Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Linguaphone-Any Good?

Search this Thread

Old 03 November 2004, 08:53 AM
andrewdelvard
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Linguaphone-Any Good?

Mmm. Pondering about this. I know there is no easy way to learn another language. You not only got to learn the words but also immerse yourself in the culture to really feel the words.
I want to learn French. The thought of ever going into a classroom again, I'm ashamed to say fills me with - 'ugh' no thanks. But I've not only got to learn the language I've obviously got to converse in it. So eventually I guess the classroom will have to be visited.
Will Linguaphone give me a decent grounding if I take it seriously?
Seems pretty cheap on eBay.
Mmm still pondering
Old 03 November 2004, 11:52 AM
deano
Scooby Regular

Linguaphone своего пребывания в Византии Калабриец, известный теолог и философ 14 века, принимал активное участие в спорах по двум очень важным вопросам, а именно: об исхождении Св. Духа и об исихии монахов. По первому вопросу он выступил против взгляда Linguaphone.
Old 03 November 2004, 05:06 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Get a sleeping dictionary!

Les
Old 03 November 2004, 08:35 PM
GaryK
Scooby Regular

look out for michel thomas stuff, linguaphone and the way you are taught languages at school are utter pants? Why? You never learnt english reciting verbs and learning tenses now did you?
Old 03 November 2004, 10:53 PM
Brendan Hughes
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

deano, did you copy and paste that, or write it? Doesn't seem to make sense at all...
Old 03 November 2004, 11:23 PM
andrewdelvard
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by GaryK
look out for michel thomas stuff, linguaphone and the way you are taught languages at school are utter pants? Why? You never learnt english reciting verbs and learning tenses now did you?
Thanks for that Gary. Quite intrigued by the Michel Thomas suggestion so looked it up on google Amazon
http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/...983554-9642028
Have these and I'm quite tempted. Will think about it...
Old 04 November 2004, 04:02 PM
Diesel
Scooby Regular

Andrew, I've done a few languages mate, and the only way is in a gang in class, talking out loud. Ideally it would also be IN the country too, but that is an excuse for lots of holidays!

You need feedback and corrections that Linguaphone wont give you, and the minute grammatical pattern start sinking in, you are going to have questions about the billions of anomalies in them!

Also (and dont take this the wrong way) pronunciation by the English can be a bit ropey! English is pronounced VERY differently to Latin based languages for e.g - you must get your vowels un-rounded and be corrected.

D
Old 04 November 2004, 04:53 PM
Diesel
Scooby Regular

was just mailed this special offer if you reckon you have the self discipline to do it at home m8 http://www.digitalriver.com/dr/v2/ec...ACHE_ID=165207

(Me? I STILL dont do the homework the language teacher sets so its no good for me )
Old 04 November 2004, 04:58 PM
Spoon
Scooby Regular

Go for it, you'll be really popular with the women.

Most of them I know, love cunny linguaphone.
Old 04 November 2004, 05:47 PM
andrewdelvard
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Diesel
Andrew, I've done a few languages mate, and the only way is in a gang in class, talking out loud. Ideally it would also be IN the country too, but that is an excuse for lots of holidays!

You need feedback and corrections that Linguaphone wont give you, and the minute grammatical pattern start sinking in, you are going to have questions about the billions of anomalies in them!

Also (and dont take this the wrong way) pronunciation by the English can be a bit ropey! English is pronounced VERY differently to Latin based languages for e.g - you must get your vowels un-rounded and be corrected.

D
Thanks a lot for the info. I guess my main concern is how dedicated I'm going to have to be about this. No point in doing it otherwise. As long as I'm kept stimulated by it all I'll be ok but otherwise...well I know what I'm like.