Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Rave review, Helter Skelter - Energy 2004 11/09/04

Search this Thread

Old 17 September 2004, 05:11 PM
astraboy
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool Rave review, Helter Skelter - Energy 2004 11/09/04

Helter Skelter used to be one of the biggest Hardcore promoters on the map. Their peak came during 1997, when Energy 97 touched down along with 17,000 close friends at Turweston Aerodrome. Everybody with half a braincell was there, so this didnt include me then. I also missed out on Energy 2001 when I was of the opinion that Manchester was too far to travel for a rave (how times change eh?). So when Energy 2004 was announced, I knew I had to be there. If nothing else than to say I had done an Energy. However, I was more than happy to go when I learned who was doing the individual arenas. HTID doing the Hardcore arena made me a very happy raver. Even though i had only attended one of their parties up in Air in Birmingham, I knew things would under control with these guys in charge. If that werent enough Raindance were brought in to host the Old Skool room. These people know how to put on a rave, I cant think of anyone who could do better than these guys. However, the REAL reason for going to this event was to realise a raver ambition and spend time in the Technodrome, making a welcome return for this event only.
Of course, the rooms are only as good as the DJs filling them and happily enough, the lineups in said arenas were VERY appealing. Altern-8, Top Buzz, Producer, Ribbz, Brisk and of course, the one and only Luna-C. Some people were complaining about the 30 quid ticket price. I weren't. Neither were the people that filled up my car on the way up. Outwards from Uxbridge station, I was four up, with a full compliment of Harrow Laydees in tow. The venue was easy to find (We saw some of the Skelter crew putting up arrows to tell you where to go on the way). Handily, after being a little wary of parking in the main carpark, I found a housing estate to ditch the motor on. After that, all I had to do was drink a gallon of energy drinks and walk to the queue.
I had been looking forward to this party for some time now. Helter are well known for a lot of things, but putting on a unique party is probably their best accolade. This was empasised after I had arrived at the venue shortly before its opening and was queuing up to get in. Not only was I feeling more than a little chuffed about the laminated (So it wouldn't fall apart) lineup times that were handed to me FOC and admiring the funfair which had been set up inside when two ramdon Mummies shuffled past the queue, as well as some bloke in a brown coat, flat cap, NHS glasses and a broom in his hand. It got my attention, thats for sure.
Shortly after, The queue moved off fairly quickly and after a pretty light search, I was inside. The only problem with being in so early was that none of the arenas were open yet! Some took the opportunity to get some drinks tokens, some to take a pee and have a go on the rides that were present. Myself, I was happy talking to friends where were arriving all the time, in a rave environment, but without having to shout myself to death to do it. Actually talking to people you meet every week and dance next to is a novelty, and it made this party stand out from the rest.
This all went out the window as 9pm approached. I had waited for this party and wanted a dance so badly I was itching to get in. Shortly afterward, I was inside the only arena I was interested in at this point, The HTID arena. When i got in I found I had a big smiloe on my face. It was just gone 9pm but the place was already packed and rocking. On the flyer this set was billed as "The Jellybeanz Crew", but Scottie and Mantra were the boys doing the business. Scottie B was kicking it up on the mic and he was surrounded by two boilersuited loons, dancing and handing out suspisciously small bags to the crowd filled with, you guessed it, Jellybeans! Musically, it was a perfect start to the night as you could hope for, with the boys playing hard and varied from the outset. As the Hardcore faithful swelled the dancefloor, the boys in charge dropped: "Definition of a Badboy", "Switch", "Died Oh R.I.P", "Midnight Resistance", "Power in the light" and Tilted 03. If the first set was any reflection of the night as a whole, I was in for a great time.
Mark EG was on next, but good as he is, I needed to explore. The rest of the rave was a mystery to me and I had to find out where I was going if I wanted to see who I wanted to see. I left the crowd in Mark's capable hands.
Soon after, I saw the Drum and Bass arena. Huge is an understatement, it was enormous. Made the Hardcore room look like a broom cupboard by comparison, I dint spend long in there as I had more important things to do, but like I said, Impressive. At the **** end of the DnB room was a Dark sweaty pit with a thumping bassline eminating from it. The Words "TECHNODROME" hung over the entrance. I wanted to go in there straight away, but I held myself back as I had more important things to do. At least I knew where to go for my Techno now. Right next to the toilets, there was a room about 20m by 10m. In that room someone had set up an Illegal Rave. Okay it had "Raindance" plastered all over the walls, but the point I'm making is the atmosphere was exactly like you get at a free party. This was where I needed to be. I walked in.
