Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Travel question from a total novice.....

Search this Thread

Old 10 November 2004, 08:09 PM
RON
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Travel question from a total novice.....

Guy's, I'm considering going to the states early next year, to do a sort of fly drive deal, what is it that you need to even get into the states now, and has anyone got any hints tips or ideas.

Cheers.

ron.
Old 10 November 2004, 10:50 PM
RON
Scooby Regular

No-one been to the states recently then.......
Old 10 November 2004, 11:07 PM
jjones
Scooby Regular

the people at the car hire place will try the

"you will look like a tourist in that car - get this upgrade for only $400 and you will not get robbed"

tell them to fkcu off
Old 10 November 2004, 11:11 PM
tiggers
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ron,

As far as getting in no need to panic mate, the media have been at it once again. Providing you have a machine readable passport from a country that is in the US Visa Waiver scheme and no convictions or arrests etc. you will be fine.

If your passport has two rows of letters and numbers on the bottom of the photo page then it's machine readable. If it's a UK passport then your fine as the UK participates in the Visa Waiver scheme. If it's from another country then you will need to check if the country is in the Visa Waiver scheme - let me know if you can't find out as I have a list somewhere.

When you book your flight you will be asked to give advance passneger information - this is basic stuff like your name, birthday and passport number - this is forwarded to US immigration just prior to you flying - nothing to worry about.

During your flight or sometimes just before you will be given a customs form and green visa waiver form to fill in - all simple stuff (name, address, dob, passport number etc.)

When you arrive in the US immigration will photograph your face digitally, take the fingerprints of your two index fingers and process your visa waiver - they may ask you to prove you live in the UK (or whereve you live) and hence I would take a tax form, payslip or utility bill with me just to be on the safe side. It happens rarely, but better to be prepared.

Once you are processed they will stamp your passport and staple part of your visa waiver form to your passport and you are then allowed to stay for up to three months. They also inspect your customs form which you may be asked for by the customs officials (separate to the immigration service) - again nothing to worry about.

To be fair the US immigration seem to always be well organised and polite and I always find the whole process pretty painless to be honest.

Hope this helps,

tiggers.
Old 10 November 2004, 11:13 PM
john_s
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by RON
Guy's, I'm considering going to the states early next year, to do a sort of fly drive deal, what is it that you need to even get into the states now, and has anyone got any hints tips or ideas.
Just do it!

Don't think there's anything too onerous required to get into the states, except a machine readable passport (which most people have now anyway).

Which part of the US were you thinking of visiting?

John.
Old 10 November 2004, 11:46 PM
RON
Scooby Regular

Tiggers,
Huge thanks for that Mate, I have Uk passport, fairly new one too!!

Some people may not find stuff like this to be a big deal, but when you've never done it, and ain't got a clue what it's all about it becomes something to be concerned about, I am now less concerned thanks to you.

Cheers.

Ron.
Old 11 November 2004, 07:14 AM
tiggers
Scooby Regular

Ron,

You're welcome. No worries about the concern - with all the media hype and tittle tattle over the US tightening their immigration regulations over the last few months I can understand your thoughts entirely.

Hope you have a great time when you go - it's an amazing place to be honest.

Cheers,

tiggers.