Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

What's Cyprus like?

Search this Thread

Old 30 September 2004, 10:19 AM
mj
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What's Cyprus like?

I have heard pafos is quite good, anyone been?

Went to lanzagrotty last year, never again.

just for a week around mid november.

cheers,

mike.
Old 30 September 2004, 10:34 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Lovely island and Paphos is a good spot. Nice to eat at the open air restaurants on the sea front, but watch out for the pelican! Great beaches on the south coast and the food and wine are excellent. Try the full Kebab or Mese meals, its not expensive usually with free wine thrown in. Hire a car and see Mt Olympus and Limassol for shopping etc. Don't forget to try the Brandy Sours with Keo Brandy-outstanding.

Enjoy.

Les
Old 30 September 2004, 10:41 AM
TelBoy
Scooby Regular

Wink

Hot.

Next?
Old 30 September 2004, 10:55 AM
mj
Scooby Regular

is pafos pretty much chav free? - what is the town like itself?

I'd prefer somewhere that didn't have gangs of lads or slags, but not full of coffin dodgers either.
Old 30 September 2004, 11:00 AM
ian_sadler
Scooby Regular

Great place just avoid Ia Nappa (sp?)
Old 30 September 2004, 11:10 AM
wacky.banana
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by mj
is pafos pretty much chav free? - what is the town like itself?

I'd prefer somewhere that didn't have gangs of lads or slags, but not full of coffin dodgers either.
Yes Pafos is Chav free and very nice. Just come back from there for the 4th time! Definitely recommend it. Be aware though its very hot in August, circa 41c.
Old 30 September 2004, 11:19 AM
Dazza01
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

my sister has just brought an appt in Cyprus somewhere so were hoping now for cheapy jolly days

Trending Topics

Old 30 September 2004, 11:28 AM
stevehulluk1
Scooby Regular

went to protaras, cyprus last year wife & me, best holiday ever. went to benidorm this year never again. made a pact never to go anywhere again except protaras, cyprus & stinking hot
Old 30 September 2004, 11:30 AM
Daz34
Scooby Regular

If you do scuba diving, the Zenobia is one of the best, if not the best dive in the Med
Old 30 September 2004, 11:51 AM
Coopz
Scooby Regular

Been to both Paphos and Protaras - Protaras is nicer, smaller with a fantastic beach close by (Fig Tree Bay) about a 10 min walk from the far end of the resort. People are very friendly and the place is spotless. We were there this summer when they won the footi and they sure know how to throw a good party!
Old 30 September 2004, 11:58 AM
mj
Scooby Regular

cheers people, looking good - keep em' coming
Old 30 September 2004, 12:02 PM
Jerome
Scooby Regular

Not desperately impressed with Cyprus, personally.

Ayia Napa is awful and Limassol and Larnaca weren't much better. Ayia Napa was Full of dance nightclubs - great for one night, but pretty wearing for a week or more. Normal scenes of Brits on the P1ss everywhere in all three towns. Drug ridiculously easy to get hold of. Don't act like a squaddie in Ayia Napa or you'll get hassled by RMP's - AN centre is out of bounds to soldiers.

Stray off the beaten track and the place is one big rubbish bin - literally. They can't be arsed to get rid of rubbish properly, so they just chuck it in the countryside. Nicosia was moderately interesting to see the border and the Green Lane.
Old 30 September 2004, 12:06 PM
stevehulluk1
Scooby Regular

you should have gone to protaras mate
Old 30 September 2004, 12:37 PM
the_boy
Scooby Regular

My Mum lives in Cyprus so I go over about twice a year, what do you want to know?

Mid-November it's starting to get cool (that's cool by Cypriot standards) so usually low 20s.

Can't speak for Napa as I've only been once but Paphos is nice. There's more to see and do in the area. There's a waterpark (not the biggest on the island), racing track, aquarium, snake zoo blah blah blah

The main strip will probably be quiet by November and you may find a couple of the clubs have closed. Can recommend Hollywood, Bubbles and the Robin Hood bar. Not chavy and you still get quite a bit of nice totty about.
Like I said some of the clubs may be closed, Starsksys gets busy during the summer and you can get hold of some cool t-shirts from here for £5

The main area is Kato-Paphos (by the harbour), lots of shops selling the usual tat including pirate games / CDs and DVDs.

If you're on the outskirts (but on the main through road) I can recommend the following pub:

Pitstop - shows nearly all the football (has quiz, live music certain nights) and the drink is still cheap

For food there is only one and it's the best by far...

Fat Mammas (not sure about November but there are usually queues by about 8)

Cyprus is a lot more expensive than it used to be. You'll find the price of a pint can be around £3, it's not that the cost of ingredients has gone up etc it's just that foreigners are willing to pay these prices so that's what they charge. If you go to the supermarket ie. Chris's cash and Carry you can pick up 12 large bottles of Keo for £6.

Need any more info let me know....

Last edited by the_boy; 30 September 2004 at 12:40 PM.
Old 30 September 2004, 12:46 PM
mj
Scooby Regular

cheers mate, I have just spoken to the boss and she tells me her holidays can be mid october, so it should be a bit warmer.

any ideas where to look for a nice appartment/villa? I can sort flights and a hire a car from the airport, never ben a big fan of package hols.

cheers.
Old 30 September 2004, 12:51 PM
Paulo P
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I love it I've been twice now and that's where we are going for our honeymoon next year.

I like staying in Limassol because it's got a good balance of not being too quiet or too loud and you have a choice. I also like the fact that you are in the middle of the bottom of the island so you are pretty much central for everywhere on the island and everywhere is very easy to get to
Old 30 September 2004, 01:11 PM
King RA
BANNED

YoungCypriot people do not like young English people.

