Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Customs fees?

Search this Thread

Old 02 October 2004, 05:26 PM
stiscooby
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Customs fees?

I am thinking of ordering two items from the states. I will have them delivered to a friend in Florida who will then send them to me but what I would like to know is how much is added on when they come through customs, or how do they work it out etc?

There will be two items each costing about $400, just want to work out and see if it's worth getting them from abroad or just get them here?

Appreciate any info

Thanks
Old 02 October 2004, 06:40 PM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

Get your mate to label them up as tractor parts
Old 02 October 2004, 06:58 PM
hedgehog
Scooby Regular

If your mate sends them to you as a "gift" then they should attract no tax or duty.

If he sends them on to you and declares their value on the packaging then you will pay a fee to have the customs inspect the package (about £13 as I recall) plus you will pay VAT at the normal rate plus you will pay duty on the item. The rate of duty varies wildly from zero to several hundred percent but for most general items it is in the region of 2 - 5 percent.

Amazingly VAT and duty is paid on the cost of postage as well!!

So, as a very general guide if he isn't sending it as a gift (some wrapping paper and a card or a letter saying "i knew you always wanted one of these...." will help ease such a gift through customs.) then convert the $ price of the item plus postage to a £ value and add about 22% plus £13. That will be close for the majority of general items. If it is a $400 bottle of whiskey then duty may well be 400%.
Old 02 October 2004, 08:24 PM
stiscooby
Scooby Regular

Ah thanks for that info.

The items are actually 1/8th scale nitro trucks they work out about £130 each cheaper over in the states than what they are here.

I was just wondering what they would go up to if they went through customs, i.e. would it be worth it.

Found a few places that can ship them direct but guess if they came from a shop etc then they would probably get grabbed by customs? Might be better to speak to my friend nicely?
Old 02 October 2004, 09:31 PM
sillysi
Scooby Regular

This link will give you the details you are after http://europa.eu.int/comm/taxation_c...archap?Lang=EN

You will need to browse for the correct TARIC code which takes a while.
Old 02 October 2004, 10:36 PM
mad_dr
Scooby Regular

Here's a hypothetical situation...

I go to America to visit friends. Whilst I'm over there, I lend a load of my uk-purchased clothing to my friends and a few days later when I've returned home, I ask them to send them back to me.

Surely I should be expected to pay NOTHING for this privilige? Yet it seems that often, Customs slap a levy on EVERYTHING - whether it happens to belong to you or not!

B4stards!
Old 03 October 2004, 12:49 PM
Freak
Scooby Regular

10% of item value, plus 17.5% of the total on top of that
Dont send them Ups/fedex- they are the worst for customs charging and not getting away with it.
Old 03 October 2004, 05:33 PM
stiscooby
Scooby Regular

Yep we get ripped off for everything in this country!

I can't seem to pin point the TARIC code for the particular item I am looking at.

Say I pay $440 per item (i'm thinking of getting two of these things), which works out to about £253 each inc shipping, how much roughly would I be looking at overall once they clear customs etc?

These cost about £430 here, so as long as it a fair bit cheaper than that I don't mind.

Thanks for your help guys
Old 03 October 2004, 09:17 PM
sillysi
Scooby Regular

The closest TARIC code would be 9503809000, which is basically; scale model with a motor, made of materials other than just plastic. If this is correct then the duty rate is 12%.

So cost would be £253 + 12% = £283.36 +17.5% = £332.95.

I recently imported an Autoart model from the USA and the duty I paid seemed to be pretty close to the code I obtained from the TARIC website.

For a definitive answer you can ring Customs & Excise.

Also beware that you may be charged a "customs holding charge" by the courier. This was about £12.50 on my import.
Old 03 October 2004, 10:28 PM
stiscooby
Scooby Regular

Thanks Sillysi

I did eventually find that very same TARIC code. Didn't understand it much though as it said 4% + 12.

I didn't know what the "12" was about or the 4% come to that but your example was very helpfull, thanks.

Well it would still work out over £100 each cheaper than here in the UK so think might give it a go
Old 04 October 2004, 09:17 AM
2000TLondon
Scooby Regular

I get stuff shipped in fromthe states quite often, most gets through, over 80%, without customs checks or charges....

If it was me, I would have your friend send them seperately a few days apart, more postage, but you're unlilely to have to pay on both items this way.... And the gift idea works well.... And maybe lower the value a touch, too....
Old 04 October 2004, 11:05 AM
sillysi
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by stiscooby
Thanks Sillysi

I did eventually find that very same TARIC code. Didn't understand it much though as it said 4% + 12.

I didn't know what the "12" was about or the 4% come to that but your example was very helpfull, thanks.

Well it would still work out over £100 each cheaper than here in the UK so think might give it a go
Don't come looking for me if you get stung for more
Old 04 October 2004, 11:31 AM
pacenote
Scooby Regular

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
I order a fair bit of RC stuff from the States. The charges you pay can be a bit of a lottery, I usually find if package is not too large and ends up being delivered by local postie there is less chance of getting hit for charges. Any large packages and stuff sent express mail usually ends up with Parcelfarce and you are then sure to get customs charges, handling charges etc.
I think generally that the whole thing has been tightened up recently due to trading restrictions between EU and US but due to inflated prices of goods in UK it's still possible to make savings.
Old 04 October 2004, 07:25 PM
stiscooby
Scooby Regular

Sillysi - Don't worry I won't come looking for you................the lads will Na, seriously I appreciate your help.

Well the item will be quite big because it will be two 1/8th scale nitro trucks so I am guessing they will prob get caught by custom's I don't really want to hassle my friend to send them at different times etc, but one place I have found can gift wrap them for you and even put a message on so that might help when they hit customs?
Old 04 October 2004, 07:50 PM
Freak
Scooby Regular

Any large packages and stuff sent express mail usually ends up with Parcelfarce and you are then sure to get customs charges, handling charges etc.
Or...as parcel farce did last week, manage to confuse my GL2 (gloucester) postcode with G1 (glasgow), and send an express package up there.
So total journey time:
miami--> Uk
uk landing point--> me erm...so far5 days According to the online tracking, its now en route from glasgow back to the national hub.. I wait with baited breath.
On the upside, it got through customs with duty/vat charges, which saved me a few quid.I simply asked the seller to mark them gift, and mark their value down.
On the downer- i needed them for work on saturday night (new pair of headphones) so am a tad pissed off...