Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Plasma AV setup

Search this Thread

Old 25 October 2004, 04:23 PM
Tebo
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Plasma AV setup

I am currently considering the Panasonic TH42PWD6BX from other recommendations I have seen on here, the best Price I have found is Ebuyer at £1599 inclusive of VAT and a Free Video Board, is this currently the best screen for the price? is it worth paying the extra for the TH42PW7B which is more like £1899 and are there any major improvements to warrant the extra cost.

I will want to connect SKY+ and a DVD Player into the panasonic unit, but the player is going to be replaced by a DVD recorder shortly probably the Toshiba RD-XS32, is this the best DVD Recorder around at the moment? I want the unit to have a HDD and an I-link connector. what is going to be the best connection method for these two to the plasma screen, as I will need to buy, some of the extra plug in modules, to allow this on the panasonic screen.

as for the Audio side of things I really dont know what to do, so looking for some solutions on this side of it. AV receiver or one of these 5.1 surround packages?

sorry for all the questions but this is a big purchase for me, and I want to get it right the first time, as I will have to live the stuff for many years to come.

Thanks for your help
Tebo
Old 25 October 2004, 04:27 PM
r32
Scooby Regular

I have the 37" version, not sure of the model number (It was 2,800 though) but its amazing ..............
Old 25 October 2004, 07:05 PM
djuk
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Tebo
I am currently considering the Panasonic TH42PWD6BX from other recommendations I have seen on here, the best Price I have found is Ebuyer at £1599 inclusive of VAT and a Free Video Board, is this currently the best screen for the price? is it worth paying the extra for the TH42PW7B which is more like £1899 and are there any major improvements to warrant the extra cost.

I will want to connect SKY+ and a DVD Player into the panasonic unit, but the player is going to be replaced by a DVD recorder shortly probably the Toshiba RD-XS32, is this the best DVD Recorder around at the moment? I want the unit to have a HDD and an I-link connector. what is going to be the best connection method for these two to the plasma screen, as I will need to buy, some of the extra plug in modules, to allow this on the panasonic screen.

as for the Audio side of things I really dont know what to do, so looking for some solutions on this side of it. AV receiver or one of these 5.1 surround packages?

sorry for all the questions but this is a big purchase for me, and I want to get it right the first time, as I will have to live the stuff for many years to come.

Thanks for your help
Tebo
I would say unless you really need the extra features of the PW7 the PW6 is a pretty good deal. The resolution on the smaller versions (37 and 42) of the PW7 is the same, and the only key difference as far as it goes is the addition of a HDMI terminal board to the line-up.

If you're going to be hooking up Sky+ and a DVD Recorder theres a few options available. I assume the video board you will be getting with the unit is a scart one? If so that takes care of the Sky+ and you will need one more connection board for the DVD recorder. If the unit you are looking at is progressive scan compatible then you may want to go for a component terminal board in order to utilise this feature.

There are 3 terminal board slots on the PW6 - Slots 1 and 2 can both take a scart although Slot 3 will not.. but will take a component.

Regarding home cinema systems, they've come down in price a lot lately so you could pick a decent one without spending the earth. Ideal situation will be if your chosen DVD Recorder has a digital optical output and a home cinema surround system with an optical input to get Dolby 5.1 surround sound. You will have more choice if you pick your speakers and receiver seperately but some of the packages are pretty decent.

Hope this helps, I may have waffled slightly but if you need any more info give me a shout

David
Old 25 October 2004, 07:55 PM
ScoobyJawa
Scooby Regular

As said - IMHO theres not enough to justify the extra cost of the D7. I've seen 1650 delivered including a free board so thats not a bad deal.

I have the D6 and its a truely stunning screen for the price

Get the scart board and shove the Sky into that, then get a progressive scan DVD (the difference is amazing!), but you don't need a component board for it. You can get a good lead made up (I went for Van Damme - lol! cable) and it has composite into a VGA connector which means you can plug it into the VGA input it comes with anyway, saving yourself the money of a new board. The lead cost me 40.
Old 25 October 2004, 07:56 PM
ScoobyJawa
Scooby Regular

Oh, and as for home cinema - I got the Denon DHT500SD and its fapping brilliant, 5 star system and comes out well in the What Hi Fi awards. Its a superb bit of kit for all in one, and an almost unbelievable price
Old 27 October 2004, 06:50 PM
Tebo
Scooby Regular

cheers for the replies guys.

The only reason for I can see for considering a D7 is the HDMI input for future use.

I have decided on the Denon AVR-2805 for the AV receiver, as it switches component video. and the Canton CD1 speaker package.

I am going to stick with just the one Component video board on the PD6 and let the AV unit do the rest.

looks like I am also going to go with the Toshiba RD-XS32 DVD recorder as well as it has component out and an I-link connector for my camcorder.

I am almost ready to order, its just that its come to about a £1000 more than I was expecting. So I just need to make sure I have made all the right choices.

Thanks
Tebo
Old 27 October 2004, 07:19 PM
ScoobyJawa
Scooby Regular

You won't be dissapointed
Old 27 October 2004, 07:26 PM
stevebt
Scooby Regular

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

this is a big purchase for me, and I want to get it right the first time
your never going to get it right 1st time , i have changed my setup a couple fo times, the most important thing to spend the cash on for to get it right 1st time is most definately the sub i bought a rel sub best money i spent home cinema wise but ive since changed it :eek : for another rel Q200e these subs are amazing even if you only have modest speakers as the sub will ahndle all the base be warned though rel subs my cause argument with the nieghbours