Wouldn't go there again because of this.
Old 30 September 2004, 01:13 PM
Scoob99
Scooby Regular

Don't knock Ayia Napa it's brilliant, mind you our hotel was far enough away from the main square but close enough to walk in if you know what I mean, Great people great place and can be very hot, plenty of Scoobs in Ayia Napa too, My boys went too party we went to chill superb place Would go there all the time.
Cheers
Colin
Old 30 September 2004, 03:02 PM
Bubba po
Scooby Regular

Geologically speaking it is a fantastic example of oceanic crust thrust upwards to show the structure. Ultrabasic rocks that make up the mantle are at the base of the sequence; these are overlain by sheeted dyke complexes; above these are pillow-lavas, indicating where the lava was erupted under the water, and over all, massive deposits of insoluble metal oxides and sulphides- which are the basis of Cyprus's wealth in metal ores.

Old 30 September 2004, 03:08 PM
mj
Scooby Regular

dyke complexes
now your talking,do you think "her indoors" will like it?

Last edited by mj; 30 September 2004 at 03:13 PM.
Old 30 September 2004, 03:13 PM
aurora
Scooby Regular

Shame it's full of sneaky russian mafia types
Old 30 September 2004, 03:18 PM
gregjd
Scooby Regular

Going there myself in a couple of weeks as my Outlaws have an apartment. It's a nice island. Would agree with the comment that Limassol has a decent mix of bars/restaurants/shops and is well placed. Worth hiring a car to travel around. They drive on the left which is one less thing to worry about, although they do largely drive like muppets too

Off topic for the original post but do try and go when the WRC is in town.. The Cyprus Rally is a great event and it's much easier to get up close to the stages and teams (blagged my way into the after-rally party one year and chatted to the drivers) than is the case in most places.
Old 30 September 2004, 03:22 PM
Dream Weaver
Scooby Regular

Whats wrong with Lanzarote? Been there twice now, its superb!!

Protaras is quiet, Ayia Napa pretty good, and not as rough as you'd think.

Tsokkos Gardens in Protaras is nice.
Old 30 September 2004, 03:25 PM
Jerome
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by King RA
YoungCypriot people do not like young English people.

Wouldn't go there again because of this.
Ah yes, I'd forgotten about this. The whole island feels like it is a coiled spring, with the hatred between the Greeks and Turks, and the real dislike of the British.

They have some justification for disliking the British.

Firstly there are the 2 huge Sovereign Base Areas which are under British sovereignty - enough on it's own to create bad feeling. Also, these both house thousands of British service personel. Many servicemen/women are pretty good at alienating the local populace. This is without drunken squaddies raping and murdering a tourist.

Secondly, it is a popular destination for lager louts and loutettes. Not exactly the kind of people who are likely to endear themselves to the locals. Furthermore, many of these tourists are also druggies (especially ecstacy), which brings many drug dealers in.
Old 30 September 2004, 03:42 PM
vindaloo
Scooby Regular

Thought the mountain(s) were the Troodos mountains (sp), not Olympus. Might be wrong.

Can't really argue that the squaddies alienate people. They refer to the locals as 'gollies'. Having written that, the bases generate an awful lot of trade all year round.

J.
Old 30 September 2004, 03:42 PM
the_boy
Scooby Regular

Nonsense............

I've been loads of times and have yet to see any proper aggro. The only time I saw anything was in Napa Square when several rather large black guys were putting their weight about.

If you stay in Paphos / Protaras / Limmasol you won't see any of the Greek - Turk issue. Not that it's much of an issue since the borders were taken down.

As for Cypriots disliking the English that's simply not true. They love the English cos they spend lots of money and a lot of the younger kids are educated in the UK. The only thing they don't like is you chatting up their women. That's the only thing you need to be careful about.

Can also concur about the driving. If you do get a hire car be alert at all times and expect the unexpected. This also goes for zebra crossings if you're not behind the wheel. They won't stop half the time.
Old 30 September 2004, 03:44 PM
the_boy
Scooby Regular

Mountains are called Troodos.
Old 30 September 2004, 05:32 PM
Taff107
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by the_boy

As for Cypriots disliking the English that's simply not true. They love the English cos they spend lots of money and a lot of the younger kids are educated in the UK. The only thing they don't like is you chatting up their women. That's the only thing you need to be careful about.
You are wrong - I lived there for two years and I assure you, the younger Cyps dislike British. Walk into the Cyp bars down the Galatex in Limassol and you'll be lucky to only get them staring at you.

...and there is a Mt Olympus in the Troodos Mountains

Last edited by Taff107; 30 September 2004 at 05:35 PM.
Old 30 September 2004, 06:49 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

I used to fly into Akrotiri on RAF duty quite often. We never had any ill feeling from the locals who were all extremely friendly. Maybe they do get fed up with drunken squaddies and British chavs but who can blame them for that. If you behave yourself, then you won't have any problems at all. The Turkish/Greek problem does not show that much under normal circumstances. When I used to go there before the Turkish takeover, Greeks and Turks used to live in the same villages and were good friends to one another.

yes there is a Mount Olympus in the Troodos mountain range.

Les
Old 30 September 2004, 07:02 PM
FASTER MIKE!!
Scooby Regular

well i went nappa at the end of june and loved it never saw any bother thought the resort was very clean. some of the bars were excellent most are theamed titanic, bedrock, castle etc. if you like beaches then try nissi(sp) though its very bussy. and the best bit about nappa is it FULL of scandinavians the pool that we used was in a scandinavian holtel and it was like heaven

mike