Question for JohnD...

Search this Thread

Old 13 November 2004, 03:36 PM
matty01
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Question Question for JohnD...

Question for JohnD... [or anyone else that works in this field]
Hi, just read your comments in the thread about cars bieng run over and quite agree .What role do you think media and tv, and radio in particular(gangsta rap etc) are playing in the moral quality of the youth of today,and secondly, do you think that morality and respect are things that are learnt and some people just don't get taught it at home, (in many cases bieng taught the opposite values) is this lack of bieng taught proper morality at the root of many of the problems with the youth of today ?

( I started a new thread so as not to hijack t'other one )

Last edited by matty01; 13 November 2004 at 03:54 PM. Reason: Addition.
Old 14 November 2004, 02:34 PM
matty01
Scooby Regular

bttt for Sunday
Old 14 November 2004, 07:01 PM
JohnD
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi Matty
There are various reasons why some kids are the way they are. Certainly in many cases their attitudes are learnt by example. Broken homes feature in a significant number of cases although I must stress that this is in no way a gauranteed reason for a youngster to go wayward, it does however make it difficult for the single parent to provide all the necessary support, guidance and example needed when raising kids in a tough area where there is a lot of adverse peer pressure. I have met some very supportive parents and some who, quite frankly, should have been sterilised! and some who are at there wits end as what to do with their offspring.
The problem with kids disaffected with school is growing. I won't go into the reasons and theory of it all here, but it has become a significant part of the local authority budget to accommodate these kids in pupil referal units and colleges of FE (like mine) until the end of their school career (yr 11) Government pressure on schools to show success rates has a lot to answer for. In the area where I work, schools are queing - up to provide us with pupils!
You may be wondering why I do this for a living (so am I!) I am not on some kind of mission with these kids. I used to teach mechanical and production engineering, sending students to University eventually, but dept. closure meant redundancy! and this job was immediatly available! A case of "from the sublime to the ridiculus"
It's not all doom and gloom, there are success stories, trouble is, we don't always hear of those!
JohnD
Old 14 November 2004, 10:05 PM
matty01
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the reply John,
" I won't go into the reasons and theory of it all here"

Can you sum it up in a couple of sentances?