Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Internal Promotion Job Interview - What to wear?

Search this Thread

Old 10 October 2004, 06:12 PM
mad_dr
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Internal Promotion Job Interview - What to wear?

Afternoon! I'm after a bit of advice...

I currently work in a team of 7 for a Technology Company. 5 Engineers, me as deputy Team Leader and the Team Leader.

The whole team wears a uniform (dark trousers, dark shoes and Company branded Polo Shirt - pretty relaxed; shoes don't have to be shiny or black etc). The team leader has recently left the company and I have put myself forward for the job.

As deputy Team Leader, I have been put in charge of helping interview applicants - even though I've put myself forward for the position (conflict of interest?!) and most people have been wearing suits to the interviews.

I am due to be interviewed by my line manager (who is a director) and another director, next week and am unsure what to wear for the Interview. I currently see them almost everyday and they know what I wear to work and what the successful applicant will wear from day to day. The interview is likely to be held in the location where I work, so I'll be sat at my desk working, before and after the interview.

I'm tempted to wear a suit to show that I can be smart, but is this a little odd as it's an internal promotion and considering that I know full-well that my uniform will be the same? Personally I think that you wear a suit out of respect for the position and to show that you CAN look smart and that you have put effort into trying to get the job. I get on pretty well with the interviewers but don't want to ask them (obviously) and don't want them to laugh at me when I turn up in a suit

Also - would wearing a suit even though the job doesn't require one, give the impression that I'm attempting to become more than a Team Leader - IE too big for my boots - like a manager, rather than part of the team... Thoughts?

Cheers!
Old 10 October 2004, 06:15 PM
P1Fanatic
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by mad_dr
Afternoon! I'm after a bit of advice...

I currently work in a team of 7 for a Technology Company. 5 Engineers, me as deputy Team Leader and the Team Leader.

The whole team wears a uniform (dark trousers, dark shoes and Company branded Polo Shirt - pretty relaxed; shoes don't have to be shiny or black etc). The team leader has recently left the company and I have put myself forward for the job.

As deputy Team Leader, I have been put in charge of helping interview applicants - even though I've put myself forward for the position (conflict of interest?!) and most people have been wearing suits to the interviews.

I am due to be interviewed by my line manager (who is a director) and another director, next week and am unsure what to wear for the Interview. I currently see them almost everyday and they know what I wear to work and what the successful applicant will wear from day to day. The interview is likely to be held in the location where I work, so I'll be sat at my desk working, before and after the interview.

I'm tempted to wear a suit to show that I can be smart, but is this a little odd as it's an internal promotion and considering that I know full-well that my uniform will be the same? Personally I think that you wear a suit out of respect for the position and to show that you CAN look smart and that you have put effort into trying to get the job. I get on pretty well with the interviewers but don't want to ask them (obviously) and don't want them to laugh at me when I turn up in a suit

Also - would wearing a suit even though the job doesn't require one, give the impression that I'm attempting to become more than a Team Leader - IE too big for my boots - like a manager, rather than part of the team... Thoughts?

Cheers!
Shirt, trousers & tie as a minimum. Suit IMHO - makes it look like your making an effort. I was in the same position about 3 months ago and made the effort and I got the TL position.

Simon.
Old 10 October 2004, 07:11 PM
+Doc+
Scooby Senior

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts

Doesnt matter what you wear in your dayjob a suit is necessary for ANY interview, you are at the end of the day making an impression, the first thing they see will be what you are wearing and how you are groomed.
Good Luck.
Old 11 October 2004, 08:04 AM
philc
Scooby Regular

there's coincidence.

just been interviewing for the position of Technology Manager and the Network Assistant applied for the job.

He normally wears trousers, open-necked shirt .... etc and in fact saw him at his desk 30 mins prior to his interview in the usual rig.

Come the interview, in he walks in suit and tie.

My re-action? - the guy was making a real effort to get the role and was taking the interview process seriously.
Old 11 October 2004, 08:27 AM
mad_dr
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the replies guys: suit it is then!