Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Why all the Fuss about a few troops deploying?

Search this Thread

Old 21 October 2004, 11:54 PM
Chins
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red face Why all the Fuss about a few troops deploying?

I could be thick, but whats the fuss in the papers, media etc. Some troops are moving north in Iraq and parents of troops are appalled. Gobsmacked.
These guys are soldiers and joined in the knowledge that they might get shot at. The Yanks are in the hot spots (whilst not being the best diplomats). We went into Iraq and dont want to put our troops into risky area's whilst happy to leave the Yanks to suffer the brunt.

Jonathan
Old 21 October 2004, 11:58 PM
MJW
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by Chins
I could be thick, but whats the fuss in the papers, media etc. Some troops are moving north in Iraq and parents of troops are appalled. Gobsmacked.
These guys are soldiers and joined in the knowledge that they might get shot at.
Hmm just because they know the risks doesn't necessarily mean that the families of the soldiers shouldn't be upset about putting them at further risk.
Most of the controversy is that this is seen as Bush's way of rallying his allies to show a united front to the US public, who he is trying to impress to get more votes. Though why he doesn't just rig the ballot like he did last time is anybody's guess.
Old 21 October 2004, 11:58 PM
gsm1
Scooby Regular

The fuss is that the move is purely to help Bush in his election campaign.
For those papers that sold us this phoney war with phoney Tony, I agree, they should shut the f**k up. But you can't blame relatives of those Brit troops being concerned.
Old 21 October 2004, 11:59 PM
gsm1
Scooby Regular

errr..what MJW said
Old 22 October 2004, 12:10 AM
Chins
Scooby Regular

Do we really think that 800 odd troops will ensure Bush's relection Think this is dreamworld. Seems weaker than a pint of Bud to me.
Old 22 October 2004, 12:24 AM
Bubba po
Scooby Regular

Hey everyone! Welcome to the world of terrorist targetry!
Old 22 October 2004, 12:29 AM
Jerome
Scooby Regular

Do we really think that 800 odd troops will ensure Bush's relection Think this is dreamworld. Seems weaker than a pint of Bud to me.
It's not the number of troops, it's the fact that Bush can gloat that he and not Kerry has the support of Britain in the war against terror etc.

I'm still staggered that no-one can see through a blatant political move. Quite how 650 troops will make a difference when the US has over 100,000 out there is beyond me.

From the point of view of the relatives of the British troops, the increased risk is extremely worrying. It's bad enough in the south, without having to deal with Iraqis the US troops have alienated outside Bagdad.

Trending Topics

Old 22 October 2004, 12:35 AM
letdown
Scooby Regular

Red face

These guys are soldiers and joined in the knowledge that they might get shot at. The Yanks are in the hot spots (whilst not being the best diplomats). We went into Iraq and dont want to put our troops into risky area's whilst happy to leave the Yanks to suffer the brunt.

Jonathan
The fuss is because they will get shot to bits.
Old 22 October 2004, 02:21 AM
Brendan Hughes
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

...by the Yanks, if the past is anything to go by.
Old 22 October 2004, 05:06 AM
Jerome
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Brendan Hughes
...by the Yanks, if the past is anything to go by.
Too true. In both wars in the Gulf, more British soldiers were killed by the US than by Iraqis.

I also know of a very close call where an entire British squadron were nearly wiped out by the Yanks.
Old 22 October 2004, 06:21 AM
Iwan
Scooby Regular

I'm sure Tonys generosity will be repaid next year before the general election.

TB "er GW, we've got an election coming up soon, how about letting us pull a few troops out and you step in to cover"
GW "uuuu, ummm, no i don't think so"
TB "Oh come on mate, we did the same favour for you"
GW "yeah but that was different, it was me who wanted something then"
TB "oh right, i see your point, ok then"
GW "heh heh, well done little doggy"
TB "ah well, i was going to retire soon anyway"
Old 22 October 2004, 06:24 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

It is a political move of course in order to boost Bush's election chances and for our leaders to ingratiate themselves further with Bush, regardless of the extreme extra risks to our troops. The military hierachy will say exactly what they are told for the sake of their own careers. They won't be in the thick of it either of course.

To say that the soldiers are being paid to be cannon fodder is the same sort of thinking which caused the immense casualties in the first world war due to the type of warfare carried out by the "Colonel Blimps" of the time! All for the sake of a few yards of territory.

Les
Old 22 October 2004, 08:46 AM
class_A
Scooby Regular

Of the 130,000+ US soldiers on duty in Iraq, around 39% are from Reserves/National Guard.

The 650 British troops of the Black Watch are replacing the 24th Marines Expeditionary Unit, a force of about 2000.

But yes, the timing is obviously just coincidental
Old 22 October 2004, 09:15 AM
darts_aint_sport
Scooby Regular

I'm afraid I'm at a loss to understand why people are so against this. We agreed to be in the war, so is it not obvious that we go where the fighting is? Isn't that what we (well, the government) signed up for? Or should we stay in the not so dangerous bits because we don't want our boys to get hurt, ffs! Seems some people are only now understanding just exactly what it means to be in a war.

