Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Planning on using the M25 today?

Search this Thread

Old 13 November 2004, 02:01 PM
Craig W
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Planning on using the M25 today?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/4008923.stm
Old 13 November 2004, 02:04 PM
16vmarc
Scooby Regular

How on earth did the driver manage to clip the other wagon though???
Old 13 November 2004, 02:08 PM
Brun
Scooby Senior

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Lack of sleep????????????
Old 13 November 2004, 02:09 PM
16vmarc
Scooby Regular

Only reason i can think of!!!
Old 13 November 2004, 02:13 PM
Sith
Scooby Regular

Have you watched how close lorries follow each other on the motorways though. Specially when pulling in or overtaking.
Old 13 November 2004, 02:16 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

Ever seen a lorry have a full blow out on a front tyre?
Old 13 November 2004, 02:50 PM
Dracoro
Scooby Regular

Have you watched how close lorries follow each other on the motorways though. Specially when pulling in or overtaking.
They do this to minimise the amount of time that they are in the overtaking lane. Be grateful for it, they could pull out early and pull in late and they'd block so much traffic.
Old 13 November 2004, 03:22 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts
Thumbs down

Originally Posted by 16vmarc
How on earth did the driver manage to clip the other wagon though???
Tailgating, to keep fuel consumption low, pulls out, underestimates how close, clips rear. Dead easy. "dead" being the operative word

Had one do it to a mate's caravan, wrote the 'van off, lucky not to kill the driver of the car towing the 'van.

Alcazar
Old 13 November 2004, 04:07 PM
scoob_babe
Scooby Regular

Location: Nobody knows how to tie the simple knots that I know

Missed the boat a bit - it happened over 12 hours before you posted that and, according to traffic reports, everything was moving as smoothly as the M25 ever does, apart from the closed section.
Gotta go down that way in a bit but right now there are no jams reported, only the closed area.
Old 13 November 2004, 04:08 PM
DJ140
Scooby Regular

Angry

Originally Posted by Dracoro
They do this to minimise the amount of time that they are in the overtaking lane. Be grateful for it, they could pull out early and pull in late and they'd block so much traffic.

Absolute rubbish. They do it because most are crap drivers and cause crashes daily due to their dangerous driving.

Trucks should be fitted with sensors to apply the brakes and stop them driving so close.

With an average stopping distance of several hundred metres at 56mph, they should be leaving a large gap between them and the vehicle in front.
Old 13 November 2004, 04:12 PM
scoob_babe
Scooby Regular

Location: Nobody knows how to tie the simple knots that I know

I wish they would do that - driving up the M1 for one junction last week and the lorries were nose to tail - made it almost impossible to get on the motorway and get off again!!!
Old 13 November 2004, 04:55 PM
S.B.
Scooby Regular

Wink

Originally Posted by DJ140
Absolute rubbish. They do it because most are crap drivers and cause crashes daily due to their dangerous driving.

Trucks should be fitted with sensors to apply the brakes and stop them driving so close.

With an average stopping distance of several hundred metres at 56mph, they should be leaving a large gap between them and the vehicle in front.
When you do leave a large gap what happens?

Some wanker in a car cuts you up nearly taking their rear bumper off then panics because there is a lorry behind them and slows down!!! Then you go to overtake them and they speed up and all the scoobynet EXPERTS complain about lorries blocking the overtaking lane.
Old 13 November 2004, 05:06 PM
davegtt
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by S.B.
When you do leave a large gap what happens?

Some wanker in a car cuts you up nearly taking their rear bumper off then panics because there is a lorry behind them and slows down!!! Then you go to overtake them and they speed up and all the scoobynet EXPERTS complain about lorries blocking the overtaking lane.
Spot on. It almost impossible to leave a safe gap on the motorway nowadays, theres always some prat who thinks its a safe gap to nip in.
Old 13 November 2004, 05:36 PM
Jerome
Scooby Regular

Lorry drivers are betters drivers than people who have never driven a lorry. I presume you don't hold a lorry licence. When I first drove a lorry, I was appalled at the driving of many cars drivers. Some will perform almost suicidal moves around lorries. The fact that so few accidents involve lorries is testament to their skill.
Old 13 November 2004, 06:57 PM
Chip
Scooby Regular

WTF are you on about. Youve obviously never driven a lorry from your reply. If you had driven a truck you'd know just how bad the majority of car, van driver behave whilst on the roads. We HGV drivers have also taken a proper driving course unlike car drivers who are just taught to pass a simple driving test.

As for stopping distances. Where did you get several 100 m to stop at 56mph as its just total bollox.

