Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Rave review, ExperiMENTAL 8/10/04

Search this Thread

Old 21 October 2004, 10:21 PM
astraboy
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rave review, ExperiMENTAL 8/10/04

A relatively new event on the London Hardcore scene, ExperiMENTAL is a mere two events old. However, the promoters seem hell bent on doing things properly from the outset, with their first event touching down being an all night event with a varied lineup which included more than a few big name DJs to bring the ravers in and at a central London venue as well. Unfortunately, I couldn't make it to that party which was a shame as I like to support new events in London as they are few and far between. Okay its cos I'm a lazy barsteward and I like being in my bed an hour after it finishes!
I was pleased to hear that the second event was not far off, but I was surprised as the speed in which it was organised. This time there were a few subtle differences such as a venue change to SeOne's Deep Blue arches and a full on 7am finish as well. Apart from that it was business as usual with a seriously impressive lineup which tastefully mixed in the biggest names in the scene such as Sy, Storm, Kevin Energy and Sharkey, Whizzkid, and Billy Daniel Bunter with the best raw talent of the scene such as RV2, Mayhem, Skampy, Scottie B, Mantra and MC Doc-E. Lastly, the creative talents some of the scene's hardest workers in the shape of Cris-E-Manic and Gammer bridged the gap between the two. If that werent enough, the party had somehow managed to cram three arenas into a relatively small venue. The main arena was the natural home of Upfront Hardcore, but the side arches held a Techno and Gabba arena and an oldskool arena which morphed into a chillout at the stroke of three. All of this for an advance price of a tenner? Cant go wrong with that can you?
There was no stopping me this time, I was attending this event for sure, even if I was a little late! I usually cant wait to get into raves so I'm through the door as soon as they open, but previous commitments saw me strolling in at a positively shocking 1.30am! However, despite my fears of security not letting me in, I was waved in with a friendly nod and paid my tenner prepaid guestlist place and I was in.
Just in time as well, one of the sets I didnt want to miss was the 2 hour Gabba Special from Little Miss Manic herself. I cant remember the last time she'd done a pure Gabba set or even if she had ever done one before, but I had a solid half an hour to settle in and find my space before she arrived. Handily there were other distractions in the form of Mantra shaking up the main arena to keep me occupied in the meantime. After an hour of driving to get into London, it was time for the reward, so I got down to business as Mantra, and MCs LB and Scotti B returned the favour on the mic and decks. Top way to start of my rave this one, Mantra gave it loads in the form of tunes I both love and haven't heard for quite a while. A sizeable crowd on the dancefloor had the same ideas as me and I quickly found my own area to lose myself in the tunes. Easy to do with the quality of tunes. Unfortunately I can now only remember my personal favourite, but it sets the tone of the rest of the sets Danceability cos its "Indentify the Beat". Like I said, very nice indeed.
All too soon it was nearly 2am so I broke away to find the techno room a little lacking in people, but making up for it in atmosphere and production. It was clear that other people had the same ideas as me cos after I arrived I was soon joined by a gaggle of familiar and not so familiar faces. Of course, there was the recognisable face of Hardcore's first lady on the decks as well. Totally MC free and all the better for enjoying the tunes, Cris-E got to work and played a well constructed set. Starting off with plenty of Enzyme tunage, the tempo and pace were surprisingly soft for a Dutch Harcore label, but as she worked through her set she steadily upped the ante, as well as the hardness of the tunes, although she even managed to drop a tune that I could have sworn had a breakbeat in there somewhere. Eventually she stopped teasing the crowd and gave them what they wanted. Some serious Dengs were soon eminating from the sound system and the party crew on the dancefloor were going for it as hard as the tunes they were dancing through. Crissy also has the dubious honour of being able to say she broke me a mere two hours after I have walked into a rave. At the end of her set I was a sweating, shaking and dizzy mess. I used to be Hardcore you know
Security were supercool with me ducking out for 10 minutes and after returning outside of a pasty and king size dairy milk from the 24 hour shop I was ready to start again.
Just as well as another one of the highlights of the night was on in the main arena! Billy Daniel Bunter was on the decks and was due to drop a rare upfront Hardcore set. If that werent good enough the one and only Whizzkid was in charge of all things lyrical on the mic. No time to waste, I was feeling great and the tunes were making me feel better. Easily done when Bunter dropped a Tasty (pun intended!) remix of "no good (start the Dance)" and it got even better with him dropping CLSM's "You know how to love me" and "I'm born again" as well. I'll tell you the truth, I cant remember much about this set apart from those tunes and me dancing away by the speaker, but then again, with those two in charge, do you really need much more? Exactly.
Next up after Bunter had finished with us was the turn of rising star DJ Gammer to do his thang. Not content with furious producing during the week, this man also manages to cram in quality DJ sets and still leave enough time to drink the european Tequila lake on a weekly basis! On this occasion he was concentrating on the middle of the above three qualities and it showed as he was cramming his set with some serious tunage. The crowd showed no hint of fading and even if they did, MC Scotti B on the mic would have been straight on the case like he always is.
Gammer was the star of the show this time though, A no nonsense, upfront Hardcore stomping session was just what I needed and with tunes like "HeartBeatz", "Died Oh RIP", "Do it like they do", "Driftin away" and the equally awesome "3000 cycles" and upfront remix of "Injected with a poision", I was alternating between getting my hands in the air, rushing like a barsteward and stomping like a madman. An absolute blinder of a set this one. Really enjoyed it.
Lastly, as is tradition at most raves these days, the last set of the night saw Hardcore's firm favourite's Sy and Storm take to the stage. The Power Hour was all set to take us to 7am. No messing about here either, another proper Hardcore stomping session was exactly what the ravers wanted and tore the place apart with blinding tunes of excessive bouncyness, accompanied, of course, by an overload of scratch battles with Storm on the mic. It was near on 7am but nobody was leaving for love nor money least of all me. The top end quality of the tunes precluded the notion. It just weren't happening. I mean, would you stop raving annd turn around and leave when Sy was caining tunes like "Making me want to dance", "Into the sound", "Discoland", "4am" and unless I'm very much mistaken, a nice remix of "One that I Adore" for good measure. All too soon the last tune was faded out and that was the end of the night. All that was left to do was confront the flyer massive on the way out.

