Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Anyway of getting voice POI on TomTom for GPS Camera's

Search this Thread

Old 27 October 2004, 02:14 PM
mega_stream
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Anyway of getting voice POI on TomTom for GPS Camera's

Anyone know if there's a voice plug-in available for TomTom GPS POI?

Thinking of getting this on my iPAQ rather than splashing out for a dedecated GPS detector for speed camera's.
Old 27 October 2004, 02:41 PM
IanW
Scooby Regular

Yes

http://www.pocketgps.co.uk/uksafetycameras.php

I also ran an application called CheckPOInt which gives you voice promts of the proximity etc...

http://www.pocketgps.co.uk/uksafetyc...checkpoint.php
Old 27 October 2004, 05:09 PM
mega_stream
Scooby Regular

Talking

Thanks for that.
Old 27 October 2004, 09:40 PM
douglasb
Scooby Regular

I asked a similar question on this thread.

Everything is installed and working fine. Comments I would make are (1) that as the database just stores geographical locations of cameras and doesn't know which side of the road I am on, I get warnings of cameras on the other side of the road as well as ones that will affect me,.

(2) The warning system seems to work by calculating a 20 degree arc in front of your current position and checking if there are any positions in the database to warn you about. On an open A road, that is fine, but if driving on a motorway where there are roads running parallel or there is a known camera within that arc, there will be false warnings. The most bizarre of these (that I have found) is when driving along my road. It runs parallel with the main road and has a 90 degree bend away from the main road about 400 yards before there is a camera on the main road. I get a warning as I take the 90 degree bend away from the main road!

(3) It is purely a database of known camera sites. It has the Gatso sites on the M42 roadworks, but it will not detect scamera vans and other temporary sites. It is also only as up to date as when you last updated it and when the list of sites was updated. In practice, the list should be updated at least monthly. Basically, remember that it is not a licence to speed with impunity - it is just a warning of known camera sites.

(4) There are occasional "misses" where cameras have been in-situ for quite some time, but are not picked up. Similarly, the database is quite certain that there is a camera in the middle of Alderley Edge - I can't recall a camera being at that position in the last four years, even when building works were going on.

On the other hand, it is all free and could give you an indication of what's ahead. Costs nothing to try it out.
Old 27 October 2004, 10:07 PM
carl
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by douglasb
(2) The warning system seems to work by calculating a 20 degree arc in front of your current position and checking if there are any positions in the database to warn you about.
You could make the detection angle narrower, but I'm always loathe to do that as I don't think it will give adequate warning of a camera after a sweeping bend. I prefer false positives to false negatives

(4) There are occasional "misses" where cameras have been in-situ for quite some time, but are not picked up. Similarly, the database is quite certain that there is a camera in the middle of Alderley Edge - I can't recall a camera being at that position in the last four years, even when building works were going on.
So submit the information you have to cameras@pocketgpsworld.com -- all of these databases (including Road Angel, Morpheus, et al) rely on members of the public to update the database. As the pocketgpsworld camera database is free I feel it is my duty to contribute. The commercial offerings cover this by bribing you to submit new camera locations
Old 27 October 2004, 10:20 PM
douglasb
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by carl
You could make the detection angle narrower, but I'm always loathe to do that as I don't think it will give adequate warning of a camera after a sweeping bend. I prefer false positives to false negatives
I agree. I've reached the conclusion that if I'm driving on a motorway in a built up area (eg M6 through Brum), then as long as the speed limit is 70mph any warnings are likely to be false. Completely agree about the "sweeping bends" reason for not narrowing the detection angle.

So submit the information you have to cameras@pocketgpsworld.com -- all of these databases (including Road Angel, Morpheus, et al) rely on members of the public to update the database. As the pocketgpsworld camera database is free I feel it is my duty to contribute. The commercial offerings cover this by bribing you to submit new camera locations
I'm happy to submit details of non-recognised cameras, but some of the ones I'm thinking of shouldn't be unrecognised and this makes me suspect something in the GPS software or reception rather than the database information.

A particular example is going down from the M62 into Halifax. The dual carriageway used to be either a 60 or 70 limit. When the limit was reduced to 50mph, guess what happened? On a downhill stretch, around five Gatsos were installed. That was for road safety? Anyway, they were all installed at the same time, but the combination of software mentioned in previous posts doesn't pick them all up.
Old 27 October 2004, 11:12 PM
carl
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by douglasb
I agree. I've reached the conclusion that if I'm driving on a motorway in a built up area (eg M6 through Brum), then as long as the speed limit is 70mph any warnings are likely to be false. Completely agree about the "sweeping bends" reason for not narrowing the detection angle.
Pocketgpsworld are working on speed limit data (grouping the cameras into 30, 40, 50, 60 and 70 limits, so that you can warn only when you're above the posted limit). In the meantime, I've set mine not to warn when going less than 30 mph to avoid all those annoying warnings when in a traffic queue. Now that they've separated out the red light cameras, I've set that to warn regardless of speed.