Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Radar detector....which is the best to buy?

Search this Thread

Old 21 September 2004, 01:26 PM
WH03JAM
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Radar detector....which is the best to buy?

After spending all weekend trying to keep within the speed limit due to all the speed cameras in place around the area, Ive decided to wisely invest in a radar detector....but i dont know which one to get.

As i understand it need to "read" X, K, KA, and KU bands, which i believe will cover almost all in use over here.

Can anyone advise me on anything else it needs or on an exact make/model to buy

Thanks in advance
Old 21 September 2004, 01:35 PM
ZAZ
Scooby Regular

Get a detector which is designed for UK use, the US use different frequencies. Best I believe is the Vanentine 1 and the Bel550 is good (that's what I've got). These only detector Radar and Laser so won't pick up Truvelo and Specs type cameras so you may be better off looking at a GPS or Radar/GPS system such as Road Angel or Morpheus. Have a look around and read a few reviews and I'm sure others will give their opinions on here!
Old 21 September 2004, 01:36 PM
WR-one
Scooby Regular

I picked up a new Snooper S5R plus for £170 at Costco - seems to work well and was a bargain.
Old 21 September 2004, 02:07 PM
scoobimax
Scooby Regular

You just missed a group buy on the Road Angel 2. Great piece of kit - try this link to find out more on the product Road Angel and look in Group Buys for the thread on the GB that has just finished.

Max
Old 21 September 2004, 03:35 PM
Adam M
Scooby Regular

buy a vector 995 from ebay fopr £150. Vector is what bel are called in the US.

This is specced for the states but the frequencies it covers are identical to the UK and it has all the features of the euro 550 but a half the price because it is not a rip off britain product.

It has more recent advances in dsp circuitry, and having bought one for my sister I can confirm it really is a fantastic piece of kit and far far better value than buying it from the uk.

I intend to buy one and disable X and K band so that what few false alarms I would get will be switched off. This will then work in parallel with my origin B2 which having researched it is the best gps locator for my purposes.

The vector (bell) is there to handle the mobile cameras (Ku band) that the gps cannot pick up.

When I am feeling really rich I shall be purchasing a target LT450 system to go with it, giving me the best all round protection there is.
Old 21 September 2004, 04:36 PM
phil-mcc
Scooby Regular

Costco will be doing the S4 Neo which does Laser & GPS for 235 inc Vat between 4th & 10th October, normal price is 240 plus vat, they also do the S6-r for a good price, can't remember what it was

Phil Mc
Old 21 September 2004, 05:51 PM
jk100
Scooby Regular

Personally I'd get a GPS based detector.

The main threat now is from the use of camera vans (laser) which detectors will pick up, but only after it's too late, and so nothing really works effectively against them, except laser diffusers of course and there's much opinion on whether these actually work.
Old 21 September 2004, 06:02 PM
mattsan
Scooby Regular

Get the snooper s4neo(360 degree laser detector) and the s6rld.I had the s6 before and the s4neo is far better, you dont get the anoying false alerts with the s4neo.
Old 21 September 2004, 06:15 PM
salsa-king
Scooby Senior

Received 42 Likes on 26 Posts

go for the Origin B2
talk to Jay offf here.. www.alpha-telecom.com for very good deals!!!

you'll get a radar detector.. but you will want one taht picks up Truevelo's.. but R/D's don't pick them up... a B2 would!!

I have a Bel Europa STi detectore... AND a Origin B2 as well. just to be on the safe side lol
Old 21 September 2004, 07:11 PM
Petem95
Scooby Regular

Im going to have to invest in a radar detector - I do a lot of driving and Ive seen a huge increase in the number of mobile revenue cameras about recently

Saw one today and the van was hidden behind some trees, and the camera was in a little tiny black box next to the road - no way of seeing it in advance - *****

Do the Snooper SR5's and Vector 995's detect "safety" camera vans??
Old 22 September 2004, 12:09 PM
jk100
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

I don't believe that any radar/laser detector can protect against "safety" camera vans....

As I understand it, these all work by laser. By the time your device has warned you and you have reacted by slowing down, they will already have recorded your speed in a split second.

Given fixed speed cameras are now brightly coloured, and you'll now see them before your radar detector activates, I personally think radar detectors are now useless.