On the decks were two masters at work. Flashback on the decks and the MC Strict on the mic. A crowd typical of a Raindance do were on the dancefloor and to be honest, nothing more needs to be said. The atmosphere was sky high and the tunes were just as good. Flash was not anthem bashing, far from it. Obscure breakbeat tunes had me and the rest of the party going bananas. The first hour of the rave had been good, but the second was even better. I could name none of the tunes as i had honestly heard none of them before apart from the one he finished his set with and that just made me rush when "Gotta Believe" came on. Top set, Incredible atmosphere and the best music for the second hour running.
After I left the Raindance Arena, I could hold myself back no longer. Instead if going back to the Hardcore room, I walked to the back of the DnB room and did something I've wanted to do for some time now. I entered Helter Skelter's Infamous Technodrome. The Temparature jumped 10 degrees once I was inside. The Murk was occasionaly pierced by the minimal lighting rig. Sweating bodies threw themselves around the arena to the Hardcore Techno Producer was was pumping out. MC Ribbz was up on stage and contolling the evening as only he can. The place was a seething couldron of loud music, sweat, darkness and gritted teeth. A lot of my friends were in the arena at the same time and together we went for it. The place exploded when Ribbz demanded "Make some noise if you love your Hardcore!" and this set the tone for the set. Hard and fast Techno, being lapped up by the crowd. It was awesome, hot and an intense experience. I didnt care though. This was what I'd dreamed the Technodrome was all about.
I lasted precisely 37 minutes. I left the 'Drome a dizzy, sweating mess. I had planned on spending more time in there, but events overtook me. After a brief wait outside its entrance, I was back in the HTID arena. Hixxy and Recon were finishing off to an appreciative crowd when I arrived. The Place was rammed out and Hardcore ravers were everywhere you looked. Hixxy and Re-Con were finishing off to "You're the one for me" as i got in and after that it was the turn of the Nu Energy Collective to shake the place up. Kevin Energy stepped into the DJ booth and tore into one of his trademark sets of furious Freeform. Odyssey was on the mic throughout and was perfectly suited to this kind of set and the ravers responded by going bonkers and dacing as fast as the tunes and then some. The only tune I recognised was "Adagio" and that was with help, but now that I know what its called I wont forget it. Kev Dropping it in the middle of his set was sublime. A brief oasis of calm and mellow before the freeform came back in and it was mayhem as before. Top Work.
Staying firmly rooted in the HTID arena for the first time since the start of the night, I was well up for the next set. Seduction Vs. Sy. I would have preferred them to have had the last set in all honesty, but I'd been wishing away too much of the night if I'd have dreamed about my perfect set times all evening. I have seen previous teamups from these two at events in the past and have gone away very happy. I was in no position to change that train of thought either. Together with Storm on the mic, the three of them took me down an all too familiar route of high energy (pun intended!) bouncy tunes with a respectful smattering of classic remixes and new stuff which made me go "Mmm, like that" out loud. I was dancing all the way through this, just like I always do. I sometimes think I am too easily pleased when I listen to Sy and Sedders, but this is usually away from the rave. Once I get to the party and they start playing, I dont dwell on why I'm happy as a pig atop a particularly deep pile of ****, I'm just happy that its business as usual and I'm able to dance away like I just dont care. Tune selection has a lot to do with this, during their time behind the decks, Sy and Seduction dropped a nice remix of "Girls and Boys", "Only your love", the remixes of "Free your mind", "Dominator" and "Hypnotizin" and finishing on a tune I haven't heard before with the nice "Its making me want to dance" vocal. Kinda sums up the entire set really.
The next set saw me shoot stright over to the Raindance room. I'd seen Top Buzz before, but this time he was accompanied by none other than MC Mad P. I was in two minds as to whether I wanted to see a set just for the MC, but Xtra-C persuaded me earlier on in the evening. As I got into the arena, I saw the DJ and the MC at work. The same happy party crew as before were in the place, and were taking the old skool in their usual, relaxed and easygoing stride. The tune selection was a little anthemic, with "Sweet Harmony", "I get high","Just a feeling" and "I feel good" all getting a look in, but Mad P turned out to be a good reccomendation. He knew when to chat and when to shut up and we even got an impromptu performance of "Leaving on a Jet plane". It was a good set, even if the tunes were definitely nothing new.