As for it being political, well, who knows, we could argue about it endlessly and we'll never know the true reason, some people will be cynical about everything, others keep an open mind.
Old 22 October 2004, 09:19 AM
ChrisB

I'm told the Black Watch have been looking to forward to heading up country.
Old 22 October 2004, 09:27 AM
Simon C
Scooby Regular

A couple of my mate who are serving members and had their leave cancelled when the British hostage was killed, are of the opinion we should have done it properly first time round.

As for the families being upset, they have every right to be. Their offspring signed up to defend THIS country, not play policemen in someone elses.
Old 22 October 2004, 06:30 PM
k.b
Scooby Regular

this is the black watches second 6 month tour of duty in iraq and were supposed to be coming home late november but because of this move where a significantly smaller number of troops are replacing the yanks its now thought they will be in iraq doing this until around jan or feb.

i think that that is one of the reasons that the familys of the troops are getting a bit pi$$ed off
Old 22 October 2004, 08:49 PM
Chins
Scooby Regular

Red face

Originally Posted by darts_aint_sport
I'm afraid I'm at a loss to understand why people are so against this. We agreed to be in the war, so is it not obvious that we go where the fighting is? Isn't that what we (well, the government) signed up for? Or should we stay in the not so dangerous bits because we don't want our boys to get hurt, ffs! Seems some people are only now understanding just exactly what it means to be in a war.

As for it being political, well, who knows, we could argue about it endlessly and we'll never know the true reason, some people will be cynical about everything, others keep an open mind.
Totally agree
Old 22 October 2004, 08:53 PM
Chins
Scooby Regular

Red face

Originally Posted by k.b
this is the black watches second 6 month tour of duty in iraq and were supposed to be coming home late november but because of this move where a significantly smaller number of troops are replacing the yanks its now thought they will be in iraq doing this until around jan or feb.

i think that that is one of the reasons that the familys of the troops are getting a bit pi$$ed off
Its life in a full set of foulies I would of said. You join the military and take the rap. The yanks tend to have much longer tour of duties compaered to UK forces, or they did when I was a signed up member of Her Majesties Armed Forces.

Jonathan
Old 22 October 2004, 10:24 PM
Taff107
Scooby Regular

....and how long did you serve, Chins?
Old 22 October 2004, 10:31 PM
moses
BANNED
Support Scoobynet!

british soldiers shouldnt be sent to baghdad so they can get their names tarnished as the scum usa soldiers, and like the paper said they need 850 soldiers, what are 850 soldiers gonna do in iraq, usa has 135000 soldiers and some more in kuwait for back up if they needed them.
Old 22 October 2004, 10:32 PM
wrxtankie
Scooby Regular

Location: A.K.A RAIDEN, Watford & Tidworth. V7 STI Type RA Spec C, V2 STI,97JDM WRX, Daytona 675R

mmmmmmmm, hi again taff
Old 22 October 2004, 10:33 PM
wrxtankie
Scooby Regular

Location: A.K.A RAIDEN, Watford & Tidworth. V7 STI Type RA Spec C, V2 STI,97JDM WRX, Daytona 675R

Originally Posted by moses
british soldiers shouldnt be sent to baghdad so they can get their names tarnished as the scum usa soldiers, and like the paper said they need 850 soldiers, what are 850 soldiers gonna do in iraq, usa has 135000 soldiers and some more in kuwait for back up if they needed them.
I wouldnt say they were all scum but fair play to ya moses, however we would do a better job.

Last edited by wrxtankie; 22 October 2004 at 10:35 PM.
Old 22 October 2004, 10:35 PM
Taff107
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by wrxtankie
mmmmmmmm, hi again taff
Tankie, you been on holidays?
Old 22 October 2004, 10:36 PM
wrxtankie
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Taff107
Tankie, you been on holidays?
Erm trails end, canada m8 so yeah kind of LOL
Old 22 October 2004, 10:37 PM
moses
BANNED
Support Scoobynet!

hello tankie been ages mate, hows things aint seen u for months here
Old 22 October 2004, 10:39 PM
wrxtankie
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by moses
hello tankie been ages mate, hows things aint seen u for months here
was sent away on 1 days notice to canada, i had to do a transport manager type of job, it sucked but the company car was bling bling lol and the scenery..... well i was in the rockies so you can imagine.
Old 22 October 2004, 10:42 PM
Chins
Scooby Regular

Red face

Originally Posted by Taff107
....and how long did you serve, Chins?
Only 6 years of hard cleaning and trips to the South Atlantic
The Senior Service is a better place without me, at least the weapons systems have a better chance of working

Jonathan
Old 22 October 2004, 10:45 PM
wrxtankie
Scooby Regular

One of these bad boys for three months, kin ell did it drink some. still i wasnt paying for it. Thank you all for paying for my bling bling ride for three months LOL

Anyway back on topic.....

Last edited by wrxtankie; 22 October 2004 at 10:50 PM.
Old 22 October 2004, 11:11 PM
Taff107
Scooby Regular

Its life in a full set of foulies I would of said. You join the military and take the rap.
Jonathan
Umm, you were a matelot? How can you possibly have an opinion? You sit 5 miles out!...........

Quick Reply: Why all the Fuss about a few troops deploying?