Search this Thread

Old 28 September 2004, 09:22 PM
In the ring of fire
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Tv ?

Looking to get a new Tv

And have some options

Would really like a Plasma would look wicked in my Living Room as theres plenty of space for it

Do i go for a Smaller LCD

Or

Conventional Widescreen say 36"

What have you have got & what do you rate ?

Thanks for your help

ItRoF
Old 28 September 2004, 09:30 PM
papascooby
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

get a CRT 36" now (wilth some kind of fancy doubling of pixels/lines).

Then wait for HDTV (rumoured to be just around the corner - 6 months(ish) - after they said never for years!)

5 years time you'll get a nice 50" HD LCD for under £2k.

check out www.avforum.com, they'll tell u what the one of choice is at the moment. Panny was the one to get 6-12 months ago.
Old 29 September 2004, 07:25 AM
r32
Scooby Regular

Talking

I wanted a new TV and really looked into it in some depth. Dont buy a 36" conventional TV, they have good picture etc but are so huge its untrue. My local TV shop said they dont do them any more as if they stick to health and safety rules he has to send three people to instal them, and two if it needs a service or any work. Plus they take up a quarter of your living room. They also (according to the various forums I went on for advice) are not all that reliable at that size.
So I bought a 37" Panasonic plasma, and its just awesome, love it to bits. Get a sky + box so you get quality signals. The very latest looks even better. No trouble with it so far and amazing sound and vision. Cannot recommend it high enough, but more initially than a CRT.
STEVE................
Old 29 September 2004, 08:14 AM
dtriggs
Scooby Regular

I went in to buy a Plasma and came out with a 36" CRT - The salesman was dead against me spending the extra on a Plasma due to upcoming advances. But that was a year ago and since then the Panasonic Plasma looks great and I think I would have gone for it. I spent £1200 rather than £2500-3000 on the Plasma route on the basis that when I go for plasma in 3 years and spend £1500 the total outlay would be the same and I would get better equipment. Not sure I did the right thing now. But with HDTV round the corner....
Old 08 October 2004, 08:53 PM
hugo
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by In the ring of fire
Looking to get a new Tv

And have some options

Would really like a Plasma would look wicked in my Living Room as theres plenty of space for it

Do i go for a Smaller LCD

Or

Conventional Widescreen say 36"

What have you have got & what do you rate ?

Thanks for your help

ItRoF
Try to get a TV that costs £100 less than you originally intended to spend. That way you will be able to give me the £100 you owe me!
Old 08 October 2004, 09:02 PM
Dracoro
Scooby Regular

I went in to buy a Plasma and came out with a 36" CRT - The salesman was dead against me spending the extra on a Plasma due to upcoming advances.
In other words, he managed to finally shift that ol' dusty CRT for a larger profit margin than he could on the plasma
Old 08 October 2004, 09:10 PM
scoobyjimbo
Scooby Regular

Great minds think alike.. I was just going to post a similar thread to this but you beat me to it.. sorry to hikack.. I am after a new plasma for my new gaf. Got a 36inc JVC CRT at the moment, but the time has come to make the plasma move (or LCD??). The new house has a huge lounge so i think the plasma is going to have to be at least 42inch.. any one got any suggestions. I have looked at both the latest 42inch panasonic which was the kiddy a few months back and the toshiba,, unless anyone else has a suggestion.

So opinions please... Also not sure where best to place it i.e. on the wall or a stand.. anyone shed any light on best position etc..

thanks
J
Old 08 October 2004, 09:50 PM
paulr
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

I had a chat with the tv repair guy that came round to fix my vcr last week.

1.Plasma'a still use about 300w of power.
2.He reckons LCD's just dont cut it.
3.Wait for HDTV,its just around the corner
4.He also reckons VCR's are nowhere near as good as they used to be.Now they dont incorporate as many filters/tracking devices etc which all add up to making the picture better.They may be cheap but the quality is way down.

He was at a trade fair last month and he saw a 62" HDTV screen which blew him away.