All the rest of the night was leading up to the next set. It was time to stop messing around. I was here to see one person play out and one person only. I made it into the HTID arena in plenty of time to see Luna-C play out, I was not going to miss this for anything. Eventually I was rewarded with his appearence and then the tunes he has made his own were forthcoming. Once again, no messing about, Luna-C played the set of the night. Only on for 45 minutes instead of the hour he usually gets, it left him unfazed as he spent his allotted time visiting EVERY aspect of Hardcore rave music. No stone was left unturned, every avenue was explored. From 190bpm breakbeats, to a remix of "Electrik", from "Je-Ha!" to "Higher Love". Finally he left his last tune to come in after playing the curious vocal which I have heard before, but still made me chuckle with words to the effect of "Well thats the end of my set, I like to leave you with a sort of a *Meh* Feeling about it" preceeding his final tune, the classic "6Days".
Once again, with alarming ease, Luna-C whitewashed the opposition and took the set of the night. I was dancing like a loon all the way through it, but as soon as he finished, I was gone again. If I had just seen the reason I had come to the party, then the next act was a close second. Altern-8 were on and it weren't no DJ set, but a full on live PA. I'd seen it once before and wanted more if the same. After retrieving my own props from a handy stash corner I'd found, I went to the Raindance arena and put on a boilersuit and Dust Mask. After I was looking suitably rediculous, I got to the front to see Altern-8 play live. It was a complete change of pace from the previous set, but I didnt care. These guys are legends and you dont get a chance to see them play out, much less hear the tunes that made them famous, one after the other. "Hypnotic St8", "Armageddon" and best of all the vocals I'd come all the way to hear "This is the moment they've all been waiting for. This, is the sound, of ALTERN-8!" which preceeded "Evapor8". Finally after the end of their set, I was a hot sweaty boil in the bag mess, but even I stayed when they dropped "Top one, Nice one, Get sorted" as their final tune. Worth nearly collapsing three times and then some, I could see that every weekend and not get bored.
After a brief five minutes cooling down outside, it was time to finish off the night. The final two sets were upon me and They were firmly located in the Hardcore room. First up was another of the nights b2b teamings Brisk and Scott Brown. IMO, one of the more sucessful pairings of the night, partly cos of the differing influences adding to the set, but mostly cos of the bouncy tune selection which left me wondering who behind the decks came up with the idea first. Very, VERY dancable, even though I was hot, tired and out of energy, I couldn't stop dancing, I dragged myself away for a chat with a few friends at one point, but within 10 minutes The bouncy teleport had beamed me back onto the dancefloor and I was going for it again. I cant name any of the bouncy tunes, but amongst them were more of my favourites like "This is how we do it", "Rock this party" and "Back and Fourth". Finally Scott took over for the end of the set with some rock hard Gabba to finish their b2b set. Accompanying them was a dancing astraboy down near the front. I've never seen Brisk and Scott Brown go back to back. Wouldnt mind seeing them again now.
finally, the last set was upon me. Styles stepped up for his "Morning Glory" set and what a set it was. Billed as an anthem set, it was only proper that Storm and Whizzkid - MC2 went back to back as well. One thing I will mention here is a new addition to MC2's armoury. Storm, as you all know, can voice scratch, but now whizzkid can too. Not just a pale imitation of his partner on the mic either. With Storm taking care of the high end, Whizzkid took the bass notes. Made me sit up and take notice, thats for sure. While this was going on, Styles was going for it on the decks and the ravers were doing the same on the (packed) dancefloor. Starting off with the awesome "Now is the time" remix and continuing on the uplifting and crowdpleasing vein, the tunes came thick and fast and so did the rushes. "Let me fly away", "4am" Remix, "Dark and Long" Remix and best of all "Wont forget these days". However, the night came to a peak with the playing of a tune I dont hear nearly enough of, "Break of Dawn" Rushing right at the end of the evening? Dont mind if I do All too soon, the party came to an end, The soggy ravers still in the place (Just about all of them by the looks of it) were wished a safe trip home and were sent on their way through the flyer massive.

