hughes
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

http://bbs.scoobynet.co.uk/showthread.php?t=334339
Old 17 November 2004, 10:51 AM
Jap2Scrap
Scooby Regular

Any type really, just looking to get an idea who does what on SN

Sailing?
Cruising?
Watersports?

Must admit, water skiing is a bit of an art lol
Watersports - Snigger

Try 'googling' that!
Old 17 November 2004, 11:21 AM
Scoobychick
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by wiltshire_boy
Hi Sal,

I had no idea you were so into narrow boats, shouldn't have been surprised on Scoobynet i suppose

Jessie was custom built by the guy at Lower Foxhangers on the Kennet and Avon, can't remember his name atm which is a bit rubbish as he lives aboard on the otherside of the pontoon to our mooring.

will dig out some piccys.

Roy.
Ah ok, I know Foxhangers, we had a temporary mooring there a few years ago whilst the boat was on the K&A Caen Hill flight - not for the fainthearted but lovely I live quite near the Bingley Five Rise locks on the Leeds and Liverpool. Have you been into canals long? Done much of the system?
Old 17 November 2004, 12:05 PM
wiltshire_boy
Scooby Regular

Few old pictures here:- http://roy-parker.fotopic.net/c79716.html.

We only bought Jessie at the end of last year after spending 3 years watching everyone else having fun coming through the lock outside our house.

So far our cruising comprises of:

1) Coming up the Caen Hill flight (outboard mountings snapped halfway up and relied on manpower to pull her up the remaining dozen locks)

2) Going down the Caen Hill flight (ran out of fuel 3/4 way down)

3) A few test runs

Hopefully we should make it to Bath this weekend and plan to stop off at Avoncliff for a day or two. It's been a bit frustrating not getting out on her much and we'd love to do some proper cruising but we've also just moved house (with mooring, wahey!) so looks like it might be just the odd weekend at the moment. At least the new mooring is above the Caen Hill flight so no locks for 40 odd miles!

Have you done much?
Old 17 November 2004, 12:35 PM
ajm
Scooby Regular

My old man has always been well into his boats so I've been in and out of them all my life. The family fleet, in ascending size, is currently a zodiac inflatable dinghy, 16ft Leader sailing dinghy, Avon rigid inflatable (tender), Fletcher speed boat and a Fleming 55!

Here is a (rather over exposed) pic of the Fleming "Fancy Free" in Aarhus, Denmark earlier this year...

So far we have done the Channel Isles, Scilly Isles, the Mediterranean and the Balearics twice, Southern Island and the Baltic. We had plans for doing the Atlantic too but commitments have got in the way so far unfortunately.
Old 17 November 2004, 01:11 PM
Scoobychick
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by wiltshire_boy
Have you done much?
A house with a mooring eh? Cool Good luck on your future cruises, if you make it up as far as the Leeds Liverpool come and say hello, or if you're in the Braunston area give me a shout or if you ever come up the River Lea I'm often there too

I first stepped foot an a narrowboat as a six year old, we used to go off boating nearly every weekend and over the years travelled all over the country. These days I don't get to do anywhere near as much as I'd like but my parents still manage to take the boat all over the country, they do a different area each year. I think they're coming up to the Leeds Liverpool next year which means I should be able to use the boat a lot My last trip was a two day run up the Leicester Branch of the GU and up the Welford Arm to Welford a couple of months ago although I'll be spending a few days on the boat next week but not going anywhere, it's just a handy base for business in the midlands

I think it's in the blood, once I get hold of the tiller I find it hard to stop, there's something really relaxing about cruising along at 4mph tapping your foot to the sound of the two cylinder Kelvin K2 monster that lives in the engine room

8094cc pushing 44hp @ 750rpm = masses of torque and a beautiful sound

I love vintage diesels
Old 17 November 2004, 01:39 PM
Langy
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by ajm
The family fleet, in ascending size, is currently a zodiac inflatable dinghy, 16ft Leader sailing dinghy, Avon rigid inflatable (tender), Fletcher speed boat and a Fleming 55!
Fleming 55! Nice boat ajm! Quite rare as well, you don't see that many about, they only make two sizes - 55 and 75 iirc

Mine is just a 26 foot but is big enough to sleep 6 comfortably, do 45mph and as i only started boating 2 seasons ago is easy enough for me to control....petrol consumption is a bit of an issue right enough using 18 gallons per hour flat out (and you all thought a scooby was bad lol)
Old 17 November 2004, 02:08 PM
wiltshire_boy
Scooby Regular

Beautiful boat Sal, i'd love something a bit bigger with a diesel inboard. I certainly will get in touch if we are ever up your way(s).

Yes, very nice ajm. I'd also love something like that too!

Big thumbs up to Twohats for keeping it all clear One of our new neighbours is the Chairman of the Kennet and Avon trust and has already tried to rope us in for a little "volunteer" work.

Roy.

Quick Reply: Anyone into boating??