Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Since when is it ok to park in disabled spots?

Search this Thread

Old 15 September 2004, 06:25 PM
bren@apex
Former Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Since when is it ok to park in disabled spots?

Am I the only one whos blood boils when they see able bodied people park in disabled spots?

Its seems to be a more and more common occourance. I have to bite my toungue because if I started on every selfish git who is too lazy to walk a bit further and park in a proper parking spot I wouldnt get very far in life and would no doubt have been stabbed a few times over by now
Old 15 September 2004, 06:42 PM
Brian the Sn@il
Scooby Senior

Ive found that Disi bays are the only ones wide enough for Type R owners to open their doors to get out.
Old 15 September 2004, 06:46 PM
yvette296
Scooby Regular

well it peeves me something chronic as my daughter's disabled and there is usually some tw*t parked in a bay (usually either audi or beemer) so we can't park. Only I'm the sort of person to tell them what I think - and I do - loudly.

if thery are not in vehicle - I go into store and hassle them until they put message over tannoy - then I go and wait for the owner of the vehicle and bite his (or her) head off.

Not that I get angry easily ........
Old 15 September 2004, 06:50 PM
hoskib
Scooby Regular

don't think you're alone in thinking this mate!
my dad has a disabled badge and sometimes he feels a bit embarrassed to use it coz he's only got 2 plastic hips (which legitimately entitles him to have it apparently ) when there's obviously more afflicted people than him who could use the spot.

gonna hold my hands up though, coz i've used a disabled spot myself in a lazy moment, thing is i got glared at my some old boy as i roared up and screeched into the spot to get to the cash machine on the quick, felt so guilty i put on a massive 'i've had major surgery' limp that an oscar winner would have been proud of haven't done it again though
Old 15 September 2004, 06:52 PM
Aztec Performance Ltd
Former Sponsor

Pisses me off too. Hopw often do you see all the disabled bays full just because people cant be bothered to walk a bit further? Bloody selfish!
Old 15 September 2004, 06:54 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The BIGGEST problem, and the worst people, are those who use a Disabled badge and are CLEARLY fully capable!!

Those who use them blatantly are just selfish idiots who haven't got the family braincell that day!!

Pete
Old 15 September 2004, 07:27 PM
julian N/W wrx my93
Scooby Regular

i leave the baby seat in mine all the time so i can use the family parking spaces.

oh and i use the disables spots now and again........

Trending Topics

Old 15 September 2004, 07:42 PM
Aztec Performance Ltd
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by pslewis
The BIGGEST problem, and the worst people, are those who use a Disabled badge and are CLEARLY fully capable!!

Those who use them blatantly are just selfish idiots who haven't got the family braincell that day!!

Pete
How do you know they are fully able bodied? How do you know they are not picking up somebody who is disabled?

You cant always tell just be looking. If you havent got a disabled badge then you shouldn't park in parking allocated for disabled people.

Simple
Old 15 September 2004, 07:57 PM
Pixxie
Scooby Regular

I have really bad asthma and have to have equipment in the back of my car should i have any problem. i also have a badge for this, so dont hink just because you cant see any obvious disability they shouldnt be using a badge.
Old 15 September 2004, 08:11 PM
zoton
Scooby Regular

Very valuable points but can I just say.......

1. Why do supermarkets have so many disabled spots?????
  2. Also shouldn't they have a time limit on the stupid 'pushchair' spaces? No one surely needs to take little Jonny to Safeway at 11 PM?
  3. And while I'm here make the regular spaces big enough in the first place and FFS ban ignorant barstewards in 4x4 trucks from shopping in the first place.
The disabled I wholehearted agree need their spaces.

PS Disabled toilets I will continue to use...lots of legroom and we all have to wait every now and again folks.

Last edited by zoton; 15 September 2004 at 08:13 PM.
Old 15 September 2004, 08:22 PM
logiclee
Scooby Regular

Do a search and you will find many multi-page threads on the subject.

My wife is disabled so you can guess my viewpoint.

Last week I got a £50 fine for parking in a disabled bay while displaying the badge but not the time disc. I had put a valid pay and display sticker on by mistake thinking I had to pay.

Just wish more able bodied people would get fined and that would put a few off parking in disabled bays.

Lee
Old 15 September 2004, 08:24 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

Pete
God bless your narrow-mindedness and narrow parking bays

Had some old duffer in his car shouting and bawling because he want to park in the diasbled spot we just pulled in.

Frantically waving his disabled badge out the window and pointing to it.

I did the honourable thing and waved and pointed ours back at him.

Daft thing was, there was a free bay 3 cars down. And he was driving an old Volvo 340...which I know a) was a manual b) doesn't have power steering and has bloody heavy steering at that.

So can't be "that" disabled could he???
Old 15 September 2004, 08:32 PM
logiclee
Scooby Regular

Ali,

Get it all the time mate.

We are both 35 and look fit and healthy but my wife suffers severe back pain after a car accident and spinal fusion ten years ago.
She can't walk far, can't stand long and takes a bucket load of drugs including oral Morphine just to get through each day. She ends up in hospital a couple of times a year and has just come home today. In 2002 she had a 7 week stay including Christmas and New Year.

But we still get abuse from the oldies who think you have to be old to be disabled. Even got abuse from a checkout women because my wife wasn't emptying the supermarket trolly. She was suspended and sent home after I complained to the manager.

