Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

IF YOU HAD THE POWER TO CHANGE...........

Search this Thread

Old 28 September 2004, 06:58 AM
bluenosewrx
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking IF YOU HAD THE POWER TO CHANGE...........

If you had the power to change the speeding fine and points , what would you change it to????.

What about £1 for every mile you are over the limit(i would have it at 100 on the motorway anyway).
and more severe penalties for speeding in towns,schools etc.

your thoughts gents.

Mac.
Old 28 September 2004, 08:39 AM
Dracoro
Scooby Regular

What's the goal here?

Fines £100 per mph over with 3 points and extra point per 5mph over.

Soon stop people speeding. Yup, I know all the drawbacks but punishments for crimes are meant to stop people doing it in future aren't they???

I have more of an issue with certain speed limits rather than the punishment for them.
Old 28 September 2004, 08:55 AM
Tiggs
Scooby Regular

"(i would have it at 100 on the motorway anyway)"

simply to fast, there are to many cars with to many ****e drivers to allow everyone to do 100 mph. 80mph is prob the limit.....which it already is in effect.
Old 28 September 2004, 09:18 AM
fast bloke
Scooby Regular

set realistic speed limits. do an extra test to use motorways and set a minimum speed as well as a max. Get all the speed limits right and then instant ban for anyone caught speeding and instant lifetime ban for anyone caught doing less than 70 on the motorway....... hey that won't work - there is no facility to fleece motorists there
Old 28 September 2004, 09:19 AM
Brendan Hughes
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Bring in car crushing.

Sometimes with the driver still in it.
Old 28 September 2004, 09:58 AM
CrisPDuk
Scooby Regular

Firstly, I'd change the structure of driving lessons & the test.
A: to accomodate the fact that most people aren't driving Austin Sevens.
B: to allow for the fact that the ability to drive on busy roads with respect for others is far more important than being able to drive round a quiet housing estate and reverse round corners.

THEN, we'd be able to have sensible speed limits, i.e: 100mph on motorways, 80mph on dual carriagways and wide open A roads.

In conjunction with that, as D Hutton said, you would get points only for speeding in those areas, but make six points and a £200 fine for speeding in 30mph zones, like built up areas, past schools, etc.

The only problem with this solution is that it requires the application of hefty doses of fairness & common sense, something notably lacking in the Brundstroms and Blunketts of this world That pair of incompetent glory chasers would make the motorways 30mph zones on the grounds of safety, then put tax machines every mile

Trending Topics

Old 28 September 2004, 10:02 AM
Reffro
Scooby Regular

£25 per mph over the limit, and 2 points on the licence for offences upto 15mph over posted limit. £30 per mph over limit and 3 points for 15-30mph over posted limit. £30 per mph over limit and 6 points for offences 30+mph over limit. And prosecution for dangerous driving for really stupid speeds.

This way the occasional speeder will still have to run up 6 offences before a ban, but will be hit were they feel it most, in the pocket, but still keep their licence.
Old 28 September 2004, 10:06 AM
Tiggs
Scooby Regular

"THEN, we'd be able to have sensible speed limits, i.e: 100mph on motorways"

but this is where the debate falls appart....joe bloggs will NEVER except that 100mph is ok on motorways......and they are right. Find a busy m.way.....do 100mph then imagine everyone is doing it, i dont mean the oddd occasion when you find the flow of traffic is arround 95 (bear in mind thats only 88 in real money) i mean EVERYONE is doing a true 100mph......thats prob getting near 110mph on your speedo.......its simply too fast for this country with its little motorways.

the "cars are better now though" theory doesnt work either because when cars first did 100mph they were the only ones on the road! we migh be able to stop quicker now but theres millions more cars.
Old 28 September 2004, 10:08 AM
Brendan Hughes
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

BTW, how about the Finnish system of fines as a proportion of your income? Remember the Nokia guy with the two million euro speeding fine?
Old 28 September 2004, 10:08 AM
Chris L
Scooby Regular

Arrow

Keep the same system (with a decent increase for motorways - let's face it, the 70 mph limit was brought in when most cars would struggle to do 50), lose the cameras and reinstate the budget for traffic cops - most forces have seen their budget for traffic divisions cut from about 15% of total income to around 5%. This has meant a significant drop in the number of traffic cops and mobile units. This is one of the primary reasons for the growth in speed cameras. Effective policing is better done by humans than cameras!