Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

41 in a 30 at 2:18 am!

Search this Thread

Old 30 September 2004, 05:31 PM
carl
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 41 in a 30 at 2:18 am!

My wife got Gatso'd at 02:18 doing 41 in a 30. It seems to me that this is an obvious example of how indiscriminate Gatsos are. If there was "real plod" there instead, I guess they would have either ignored it or advised her to slow down.

Not sure whether I should contest it or not. On the one hand, I reckon we'd probably get away with it (2am for God's sake!), on the other hand is it worth it for the sake of £60 and 3 points?

Thoughts?
Old 30 September 2004, 05:37 PM
Tiggs
Scooby Regular

unless they have introduced a new rule that says the law only applies when the suns out....you have no chance.
Old 30 September 2004, 05:42 PM
carl
Scooby Regular

Yes, but it's not an unreasonable speed at 2:18 in the morning. It's a big wide road out of Cambridge (only single-carriageway, but wide enough for 4 cars -- actually it's the A1307 Hills Road).
Old 30 September 2004, 05:47 PM
Tiggs
Scooby Regular

it is unreasonable though....the law says the limit is 30...thats it. there is no room for ifs or buts....if you get off this i'll eat my hat.

T
Old 30 September 2004, 05:52 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

Somehow I don't think you'll get away with it. If you wish to contest it. go for it, but it's not going to happen. Regardless of the time, an offence was still being comitted.

Yeah, i'd probably have being doing 40 through the camera at that time, but I'd put my hands up and say I should have known better, as I was breaking the law.
Old 30 September 2004, 05:56 PM
Abdabz
Scooby Regular

Location: Tellins, Home of Super Leagues finest, and where a "split" is not all it seems.

And had the drunk staggered out in front of your missus and beeen hit at 40 his chances of survival would have been higher than if she'd hit him at 30 thanks to the power of the moon?
No chance of getting off at all - unless there was no film in the camera!!
Old 30 September 2004, 05:57 PM
carl
Scooby Regular

Ah well. I'll ask for the photographic evidence anyway.

On the same day, her MD got a ticket for running a red light. He was getting out of the way of an ambulance. You can see the ambulance in the photo!

Trending Topics

Old 30 September 2004, 06:02 PM
mj
Scooby Regular

Go for it carl, you've got 2 chances..

...and Slim's just left town LOL
Old 30 September 2004, 06:21 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Does it cost more if you try to get off it and fail?

Les
Old 30 September 2004, 06:26 PM
Cider boy
Scooby Regular

My brother got done for 46 in 30 at 2ish am, a set of roadworks where the 30 limit was obviously intended for rush hour traffic! Was on the A1, dual carriageway, nothing on the road at all, wetaher was clear and dry.

He wrote back after getting the NIP and explained how stupid he thought it was, they agreed (in princple ) and he got the fine but no points!!! I couldn't believe it at the time - but his (clean) license is living proof!!

Go for it, nothing to lose!

Matt
Old 30 September 2004, 07:02 PM
Dracoro
Scooby Regular

So is your problem the speed limit at 2am or being caught breaking the law?

Her MD should get off if he pursues the matter. However, it's not unusual for people to still get done. However, it's a better situation than holding up an ambulance which could result in someone dying due to the paramedics being delayed by someone more concerned about 3 points and £60.
Old 30 September 2004, 07:32 PM
Adrian F
Scooby Regular

No way they will let you off they want there £60 Tax.

