Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Is it possible to trace a partial number plate to a car?

Search this Thread

Old 21 September 2004, 01:04 PM
RS2 JIM
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is it possible to trace a partial number plate to a car?

I ask because my girlfriends mother has just had her car crashed into by a hit and run driver. The car, a silver Audi A3, drove off before she could get any of it's details but a passing lorry driver got the number plate... or so he thought. It seems that he might have got a digit wrong so the police are now telling my g/f's mother that the car is untraceable without a full Reg no!!

Surely this can't be right?

Is there a way i can check the partial number against any silver audi a3's in my area?

I would then go to the police with the info......not carry out any personal vendetta.....well i'd like to think i'd do the right thing anyway!

Cheers

James
Old 21 September 2004, 01:09 PM
Jap2Scrap
Scooby Regular

Erm.. The only free thing you can do is start filling out online insurance quote requests trying altering a digit at a time until you hit the combination that brings up an Audi A3 as the car you're trying to insure..

You get what I mean?

Then at least you'd have the full Reg No. to give the old bill..
Old 21 September 2004, 01:14 PM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

Been there before under slightly different circumstances. Then saw the car again a few days later. Rang the Police to tell them that I had seen the car again and that it was actally X rather Y (or whatever) and they were less than interested. Becuase I had got it wrong the first time, they seemed to be implying that it would not be credible as evidence, especially after changing my statement to a different (even if correct) number plate.

Now it could just have been the jobsworth behind the desk, but it didn't inspire me confidence.
Old 21 September 2004, 01:14 PM
speedking
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb RAC

Insurance quotes won't normally specify the colour. Narrow it down further by using the RAC vehicle check, free registration required. This includes colour in the supplied details.

However garages often register blocks of registrations so it will be difficult, with only one digit out, to be anything like certain that you have the correct reg.
Old 21 September 2004, 01:20 PM
RS2 JIM
Scooby Regular

Thanks for all the replies so far.
I'm sure the police could do a little more to trace it as they usually manage to trace a car on crimewatch using just three letters etc.
It's annoying too as the accident happened at one of the busiest junctions in the city and somehow not one camera caught it! unbelieveable.....you could be pretty certain that the same camera system would catch me using the buslane though!

I'll see if i can have a word with the police myself and see if asking the 'right' sort of questions helps.

Cheers

James
Old 21 September 2004, 01:40 PM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

Tell the Police he was speeding - that may get them interested!!
Old 21 September 2004, 01:43 PM
RS2 JIM
Scooby Regular

Well seemingly he jumped a red light to escape the scene of the accident so surely there will be some interest from the police's point of view.
I really do hope they also review the CCTV tapes from that time of day as this is a busy town centre with loads of cameras so surely the car will appear on it!

Fingers crossed.

James
Old 21 September 2004, 01:47 PM
Albert47
Scooby Regular

Tell them, it was a whilte male, 6ft tall. never broke a single law in his life nor did any of his family for the past 100 generations. The must law abiding citizen in the whole country. Then they will be interested to try and stitch some thing on him!!

Albert
Old 21 September 2004, 02:31 PM
suprabeast
Scooby Regular

haha how true is that!
Old 21 September 2004, 05:10 PM
JoeyDeacon
Scooby Regular

[QUOTE=speedking]Insurance quotes won't normally specify the colour. Narrow it down further by using the RAC vehicle check, free registration required. This includes colour in the supplied details.
QUOTE]

when this service first appeared I looked up the details for my old Impreza and found them straight away. Now when I do a search on this plate nothing appears so does this mean the car has since been written off?

The only reason I ask if it has been written off is that several of my old (i.e C/D reg) cars don't appear on there at all.
Old 21 September 2004, 05:24 PM
Vilma
Scooby Newbie

It sounds to me more like they can't be bothered. I work for the Police and have done thousands of partial index checks. How much of the partial index did you get? It can also be done without and index through make and model, although this is a hugh search and can take day's to get a responce then interpret the information. We use this a lot on the squad i'm on, it not easy but it can certainly be done. I suggest you go back and tell them to check again. Any problems come back to me, i'll do the check myself and let your local CJU traffic section know the result. You should inform the police anyway. Failing to stop at an accident is an offence, sadly only points issued, but still an offence.

