Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Purchasing items from America

Search this Thread

Old 20 September 2004, 05:01 PM
the_boy
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Purchasing items from America

Apologies if this seems a little basic but I'm just looking for clarification and have never done this before

Basically I'm looking to buy a CD changer plus some adapters from this guy in America. Platinum Seller on Ebay, although I didn't win the bid he wanted to know if I'd but the equipment directly.

I've agreed a price and also confirmed the price of postage to the UK.

Will I get stung with import tax for this and if so does anyone know how much it will be?

In addition if I pay by Mastercard will I be covered if anything goes Pete Tong?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated...
Old 20 September 2004, 05:08 PM
gsm1
Scooby Regular

Import duty is hit and miss. If he sends the stuff via couriers such as DHL, FedEx etc then you will have to pay duty but it is worked out on the value the sender places on the documentation. Via standard international parcel service and delivered by Royal Mail you may or may not be asked for duty. Unless it's a really good deal I wouldn't bother buying from abroad.
Old 20 September 2004, 05:44 PM
the_boy
Scooby Regular

Cheers for the reply

Not sure about delivery, according to him it's coming via Global express mail (EMS)

The items in the UK cost approx £260 delieverd
If I buy from him it's £210 not including any duty so there are savings to me made.

Is EMS the same as courier and will I get hit?
How will they know the value of the goods unless I tell them?
Old 20 September 2004, 05:46 PM
hedgehog
Scooby Regular

Any time I have bought from the US I have been hit for duty no matter the method of dispatch, perhaps some people get lucky and get away with it but I think that might be quite rare, specially as it is likely to be quite a large box.

You pay VAT at the standard rate plus duty at a rate which varies depending on the item. What really gets me is that VAT and duty is also paid on the cost of postage!! You also pay a flat rate for having the goods examined, I think it is about £13.

My guess is that something like a CD changer will come in at around 22% of the purchase and postage price. So, if the changer is £80 and the postage £20 then you will pay £22 tax and duty plus £13 fee for assesment bringing the total to £135.
Old 20 September 2004, 05:51 PM
hedgehog
Scooby Regular

The person sending the item has to declare it's value. If he is a regular trader then it is probably unwise for him to lie on that matter as I am sure most governments take a dim view of tax fraud. If it is costing £260 delivered to you then add 22% plus £13 and my bet is that will be pretty close.
Old 20 September 2004, 05:54 PM
Iain Young
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by the_boy
The items in the UK cost approx £260 delieverd
If I buy from him it's £210 not including any duty so there are savings to me made.
Well, you'll probably need to pay VAT, so at 17.5% that's £36.75, so you're up to £246.75 before any duty is added. Doesn't sound like a massive saving to may (and the duty may actually make it more expensive than buying it in the uk).

When I've had stuff delivered via the normal post office or courier, I've had to pay duty, so it's not just couriers that you get stung by. They've tightened this up greatly in recent months, and you'll be very lucky to get away without paying it if my experiences are anything to go by...
Old 20 September 2004, 05:56 PM
Iain Young
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by hedgehog
The person sending the item has to declare it's value. If he is a regular trader then it is probably unwise for him to lie on that matter as I am sure most governments take a dim view of tax fraud. If it is costing £260 delivered to you then add 22% plus £13 and my bet is that will be pretty close.

£210 + 22% + £13 = £269.20

which makes it more expensive than buying the stuff from the UK....
Old 20 September 2004, 06:45 PM
GM
Scooby Regular

I bought some stuff from a guy in the US which he sent UPS - he put a value of $1 on the label plus it wasn't heavy or box shaped so no duty. Frankly for £50 it doesn't seem worth the hassle. Even if you don't get stung for duty or VAT you've a lot more comeback if it goes wrong if you've bought it in the UK.
Old 20 September 2004, 06:51 PM
Buckrogers
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by the_boy
EMS partner Parcel Farce and if there is a declared value on the package then yes you will get hit.

GF's dad sent some jewellery for her birthday, ie a "gift", but the declared value was approx £120, which is over the "gift" allowance. Muggings here had to pay the driver £36:50!! Duty / VAT and PF charge for collecting said duty / VAT.

For a saving of 50 squid dont think its worth it to be honest. If it goes wrong the warranty if any will only be valid stateside.

Buck
Old 20 September 2004, 08:10 PM
the_boy
Scooby Regular

Cheers for the answers 8)

Looks like I'll be getting this from Hendon's...
Old 20 September 2004, 09:11 PM
skiddus_markus
Scooby Regular

I've had a few things sent from abroad and if they come by Fedex,they get opened,checked and resealed.I received something today from Malaysia and when opened it was in a Morrisons shopping bag
Old 20 September 2004, 10:16 PM
jods
Scooby Senior

Lightbulb

If you get an invoice for / from Customs & Excise for an Item that you have, Ahem, cough, "Returned" to sender then you don't pay it !