Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Comparison - Britain now and 20 years ago...

Search this Thread

Old 08 October 2004, 01:22 PM
Senior_AP
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

People know my thoughts on this one already.
Old 08 October 2004, 01:23 PM
Brendan Hughes
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

"In 1984 we were glued to Hi Di Hi"

Old 08 October 2004, 01:26 PM
De Warrenne
Scooby Regular

Remember the fashion tho', black 'flecked' trousers, day glo socks, leg warmers for ladies (hang on, aren't these 'in' again now?), and the cars....cortina's, capri's, Mk1 Golfs? Hmmm, more and more attractive just need an RS2000 in there and i'd be happy
Old 08 October 2004, 01:28 PM
Brendan Hughes
Scooby Regular

Talking

Originally Posted by Senior_AP
People know my thoughts on this one already.
What, whether you prefer a 944 turbo or a Mothercare pram?
Old 08 October 2004, 01:29 PM
Senior_AP
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Brendan Hughes
What, whether you prefer a 944 turbo or a Mothercare pram?

Eh?
Old 08 October 2004, 01:29 PM
deano
Scooby Regular

Mid to late 80's = cheese.

Bros
Pete Waterman and his puppets
XR3i's

Oh dear.....
Old 08 October 2004, 01:33 PM
juicy1
Scooby Regular

It was better 20 years ago, not that i remember it exactly
Old 08 October 2004, 01:50 PM
Brendan Hughes
Scooby Regular

Pardon me Senior_AP, I thought I read somewhere that you were 24 years old.
Old 08 October 2004, 02:30 PM
Scoobychick
Scooby Regular

I was 21 in '84 We had no mobile phones, landline phones had cords, there were only 3 tv channels, no home pc's, no internet, no Playstation, no cd's, no dvd's, no video cameras, no digicams, no hair styling products except hairspray (I can remember using KY Jelly on my hair to spike it during my psychobilly phase ) but on the upside Curly Wurly's were much bigger
Old 08 October 2004, 02:39 PM
BexTait
Scooby Regular

Location: Drink, drink, wherever you may be, we are the drunk and disorderly (owner of 5 fairy tokens)

I can't remember much about 1984, having only lived to see the last month of it. Makes me feel old tho, soon I will no longer be a teenager Still I like some of the 80's music tho.
Old 08 October 2004, 02:39 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

The biggest difference was everyones set of values. People had a much more friendly attitude and used to think of others as well as themselves. They were polite as well, and children generally were well disciplined and respected the rules of society. There was much more honesty and there was very little of the "rip-off" society we see today. The drug culture was small and restricted compared with now.

Of course there was a criminal element just as today, but it was based more on thieving rather than the extreme violence that you can expect now if you stand up to them. Life was regarded as precious, other people's as well as your own, and you did not expect to be mugged and murdered for a little bit of cash. No one would dream of beating up elderly people as they often do today. Carjacking did not happen and cars were comparatively safe from thieves also. It was also safe to walk the streets late at night.

Thats a brief indication of life in general 20 odd years ago. Can you say we have made a better job of it since then?

Les
Old 08 October 2004, 02:47 PM
Senior_AP
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Leslie
The biggest difference was everyones set of values. People had a much more friendly attitude and used to think of others as well as themselves. They were polite as well, and children generally were well disciplined and respected the rules of society. There was much more honesty and there was very little of the "rip-off" society we see today. The drug culture was small and restricted compared with now.

Of course there was a criminal element just as today, but it was based more on thieving rather than the extreme violence that you can expect now if you stand up to them. Life was regarded as precious, other people's as well as your own, and you did not expect to be mugged and murdered for a little bit of cash. No one would dream of beating up elderly people as they often do today. Carjacking did not happen and cars were comparatively safe from thieves also. It was also safe to walk the streets late at night.

Thats a brief indication of life in general 20 odd years ago. Can you say we have made a better job of it since then?

