Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Saw a police car on my side of the road tonight pointing a camera will I get a ticket

Search this Thread

Old 18 October 2004, 09:44 PM
Aaquil
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down Saw a police car on my side of the road tonight pointing a camera will I get a ticket

Right guys I need some help I was driving my mother in law to the coach station in Manchester at about 9pm going along a main road as was doing just above the limit between 35-38 mph (Some toerag taxi driving was right on my tail) I came across a motorway police car parked down a side road and he seemed to be pointing a camera 'thingy' in my direction. He didn't follow or stop me am I going to get a speeding ticket, fine, points etc. or what?

Please help...

Aaquil.
Old 18 October 2004, 10:07 PM
Mice_Elf
Scooby Regular

Sounds more like ANPR....

What speed were you doing and in what limit?
Old 18 October 2004, 10:10 PM
Sith
Scooby Regular

Could be hand held speed detector and he was looking for people doing in-excess of your speed.

I've seen Police doing this and they move out into the road and pull you over.
Old 18 October 2004, 10:12 PM
mark_wrx666
Scooby Regular

you must be able to see the police from (i think) 500 yards away if they were hidden away ona side road and u did not see them until extremely close im sure they cannot prosicute you
Old 18 October 2004, 11:29 PM
Lum
Scooby Regular

Any idea what kind of device he had?
Was it a gun (or possibly bazooka) shaped thing that he could point fairly easilly with one hand, or was it an actual camera in a van or on a tripod or anything?

How many coppers where there?

If it's a gun type device then it is just a speed reading device, so you need to have two coppers as witnesses, and normally you would be chased and pulled straight away if they were unhappy with your speed.

If it's a camera then it's sufficient evidence on it's own and you'll get a NIP in the post.

Bear in mind that all speedos overread by up to 10% and the enforcement threshold for camera ofences is typically 35 in a 30. (meaning your speedo could, in theory, go up to 37.5 before you actually get done) If it's a laser gun and they have to give chase then chances are they'll be going for higher speeds as it's a lot of effort.
Old 19 October 2004, 12:05 AM
hedgehog
Scooby Regular

There are no requirements in law that you can see the police officer. There are some guidelines which are, by and large, ignored.

In general this is a money making scam and so the aim is to make the maximum income for the minimum investment. In these terms the majority of speed reading devices now have some form of photo/video gear connected to them. This means that police don't waste the time they could be spending photographing others chasing you.

So, there is a possibility that you could get an NIP in the post.
Old 19 October 2004, 08:43 PM
Aaquil
Scooby Regular

Thanks for all the replies guys. If I am going to be sent something how long maximum so I can start counting days?

Aaquil.
Old 19 October 2004, 08:48 PM
Paulo P
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If it's a gun or something manual then it normally turns up in a matter of days but then again how long is a piece of string?

I got caught by two officers stood on a bridge over the M4 a few years ago on a Sunday morning and the letter was in my hand by Tuesday morning They wanted to know who was driving etc and I was 25 mph over the limit but they never took it any further I don't know if I was lucky or the fact that I held my hands up and said it was me and put it back in the post that night first class but I count my blessings still
Old 20 October 2004, 08:35 PM
Aaquil
Scooby Regular

Thanks mate...