Things I liked:

Sound - In ALL of the arenas I went into, the sound was properly EQ'd and loud as well. The HTID arena was stupendously loud, esp. towards the end of the night.

Security - My heart sank when I saw meatheads with Sanctuary Security jackets on, I thought we'd left all them behind. However, they must have been kept happy with a bowl of severed limbs or something as I didnt see or hear of any of their trademark heavy handedness and found quite the opposite was true with the blokes working the one way systems on the doors.

Lineups - I was happy all night. The best of Hardcore, Old Skool and Techno meant frequent room changes , but the musical rewards were worth it.

Toilets - Very nice, especially with the portaloos outside. You know the promoters are looking after you when the portaloos outside have faux wood seats and portraits on the walls!

Set times - A good idea taken a step further with a laminated sheet which ment it didnt fall to bits in your pocket as the night progressed. It also ment the more enterprising could sell them on for a quid a flyer! Toerags!

"Farewell flyer" - Found this in the flyer pack the next day. A flyer from the Energy crew saying thanks for attending and even a little random bit how loads of sleep can help you recover quicker. Totally pointless and a waste of money, but it made me smile when I read it the morning after. Strangely enough I managed to sleep for 7 hours straight after reading that.

Things i liked less:

Waiting - The Hardcore arena was at capacity for most of the night. It meant being stuck outside in the cold while the arena emptied out so the same amount of people could go in. HTID needs a bigger arena for the next party at this place.

Heat - It was way too hot in the Hardcore arena. I was soaked to the skin when i left in the morning and about a stone lighter. I had heard that the A/C failed about an hour before the event and it was beyond their control, but the lack of A/C definitely made the crowd wilt towards the end.

Anyone else feel a bit odd about raving on this date? Prolly just me

One of the parties of the year, that one. And on the back of the previous events I have attended this year, thats saying something! It was easily worth 30 pounds of my money and i'd happily pay it again for an event that good. The only thing that really needs doing is sorting out a larger arena for the Hardcore room, apart from that, Helter and their associates are pretty much spot on from their first outing at this venue. The attention to detail that was put into this rave was staggering. I was even told that the Technodrome was a faithful reproduction of the original with its low ceiling and original backdrops. The party responded by being an amazing experience. The best genres, the best DJs, the best music and the best ravers in the place too. Altern-8 were wicked as usual, Producer gets better every time I see him and Luna-C Smacked it from the moment he arrived to the moment he left. My first Energy and my first "Proper" Skelter and I can see why everyone doesn't shut up about why their previous parties were so good. Like I said, one of the parties of the year, this one. Its also the deciding factor in where I'm gonna be at NYE. If its anything like this rave, I'll be doing this all over again on the 31st.
astraboy.
Old 18 September 2004, 02:54 PM
astraboy
Scooby Regular

right then, Shouts to:
Tansy, Lauren and Emma (Taxi crew), Barticle, Fish geffo + Daughter, Gingerjim,STS Dave, Rob83496536, Overload and the rest of the choons.net crew, Abeyance and Shauney C, I Wolf, Nova, Thumpa, Oli g, Sawyer, Immz, Deddley, Vapour, Curly, Bag, Mad Maz, Wizbit, Uplift, Mad Vic, Cakes, MC Trev, Jeff (DJ Power) and the rest of the SAFE birkenhead crew, Mark E, Platinum, Mozz, CheezeQuaver (Glad it worked for you mate!), Ponder, HB, Sweetstar, Caine, Lil Kev,Charlie & James, Sarah and her co dancer (Narni Shakas?!?!?!), Scottie and Mantra, Bubble, Hixxy (Hats off an all that), Energy, Storm & Sarah, Whizzkid, Rude, Strict, and anyone else who I have forgotten. I'm sure theres loads but I just cant remember. Soz.
astraboy.
Old 18 September 2004, 02:59 PM
andrewdelvard
Scooby Regular

Do you ever go to squat raves astraboy?
Old 18 September 2004, 03:20 PM
astraboy
Scooby Regular

actually I try to avoid Squat parties as they are more about the drugs than the music. Especially in London.
Illegal raves on the other hand, are quite a different matter. I am attending one tonight as it goes
astraboy.
Old 19 September 2004, 08:58 PM
astraboy
Scooby Regular

And what a party it was Havnt been to a rave like that in a while, ended up 12 miles north of Norwich
Full review coming soon
astraboy.