Things I liked:

Lineup- a very good effort this one, A good mix of up and coming, industrious producers and guaranteed crowd pullers. Set times were not as predictable as you'd think either with supposed "peak time" sets taken by those who'd be given the warm up set at other raves. This was a breath of fresh air and I liked it.

Production- Lots of it as well. A small helping hand from visual reality meant a properly specced rave.

7am finish - More raves should have em. The trains have started, so have the buses and you've got an extra hour of partying for your money.

Atmosphere - The party crew in the place were well up for a night out and it showed. When the crowd demanded that Sy rewind a tune by making enough noise to overpower it, you know they have their party hats on. The fact it happened at near 7am made it all the more impressive.

Things I liked less:

Sound - Although it was more than up for the job in the main room, the outer arches were lacking somewhat in volume and even with the soundproofing, there was more than a little crossover when you were in the quieter arenas.

I missed Kev Energy and Sharkz!

Cracking evening out this one. I couldnt ask for anymore, especially as the price I paid to get in. Solid performances from the mainstays of the Hardcore scene, Impressive performances from the up and comings I saw and innovative one off sets which made the party all the more interesting. All that and I managed to miss a full 3 1/2 hours before I got there! I can only imagine what the start of the party was like, but on the basis of what I saw when I managed to get there, I know it would have only made a good party better.
Like I said, a nice event this one. With the status quo of the rave established, I know will be coming back for more when the next party is announced. The scene needs new promoters putting on new events at good value prices to keep the scene fresh. ExperiMENTAL is a good example of a promotion which is well thought out by hardworking promoters who are interested in keeping Hardcore on its toes. I'll see you at the next one.
astraboy.
Shouts to: Moonlight Sparrow, Moron, Nikki Enigma, The Born Hardcore crew (nice to meet you) Scott Devotion and Jelly Baby, Disrupta, Jutt Vapour and all the Brighton crew, Uplift, Desire, Mad Vic, Rob 26536, Saiira, Doc-E, Hayley, ChitChat, Cris-E-Manic, Mayhem Skampy, hektik, Mantra, Bubble, Ed-E Whizzkid, Storm, Sy, Gammer, and lastly to the promoters for a quality night out. Also, sorry for the long wait for the review, I've had a busy week.
Old 21 October 2004, 10:22 PM
andrewdelvard
Scooby Regular

Come on Raver get your picture posted
Old 21 October 2004, 10:30 PM
astraboy
Scooby Regular

alright then!
http://www.ush.net/gallery/index2.ht...e=img_3971.jpg
This was at Raindance though, but the above party was at the same venue