Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Hypnotherapy to stop smoking?

Search this Thread

Old 01 November 2004, 12:46 PM
Andy Tang
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hypnotherapy to stop smoking?

I'm considering the option of hypnotherapy to give up smoking.

Does anyone have any experiences (rather than opinion) about this? Has anyone had good, bad or indifferent experiences?

What's the average cost? I've found so far, they can cost from £50 to £250 to treat smokers!!

Any recommendations for therapists in Surrey/SW London?

Thanks
Andy

Last edited by Andy Tang; 01 November 2004 at 12:49 PM.
Old 01 November 2004, 01:03 PM
Suresh
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Tried accupuncture to stop smoking once and lit up a *** as I left the building - so not particuarly effective. Maybe hynotherapy will help. Doubt it though.

HTH

Suresh,
Quit smoking 3 years ago through willpower and patches
Old 01 November 2004, 01:31 PM
Account deleted by request
Scooby Regular

Allen Carr, Easyway to stop smoking book - nuff said
Old 01 November 2004, 01:39 PM
Andy Tang
Scooby Regular

Allen Carr didn't work for my friend or my now wife!

I haven't tried it, but I may give it a go.

Cheers
Andy
Old 01 November 2004, 01:52 PM
Andy Tang
Scooby Regular

Thanks to all the people who have PM'd me.

If you can recommend someone/something but want to do it off the board, please PM. I promise I will be discrete with any information given.

Thanks
Andy
Old 01 November 2004, 02:00 PM
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Andy Tang
Allen Carr didn't work for my friend or my now wife!

I haven't tried it, but I may give it a go.

Cheers
Andy
At £5.99 and a few hours of your time it is well worth a go. I never thought I would stop but found the book to work immediately and be a very cheap option.

Good Luck
Old 01 November 2004, 02:17 PM
druddle
Scooby Regular

Andy - YHPM.

Dave
Old 01 November 2004, 02:23 PM
SiPie
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

Allen Carr's book is the best bet...

I had hypnotherapy for over 2 years for something else and it worked completely for that, but the hypntherapist (fully accredited etc) admitted that it has only a small chance of stopping people smoking as you cannot force people's wills and effectively that is what you are doing by trying to stop someone smoking....

Deep down there is a bit of you that wants to keep smoking and that cannot really be changed through hypnotherapy.

He's had 4 attempts to stop me smoking and all have failed gloriously

He charges £40 a session for 90 mins and finds it amusing that people charge you £250 and say they can stop you permanently in one session
Old 01 November 2004, 02:29 PM
Andy Tang
Scooby Regular

Well there is one place that charge £50 for the first session (90 mins) and any additional sessions at £40 (60 mins)

There's another one that charges £250 (90 mins) for one session, and any re-visits will be free.

I might try the Allen Carr route first, as I've never tried before. Failing that I will use hypnotherapy, as I haven't stopped by using willpower, patches, inhalers, gum, tablets, etc!
Old 01 November 2004, 02:37 PM
Old_Fart
Scooby Regular

Would it help if I pointed at you, held my nose, and said 'Eeeww, stinky!' ?
If so we'll meet up soon mate.
Good luck, it's a good thing you are trying to do!
Chuck
Old 01 November 2004, 02:43 PM
RRH
Scooby Regular

I gave up eight years ago with hypnotherapy- and it was completely painless.

http://www.hypno-nlp.com/welcome.asp

Cost me £50.

I did fall off the wagon briefly a couple of years ago, but went for a quick refresher and am now clean again and have been for two years
Old 01 November 2004, 02:45 PM
Andy Tang
Scooby Regular

Chuck,

I'm doing it me, but more importantly for Baby Tang who will be joining us in April!

I know the reasons why I should give up, I know I want to give up.... there's just a small stumbling block! My willpower!