Chip

Professional driver licenced to drive:

HGV 1
CAR
Motor Bike
Fork Truck
All Heavy Plant
Helicopter
Old 13 November 2004, 09:07 PM
Chris L
Scooby Regular

I was at Bluewater today and I heard about this crash at about 7:00 AM this morning. Not a problem - quick scoot round the back roads and through the wonders of sat nav, made it onto the M25 at J3 (I was staying at my parents place, near Croydon - not travelling from Herts). Coming back at about 2:00 PM, every matrix sign was flashing up that the road was still closed and yet more than half the cars on the M25 kept on going past J4 (the sane people turned off at J4 and took the A21) and joined the queue.

WTF? Are people sheep - do they realise that J5 follows J4 and there is a 10 mile queue? I could understand if the crash had just happened, but when it occured 15 hours before and it was on every radio station and every warning sign it defies belief. Do people like sitting in traffic jams?
Old 14 November 2004, 01:40 AM
SiDHEaD
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Chris L

WTF? Are people sheep - do they realise that J5 follows J4 and there is a 10 mile queue? I could understand if the crash had just happened, but when it occured 15 hours before and it was on every radio station and every warning sign it defies belief. Do people like sitting in traffic jams?
If they all got off at J4 you'd be in a queue. Best be greatful they were dumbasses!
Old 14 November 2004, 10:27 AM
Shropshire-Guy
Scooby Regular

Feel sorry for the family. Its either a Tankfreight Driver, Excel logistics or one of ours , Wincanton . Will see today when i get into work. Being a Class 1 driver of 23 years myself i have to agree with some of the negative comments on here. Im feckin amazed at some of the stunts u see. Thinking about M6 through Spagetti junction to J5. Ok its 40 mph limit, feckin amazes me that some still pass me at 56 mph in the roadworks (and its Feckin Narrow). .

Having said that, like guys have put on here, u leave at gap and someone cuts in. The favorite is the rep in his BMW whos just been made up from Mondeo man and think hes the doggs dangly bits whos still in lane 3 and has passed the 100 metre marker for slip road, then decides he wants to get off and cuts everybody up (otional extra indicators not fitted) to achieve his goal..

There are still cowboy Haulage companys out there im afraid but this guy wouldn,t be working for one of them.But i can take you to many local companies, infact one springs to mind and the drivers are on

£5.75 an hr WTF . I certanly wouldn,t even set the Alarm for that. You can get £7 hr working in a warehouse with less hassle. After all at £5.75 an hr it wouldn,t even keep me in Optimax

Just my two pennies worth.

SG

Last edited by Shropshire-Guy; 14 November 2004 at 10:42 AM.
Old 14 November 2004, 10:35 AM
Chip
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Shropshire-Guy
You can get £7 hr stacking shelves in Tesco
Think you'll find thats more like £5 hr unless theyve had a big rise recently.

Chip.
Old 14 November 2004, 10:43 AM
Shropshire-Guy
Scooby Regular

there u go chip
Old 14 November 2004, 11:02 AM
coolangatta
Scooby Regular

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

Having driven many thousands of miles on UK motorways my experience is this:

Of course there are many idiots driving cars but...
Some truck drivers think it is their right to pull out into lane 2 no matter what's going on outside of them.
Many times I've had to brake hard or move into 3 just to accomodate a wagon who decides it's his lane to move into.
Downright dangerous, they may be big but their not too clever.
Old 14 November 2004, 03:45 PM
S.B.
Scooby Regular

Talking

Originally Posted by coolangatta
Having driven many thousands of miles on UK motorways my experience is this:

Of course there are many idiots driving cars but...
Some truck drivers think it is their right to pull out into lane 2 no matter what's going on outside of them.
Many times I've had to brake hard or move into 3 just to accomodate a wagon who decides it's his lane to move into.
Downright dangerous, they may be big but their not too clever.
Which would show your lack of driving skills ****
If you was looking ahead of you, you would see that the lorry was catching up with the vehicle in front of it and move into the 3rd lane so the lorry could move out to overtake without having to lose speed, which takes a lot longer to gain than in a car
Old 14 November 2004, 03:55 PM
NotoriousREV
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by S.B.
Which would show your lack of driving skills ****
If you was looking ahead of you, you would see that the lorry was catching up with the vehicle in front of it and move into the 3rd lane so the lorry could move out to overtake without having to lose speed, which takes a lot longer to gain than in a car
S.B., while that's entirely the polite thing to do and the mark of a good driver, the highway code tells you that your manouvre shouldn't cause another vehicle to change speed or direction.
Old 14 November 2004, 04:00 PM
S.B.
Scooby Regular

Wink

Originally Posted by NotoriousREV
S.B., while that's entirely the polite thing to do and the mark of a good driver, the highway code tells you that your manouvre shouldn't cause another vehicle to change speed or direction.
Nobody has caused anyone to change speed or direction. I am talking about reading the road ahead I am not saying it is right to just pull out in front of someone.