As to the policy well that wont change till the Politicians realise that there is votes in it and people like Transport2000 and Brake are not the only pressure groups allowed to appear on BBC News.

as to the ambulance and red light i hope he gets let off but if he doesnt then again we will know that the £60 in their pocket means more than saving a life. sadly this is already the case in london where London Ambulance service is on record as saying the Speed bumps in London kill 500 people a year! more than speeding kills in the whole country.
Old 30 September 2004, 07:43 PM
SiDHEaD
Scooby Regular

Contest it and cause them costs for admin Don't let the get an easy £60! There may be some silly reason anyway. Are more than 1 person insured to drive?? etc etc
Old 30 September 2004, 08:04 PM
johnfelstead
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 53 Likes on 30 Posts

contest it saying you were not doing 41MPH. 11MPH is the least they can do you for over the limit on a gatso, so if its marginal on the photo evidence (say you were really doing 40.5MPH) they will drop the charges.
Old 30 September 2004, 08:09 PM
Suresh
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default no barn dance

I don't think you'll get away with it myself , even though the law is obviously an *** in this case. I got flashed a few months back on the motorway doing 128kmh in a 120kmh zone at 1030 at night on a completely clear road. So only 5mph over and no I didn't contest it.

Suresh
Old 30 September 2004, 08:39 PM
papascooby
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I can't beleive she'll get away with it. And i'm stunned to hear someone getting away without points for 46! That's over 50% over the speed limit - the equivalent of doing over a ton on the motorway.

Still she might be lucky and get to go on a speed awareness course like I did no points
Old 30 September 2004, 08:54 PM
Cider boy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by papascooby
I can't beleive she'll get away with it. And i'm stunned to hear someone getting away without points for 46! That's over 50% over the speed limit - the equivalent of doing over a ton on the motorway.
But the usual posted limit for the stretch of dual would be 70 - the 30 was there to protect the workforce & nearby exit ramp, niether of which were applicable at 2am!!

I was still amazed he got away with it though, and it just shows that it's worth a try

Matt
Old 30 September 2004, 08:58 PM
carl
Scooby Regular

TBH we'll probably just stump up. But, of course, that's what they're banking on. I'll ask for the photo evidence then make a decision.
Old 30 September 2004, 09:11 PM
ajm
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by carl
On the same day, her MD got a ticket for running a red light. He was getting out of the way of an ambulance. You can see the ambulance in the photo!
Is he contesting that? The outcome of that one could cost lives if it is upheld!!!
Old 30 September 2004, 10:02 PM
carl
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ajm
Is he contesting that? The outcome of that one could cost lives if it is upheld!!!
I guess so, although he's actually in hospital at the moment so may end up not contesting it.
Old 30 September 2004, 10:38 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Don't tell us ...... the ambulance was attending HIM as he ran a red light and got into a collision?! the ambulance in the photo has its back doors open and the MD is on the trolley?!

Just pay up the speeding fine and don't speed again - WHATEVER time it is!

Pete
Old 30 September 2004, 10:50 PM
ben1413
Scooby Regular

I think that the main thing is not to speed in the first place. I'm a fine one to talk having my license revoked for getting more than six points in the first year if driving (72mph in a 30!) Following on from that got caught twice more and banned. That was four years ago now and I'm still paying for it insurance wise. There are places where you can put your foot down for a bit, country lanes, slip roads etc or start going to track days. I'm a Firefighter now and see some pretty sick things which also helps me not to speed.

In consolation, I know a chap you got 3 points and £60 fine for doing 34mph in a 30!
Old 30 September 2004, 11:34 PM
hedgehog
Scooby Regular

There are a number of successful defences and in this situation if she hasn't returned the NIP then I would suggest that she lets it run the full 28 days (28 days less with points on her licence anyhow) and gets over to www.pepipoo.com. In the judicial process forum there is a nice letter she can send her local Chief Constable contesting the legality of the NIP. The NIP has been declared illegal under EU law.

If the CC choses to ignore her letter and proceed with the process then her letter will not have any negative effect on her case or position but it will open the possibility of her becoming part of the coming class action to claim back fines, expenses and the like once the EU position is clarified.

If she wants to go another route then it would be worth getting a solicitor with experience of motoring law, not just a general solicitor. It is likely that she can get a defence with a good chance of success but it must be said that a good solicitor will not be inexpensive. However, you can offset the cost against increased insurance etc.
Old 30 September 2004, 11:50 PM
Greeny01
Scooby Regular

She's had it! Yes speed camera's suck but she was speeding end of story.

Iain