We should meet up soon, before Caroline can't fit into the car any more!!
Old 01 November 2004, 02:46 PM
Andy Tang
Scooby Regular

Before anyone comments, I do not smoke around my wife or unborn child!
Old 01 November 2004, 03:03 PM
Andy Tang
Scooby Regular

Well just nipped out for a cigarette.... and bought the Allen Carr book... let's see if it works!
Old 01 November 2004, 04:10 PM
Buzzer
Scooby Regular

...................... has it worked yet
Old 01 November 2004, 04:13 PM
Andy Tang
Scooby Regular

I'm very confident it will help after 8 chapters, I'll probably finish reading it tonight/tomorrow morning, I'll let you know how I get on!!!
Old 01 November 2004, 04:32 PM
Scooby Regular

I'm very confident it will help after 8 chapters, I'll probably finish reading it tonight/tomorrow morning, I'll let you know how I get on!!!
Good luck Andy,

Sipie makes a crucial point, the Allen Carr book will explain to you a lot of the reasons WHY you smoke. But ultimately you have to WANT to stop smoking

I don't think it is a good idea that you read it all at once, I gave up after reading this book as I took my time with it, read 2/3 or 4 chapters a day, this gives you time to think about why you smoke and why you want to stop.

When reading the book I spent a lot of time thinking about smoking and why I smoked. This helped my stop as I realised that I smoked because it was the easy thing to do, I had done it for so long, all my friends smoke, I liked it. When in truth these are, and excuse the pun 'smokescreen' for the real reasons. I am sure these feeling will grow over the coming days as you read the book.

Take your time with it, enjoy smoking for the time you read the book, have a final night out in the pub etc, follow his instructions and you WILL stop because you will WANT to stop.

Allen Carr does not say or do anything ground breaking, he just puts the obvious across in a very easy to understand way.

Good Luck

(born again) chopper

Last edited by Account deleted by request; 01 November 2004 at 04:39 PM.
Old 01 November 2004, 04:32 PM
Jerome
Scooby Regular

Allen Carr himself gave up after hypnotherapy...
Old 01 November 2004, 05:21 PM
SiPie
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Allen Carr himself gave up after hypnotherapy..
If you read what he says carefully then I think you'll find that it goes somehting like this.......

He didn't deny that it possibly saved his life, and technically you are correct as he did give up after having some hypnotherapy, but he does mention that this did not cause him to stop
Old 01 November 2004, 05:35 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Stick with it, its great when you have beaten it but you don't need me to tell its difficult.

Les
Old 01 November 2004, 05:41 PM
Stiff
Scooby Regular

Andy, keep us informed as I've tried countless times to stop now using just willpower. It's not worked yet. Interesting to see if book helps.
Old 01 November 2004, 05:45 PM
the moose
Scooby Regular

Once you want to stop, you will. I know, I did exactly that.

Once I realised that, much as I enjoyed smoking (and I did, I really did), I'd rather not die a slow and painful death from lung cancer, there really wasn't any option. I stopped 12 years ago, and although I have an occasional cigarette (a packet a year, perhaps, if on a boys trip away), I am a non-smoker at heart.

Reading John Grisham's Runaway Jury recently (hey, I was on a skiing holiday, I couldn't find anything else to read!), I recall the point made well by one of the characters - smoking is different from drinking, in that if use tobacco in the way it's intended to be used, it'll kill you. Basically, it's a poison.

Once you've got that thought resonating through your head, there's not a lot of will keeping you going, now is there?
Old 01 November 2004, 09:38 PM
Andy Tang
Scooby Regular

Not that I want to preach, I 'thought' I enjoyed smoking, I 'thought' smoking was a stress relief, I 'thought' I could stop any time, I 'thought' I had an addictive personality.... I now KNOW I'm a non-smoker!!

I may have read the book in less than 6 hours, but I feel and I know..... I'm a non-smoker.

Bear in mind I've tried all sorts before, willpower, gum, inhalators, tablets, cutting down, shock tactics (what could happen in the future), subsituting with food, etc, etc.... but after all of those I have never felt as confident as I do now!

