Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Anyone been flashed in the face by a gatso at night?

Search this Thread

Old 07 November 2004, 10:12 AM
Lum
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone been flashed in the face by a gatso at night?

I havent, but on the M42 roadworks last night, one facing the other way went off. The device itself was behind my A pillar but I saw the flash.

My GF was not so lucky and was blinded for a good 2-3 seconds after getting a faceful of daylight flash gun while her eyes were in night vision mode.

This worries me greatly as she also drives, and about .1 of a second earlier ot later and the driver would not have been protected by the pillar, it was also just at a point where the road curves so it's quite easy to envisage a situation where, blinded the driver steers too much or not enough ending up in either the cones or the side of the Volvo that was overtaking me.

Has anyone actually been hit in the face by a gatso flash, did it result in an accident, has any research been done into this?

Please lets not turn this into a speeding is good/bad thread, I doubt anyone here will be changing their opinions on that matter and it's been done to death already.
Old 07 November 2004, 10:57 AM
Ubik
Scooby Regular

Location: Covered in stickers in the year of the HUGE concrete

I was the other week around half one in the morning, an ambulance going the other way set it off. No accident resulted as the road was nearly straight and my sight had come back by the time I reached the corner. I agree 2-3 seconds I was totally blind.

I thought it was a bit dodgy. They must have had a nice piccy of me though.
Old 07 November 2004, 02:09 PM
Jerome
Scooby Regular

I got blinded momentarily by a speed camera in Dorset at night. This was one of the few cameras that is outside a school. It was flashing a car coming the other way, but I literally couldn't see a thing for a second or two. Fecking dangerous IMO.
Old 07 November 2004, 02:47 PM
Petem95
Scooby Regular

Loads of evidence to suggest cameras cause accidents, the fact they still use them dispite this just reinforces the fact that theyre primary purpose is revenue.

One of my local cameras which was replaced last week after being burnt down twice previously has just been knocked over by a truck!! - according to the newpaper article people were in a pub opposite watching when it happened, but nobody got the guys reg-plate.... (can picture everyone cheering as it was taken out!!)

Interesting the camera was previously deemed illegal as it was catching people for doing over 30, yet situated before the 30limit. 30 Limit has since been extended to include the camera, yet people who were illegally caught wont be refunded their fines
Old 07 November 2004, 03:17 PM
scooby-si
Scooby Regular

Location: 2005 sso, 1/4 finals,3rd in 60ft; 2004 sso,semi finals,2nd in 60ft time; 2003 standard car 2nd 60ft

i have in 11/9/01 wot a day to get done for speeding 230am when all the road works where on the a45 past silverstone,i was in a 44tonne wagon when it got me, 48 in a 40 killed about 15 cones, couldnt see for a couple of seconds these things should be banned,