Last edited by Vilma; 21 September 2004 at 05:26 PM.
Old 21 September 2004, 05:52 PM
RS2 JIM
Scooby Regular

Vilma,

Thanks for the info. I had a very friendly chat with the two officers involved about an hour ago. It's incredible how a nice friendly approach can make a difference. They have agreed that there is actually some scope available to them to look for part index numbers and they shall be doing this very shortly. Also, it seems my suggestion of searching the CCTV had already been actioned as, after a call to the cctv control, i was informed that there were already officers reviewing the footage.

I am now VERY confident that the boys and girls in blue will trace the culprit and throw the book at them.

Well done to the local constabulary.....it's just a shame the initial impression they gave was a tad pessimistic.

Thanks for the help on this thread everyone!

James
Old 21 September 2004, 06:03 PM
supertouring
Scooby Regular

I am in a similar position to you, so I hope I have similar success. My car was hit but another car while parked (opposite a police station!) so have asked them to look at the cctv footage (2 cameras on my car) to see if they can find the culprit. Still waiting for them to come back to me, but fingers crossed.
Old 22 September 2004, 01:09 AM
speedking
Scooby Regular

@JoeyDeacon, maybe written off, or perhaps re-registered on a personal plate, exported, etc.
Old 14 April 2018, 11:16 AM
Onewill001
Scooby Newbie

Default Hit and run search w/ partial plate number and make

Great news you are making progress in your situation. I am in a similar situation and need assistance. I live in Maryland. Any suggestions or ideas would be greatly appreciated
Old 14 April 2018, 11:35 AM
Onewill001
Scooby Newbie

Default Hello

Originally Posted by Vilma
It sounds to me more like they can't be bothered. I work for the Police and have done thousands of partial index checks. How much of the partial index did you get? It can also be done without and index through make and model, although this is a hugh search and can take day's to get a responce then interpret the information. We use this a lot on the squad i'm on, it not easy but it can certainly be done. I suggest you go back and tell them to check again. Any problems come back to me, i'll do the check myself and let your local CJU traffic section know the result. You should inform the police anyway. Failing to stop at an accident is an offence, sadly only points issued, but still an offence.
Hello Vilma. My name is Onesimus Williams. I was involved in a hit and run. My close friend lost two teeth. A young woman African American backed into my vehicle and was with other females. The lady who was driving was attempting to respond to the situation, yet her friends were rude and confrontational to my friend who was upset. She was convinced by her friends to drive off. I was only able to get partial plate number and make. The authorities do not file reports in hit and run cases without a full plate number. I don't agree with that, maybe a better approach would help. Maybe just a bad day. I spoke with an officer in another district and she said that there may be a solution yet she was not sure and the accident occurred in another district. I have vehicle damage and a friend who is in need of assistance as well. I ask for your help in any way, I am only interested in remedying this situation in the proper manner. This just happened tonight in Baltimore MD. I am here with my friend and we are both very unsettled at how this works. Thanks for hearing me.
Old 14 April 2018, 03:35 PM
b road blaster
Scooby Regular

To the O.P you may find it was on false plates of course in which case the
truck drive did give you the right info but its not coming back as the right car for you.
Just a thought
Old 14 April 2018, 06:09 PM
CharlySkunkWeed
Scooby Regular

Received 70 Likes on 48 Posts

It's 2018 guys.
Old 14 April 2018, 06:26 PM
silver-sub
Scooby Regular

Received 52 Likes on 40 Posts

Holy thread revival!
Old 15 April 2018, 09:31 AM
hedgecutter
Scooby Regular

Received 640 Likes on 466 Posts

Wrong country, wrong decade!!
Old 15 April 2018, 09:31 AM
joz8968
Scooby Regular

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by hedgecutter
Wrong country, wrong decade!!

Haha, epic post!
Old 15 April 2018, 10:01 AM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

jezuz , you have to wonder if any that clicked after / before / any time , during registering ( to enable posting at all)

Anyway good luck with picking up those badass kids