The book is £8.99, give it a go... it's only the cost of 40 cigarettes!

I won't be counting days! I use to do that, but it made me climb the walls, and made me crave cigarettes more.

The book is not brainwashing.... as brainwashing forces to believe something that is not true! It has opened my eyes!

As the book says... "YIPPEE! I'M A NON-SMOKER!"
Old 01 November 2004, 10:05 PM
Brun
Scooby Senior

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

A good mate of mine had smoked since she was 12 (is now 25) and had never ever thought of quitting till she had one of those "healthy" days 10 weeks ago. She booked herself in for Hypno at £95 for the following day. She has not had another *** since
Pretty much think i might give it a go
Old 01 November 2004, 10:06 PM
Jerome
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by SiPie
If you read what he says carefully then I think you'll find that it goes somehting like this.......

He didn't deny that it possibly saved his life, and technically you are correct as he did give up after having some hypnotherapy, but he does mention that this did not cause him to stop
You're absolutely right. I do remember him labouring the point that it wasn't the hynpo that made him give up, I just thought I'd be facetious.
Old 02 November 2004, 09:23 AM
Scooby Regular

Not that I want to preach, I 'thought' I enjoyed smoking, I 'thought' smoking was a stress relief, I 'thought' I could stop any time, I 'thought' I had an addictive personality.... I now KNOW I'm a non-smoker!!

I may have read the book in less than 6 hours, but I feel and I know..... I'm a non-smoker.

Bear in mind I've tried all sorts before, willpower, gum, inhalators, tablets, cutting down, shock tactics (what could happen in the future), subsituting with food, etc, etc.... but after all of those I have never felt as confident as I do now!

The book is £8.99, give it a go... it's only the cost of 40 cigarettes!

I won't be counting days! I use to do that, but it made me climb the walls, and made me crave cigarettes more.

The book is not brainwashing.... as brainwashing forces to believe something that is not true! It has opened my eyes!

As the book says... "YIPPEE! I'M A NON-SMOKER!"
Another believer
Old 02 November 2004, 10:14 AM
SCOSaltire
Scooby Regular

that reasoning is what a good hypnotherapy guy would help u grasp hold of and keep.
he would give u the tools to control feelings that u get.

as said - u need to want to stop... and u do now thanks to the point of view put over by the book.

i suggest grasping hold of ur new found belief and getting it hypnotised into u by a good hypnotherapist.
Old 13 November 2004, 10:23 PM
colby
Scooby Regular

i have found that chopping your hand of works very well
the down side is that it not very good for thoose people that have to use a key board !!!!!!
Old 13 November 2004, 10:37 PM
hugo
Scooby Regular

The key to this lies in the psychological concept of 'locus of control'. With regards to giving up smoking you can either externalise the locus of control (i.e. employ stuff like accupuncture, hypnotherapy etc etc) or internalise it (i.e. positively identify a genuine will to stop and take control yourself...and stop). If your locus of control is external, you can always blame its inneffectiveness for your own failure......doesn't bode well for success! I would say you have to look deep inside yourself, not let the voluptuous Madame Nicotine seduce you any more, and just stop!!! All the rest is for exploitative moneymakers! Hope this helps.
Hugh
PS I am not a psychologist and I am a smoker who is carefully thinking about this and trying to work out a long term strategy.
Old 14 November 2004, 09:06 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

I had tried several times to stop but never managed to make it last. Eventually I fell off a ladder and had to spend time in hospital gettiing my hip rebuilt. I had my last cigarette waiting for the ambulance.

I wanted to get out of bed to go to the smoking room after the operation but somehow was able to stop myself. When I got home I managed to keep off them althought I cornered the market in Maltesers

I still cannot explain what the difference was that gave me that extra bit of willpower to stay off them, but have never regretted it ever since.

Good luck Andy, hope it all works for you.

Les