Les
Yep.
Old 08 October 2004, 04:58 PM
Abdabz
Scooby Regular

Location: Tellins, Home of Super Leagues finest, and where a "split" is not all it seems.
Wink

In 1984 I was made to wear hand knitted school jumpers, was a virgin and had no source of income except handouts...
I like 2004 better, gotta do something about that virginity thing though
Old 08 October 2004, 05:03 PM
Ted Maul
Scooby Regular

and you could get pie and mash, and plenty of ale, and still had change from thruppence
Old 08 October 2004, 05:07 PM
_Meridian_
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Leslie

Where on earth were you living? For a start it was only a couple of years since Peter Sutcliff has been caught: it might have been safe for you, but sure as H*ll wasn't for any woman. Children did not behave: I didn't ten years earlier, and neither did any I know. Children have never behaved - it's their nature. That weight on the end of your nose is your extra-thick rose-tinted glasses I'm afraid...

M
Old 08 October 2004, 05:31 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Glad I didn't live in Cambridgeshire then!

Les
Old 08 October 2004, 07:59 PM
paulr
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

Except today you can think for yourselves,do what you want and be who you want to be.

Sometimes i look at my parents and feel they have been utterly betrayed by those in power,those with influence and those in authority.They spend their time doing "what they think they should be doing" instead of what they want to do.
The biggest thing though is,they dont know what they want to do because they've never been allowed to think.
Old 08 October 2004, 08:10 PM
Chip
Scooby Regular

80's were much better as were the 70's. Far too much PC stuff etc to worry about these days.

Chip.
Old 08 October 2004, 08:20 PM
Dazza01
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Back in 84, i was leaving school and starting to find my way in the big wide world, ie starting my first job nightmare but was great at the end of the 2nd week when i got my very first wage packet of £54
Didn't last long soon as the G/F got it, nappies, food, bills total bummer

But hey we have to start somewhere right
Old 08 October 2004, 08:21 PM
paulr
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

The point is,there's no point in looking back.You can never go there anyway.
Old 08 October 2004, 08:23 PM
Dazza01
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

True, but wouldn't it be good just to pop back and re-live a fav moment
Old 08 October 2004, 08:36 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

The 70's were better!

Labour government!

80's were Tory and an example of what greed can do to a country - thats what we are reaping now!

Pete
Old 08 October 2004, 08:44 PM
Pbr
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by scoobychick
I was 21 in '84 We had no mobile phones, landline phones had cords, there were only 3 tv channels
Channel 4 was launched in 1982....
Old 08 October 2004, 08:50 PM
_Meridian_
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by **************
I agree with Les. I know for one when I was at primary school no one knew swear words or used them, didn't learn them till after primary school ie 12 years onwards.
I'll admit that my upbringing verged on the unorthodox, but I wasn't the only kid who knew the f-word by the age of eight. Can I take that all you middle-class people were brought up proper?

M
Old 08 October 2004, 08:50 PM
mart360
Scooby Regular

Cool

Originally Posted by pslewis
The 70's were better!

Labour government!

80's were Tory and an example of what greed can do to a country - thats what we are reaping now!

Pete
just when the thread has a positive beat to it..

along comes 'pete the red'

yeah the seventys.. 3 day week, powercuts, binman strikes, no tv in the evening... pete if you want a nostalga trip mate, hang in there if the greasy ****** gets another term,!!!!!

Mart
Old 08 October 2004, 11:34 PM
Wheelman
Scooby Regular

I'm going to agree with Leslie too. May be it's an age thing (I'm 34 by the way) but I am sick of what I describe as the 21st century syndrome, namely.

Everyone is out for themselves ("I won't let you out in traffic, that would make me less of a person").
Everything is someone elses fault and they should be sued and made to pay for it ("I tripped over a printer cable I left on the floor myself at work, that must be my employer's fault/I ate a HOT McDonalds apple pie and burnt my mouth, that must be McDonalds fault").
Everything should be cheaper but still 'quality' ("I bought a set of non E marked Lexus style lights of ebay for £25 and they let the water in!!!")
Everything should be perfect, if it isn't just take it back and ask for a refund even if you have had best use from it (anyone taking clothes back in fashion stores on a Monday lunchtime having bought them on Friday lunchtime).

Flamesuit on.

By the way, 84 was THE year for music in my opinion (remember music is a personal thing!!!).
Old 09 October 2004, 12:11 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Meridian,

There are always exceptions to the rule, and reading your posts, you must be one of them.

PSL is right about the greed syndrome, certainly doing a lot of damage to the world in general now. Bit like buying up property from unlucky people who have been dispossesed and making lots of cash from other's misfortune.

Les

Quick Reply: Comparison - Britain now and 20 years ago...