Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

The Day After Tomorrow Review (possible spoiler)

Search this Thread

Old 24 October 2004, 05:12 AM
Jerome
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The Day After Tomorrow Review (possible spoiler)

Just finished watching this film, so thought I give a mini review.

My gf and I spent the whole film pointing out small, but irritating, flaws. Like people climbing up metal ladders on a ship in freezing conditions with no gloves on. And a massive tidal wave engulfing New York without knocking a single building over. There are so many of these it would be boring to list the ones I can remember. Furthermore, in typical Hollywood style, it assumes the non-US world are heathens - for example a guy in New York wants to save a bible as if it will be the last one mankind has a copy of. I'm sure there is the odd copy lurking around in the Southern Hemisphere.

There is the usual Hollywood treacle, not to mention a fair amount of political statement with respect to mankinds abuse of the planet.

Overall, not a bad film, but one to watch when it moves off the latest release shelf of Blockbusters.
Old 24 October 2004, 08:18 AM
P1Fanatic
Scooby Regular

Was ok to watch due to special affects - that oil tanker ship coming into the city was cool. Really hated the fact that conditions we so bad yet the dudes father can walk across states and hardly suffer at all.

Simon.
Old 24 October 2004, 09:26 AM
*Sonic*
Scooby Regular

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

for some reason it reminded me of independance day

it was ok, but nothing more
Old 24 October 2004, 10:01 AM
pbee
Scooby Regular

wasnt it the same director as independance day ?. Saw this on a fligh to the states a while back, better than staring at the seat infront but only just.
Old 24 October 2004, 10:21 AM
Peanuts
Scooby Regular

I thought it was a good movie, the only let down for me was that the defrosting took about 1/2 an hour real time (ie about 2 minutes in the film).
other than that it was a good movie.
Old 24 October 2004, 10:24 AM
Wish
Scooby Regular

I have to say i watched the film a couple of months ago. It was the worst film i have seen EVER !
Old 24 October 2004, 10:33 AM
StickyMicky
Scooby Regular

it was intresting but not amazing

Trending Topics

Old 24 October 2004, 10:34 AM
*Sonic*
Scooby Regular

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

yes, it was the same director as Independance Day/Stargate/Godzilla
Old 24 October 2004, 10:58 AM
DrJP
Scooby Regular

Saw it in the cinema, the only thing not immediately forgettable were the excellent special effects
Old 24 October 2004, 01:08 PM
LG John
Scooby Regular

I can't remember exactly what is said but right at the end the president says something utterly degrading to every third world coutry and pretty much all of the southern hemisphere!! Me and my mate were actually laughing out loud in the cinema when everyone else was quiet
Old 24 October 2004, 02:46 PM
Ubik
Scooby Regular

Location: Covered in stickers in the year of the HUGE concrete

Originally Posted by Jerome
not to mention a fair amount of political statement with respect to mankinds abuse of the planet.
Indeed, I think it started with the tramp walking in the rain mumbling on about people in cars burning up the worlds resources. >cue prod in ribs for driving the car I do <

I enjoyed it apart from the bit at the end, yes there were more than a few errors in the film. What happened to the wolves outside the door after they chased the three lads into the library?
Old 24 October 2004, 02:59 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

Jerome, one word "wolves". Must admit that is some of the worst CGI I've seen a while

Typical Roland Emmeric (sp?) stuff. The statue of liberty standing resolute, yeah, yeah, whatever. Fecking yanks! as you say, so yank centric.

I did laugh, very very loud when Mexico started to refuse entry to the yanks, oh please let that happen for real

My friends comment was "Oh, we'd be f**ked then!" which is true, Canada would be a mite bit colder than usual

BTW - did you know that what is now Team America, was, in fact, going to be a puppet version remake of this film hehehe, now that would have been funny

Last edited by Markus; 24 October 2004 at 03:35 PM.
Old 24 October 2004, 03:37 PM
DEEDEE
Scooby Regular

Watched it last night. Special effects where very good, and then full stop I think. I even did a crossword while it was playing it was that interesting.
Old 24 October 2004, 03:56 PM
Jerome
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Markus
Jerome, one word "wolves". Must admit that is some of the worst CGI I've seen a while

Typical Roland Emmeric (sp?) stuff. The statue of liberty standing resolute, yeah, yeah, whatever. Fecking yanks! as you say, so yank centric.

I did laugh, very very loud when Mexico started to refuse entry to the yanks, oh please let that happen for real

My friends comment was "Oh, we'd be f**ked then!" which is true, Canada would be a mite bit colder than usual

BTW - did you know that what is now Team America, was, in fact, going to be a puppet version remake of this film hehehe, now that would have been funny
Ah yes, the wolves. When those guys in the zoo noticed the wolves were missing I knew a "wolves chase the hero but never quite catch him despite the fact they can run twice as fast as a human" scene was on the cards. The CGI for the wolves was pretty bad for this day and age also.

I was beside myself at the irony of Mexico initially refusing entry to the Yanks.

And can't the Yanks see that any film that uses the Statue of Liberty like that makes them a cliche laughing stock outside of the US? Apparently not considering how often it is used.

As for Canada, I doubt they would even notice. Maybe a few "cold, eh?" comments, but otherwise life would go on as normal.
Old 24 October 2004, 10:03 PM
Chelsie-Bun
Scooby Regular

Why is this movie so cheap to buy when it's only just come out ?

Sailsburys £11.99
Play.com 10.99

Chel xx