Lee
Old 15 September 2004, 08:34 PM
billsta
Scooby Newbie

its ok when i park me porsche turbo .
Old 15 September 2004, 08:35 PM
logiclee
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by billsta
its ok when i park me porsche turbo .
Why?
Old 15 September 2004, 08:54 PM
andypugh2000
Scooby Regular

Parent and child spaces really annoy me how did we ever manage without them i think to myself make the lazy bratts walk and they wont get fat.
Old 15 September 2004, 08:56 PM
paulr
Scooby Regular

Arrow

I sommetimes park in them,big deal.I mean you cant win,if you treat disabled people as disabled they say."oh,people never see you,only your disability".So i treat them on an equal level,and that means first come first served like everyone else.
Old 15 September 2004, 09:00 PM
bren@apex
Former Sponsor

Thumbs down

Originally Posted by paulr
I sommetimes park in them,big deal.I mean you cant win,if you treat disabled people as disabled they say."oh,people never see you,only your disability".So i treat them on an equal level,and that means first come first served like everyone else.
Youre on a wind up, right?
Old 15 September 2004, 09:02 PM
D.K.1
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by andypugh2000
Parent and child spaces really annoy me how did we ever manage without them i think to myself make the lazy bratts walk and they wont get fat.
The point of parent child spaces is so that you can get small children in and out of cars, but nine times out of ten, when we go shopping, they're taken up by people who haven't got kids, or have older kids, like about ten years of age.

With having three children myself, I personally find it difficult getting the two youngest out of car seats if we're in a regular parking space, rather than a perent - child one, because you can't open the doors properly with them being so close together, so struggle to twist into the car to lift them out of the seats, then struggle to lift then between the small gap with the door open as far as it will go in a regular space.
Old 15 September 2004, 09:06 PM
paulr
Scooby Regular

Question

Originally Posted by bren
Youre on a wind up, right?
Partly,yes.
But seriously,why should disabled people be singled out for special treatmnet,why is it "oh so terrible" that they may have to walk a few extra yards.I do occasionally park in disabled spots.If they want to be integrated into society,then they should have to put up with the same injusticies that able bodied people have to.
Or shall we carry on looking down to them?
Old 15 September 2004, 09:10 PM
logiclee
Scooby Regular

Angry

Partly,yes.
But seriously,why should disabled people be singled out for special treatmnet,why is it "oh so terrible" that they may have to walk a few extra yards.I do occasionally park in disabled spots.If they want to be integrated into society,then they should have to put up with the same injusticies that able bodied people have to.
What about people who may not be able to walk from the other end of the car park without causing themselves lots of pain you F****** IDOIT!

My wife also has to have the door fully open to get in and out. If someone parks at the side of her in a normal width space she can't get in the car and you would soon complain if she dinged your door.

Ignorance is not pretty is it.

Last edited by logiclee; 15 September 2004 at 09:13 PM.
Old 15 September 2004, 09:18 PM
Brian the Sn@il
Scooby Senior

Partly,yes.
spot on mate

im a fat bar steward and i need space to get out of my ride.
I know loads of peeps with the Disi Badges that are more mobile then me !!!
Old 15 September 2004, 09:24 PM
logiclee
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Brian the Sn@il
spot on mate

im a fat bar steward and i need space to get out of my ride.
I know loads of peeps with the Disi Badges that are more mobile then me !!!
Well lets hope your weight soon leads to a massive heart attack then it's one less inconsiderate ar5ehole on the planet.

If you walked a bit further you might not be such a fat bar steward!!

On a more serious note if you guys are being genuine it's just proof of why society in this country is going down the pan.
Old 15 September 2004, 09:31 PM
Spoon
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

Partly,yes.
You wouldn't know the meaning of "but seriously" if you woke up one morning after an accident paralysed and requiring a wheelchair for the rest of your life.

When you find out the obstacles in day to day living you would worship the disabled bays if only just to enter and exit your vehicle.

The abuse of these bays needs addressing and as pslewis says too, it's not only by non-badge holders.
Old 15 September 2004, 09:34 PM
gsm1
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Brian the Sn@il
Ive found that Disi bays are the only ones wide enough for Type R owners to open their doors to get out.
Oi, I've got a CTR and never park in disabled spots!
Old 15 September 2004, 09:47 PM
yvette296
Scooby Regular

Donna - i had an idea once which I put to a friend of mine that if the parent & child spaces were jsut a point of room - then why not put them further away - then no-one would be tempted to park in them would they> What do you think?

As for the disabled bays - whilst i see your point about integration bren, from purely a personal perspective, if I am unloading my daughter from our Kangoo in her wheelchair, then I want to get her into the store as quickly as possible as she can't protect herself from the elements. And i you have never tried holding an umbrella, closing the van & pushing a wheelchair and keeping an eye on the person in the wheelchair then you possibly would not understand why these shoudl be close to the doors.
Old 15 September 2004, 09:50 PM
Tiggs
Scooby Regular

we need retard spaces for some of the morons on this thread.

disabled ppl and those with small kids will find it easier to get to the store without haviong to cover greater distance and negotiate the car park itself.

people with neither disability or children should find the distance and dangers of a car park are no big deal.....if you are to stupid to a)realise that or b)allow ppl to use those spaces on that basis then you are prob to stupid to be allowed in a store on your own in the first place.
Old 15 September 2004, 09:53 PM
Tiggs
Scooby Regular

"Donna - i had an idea once which I put to a friend of mine that if the parent & child spaces were jsut a point of room - then why not put them further away - then no-one would be tempted to park in them would they> What do you think?"

its not just room...the reason they are near the store is if a mum has a trolley full and 3 kids to deal with then traveling accross a busy car park is not ideal.

i am perfectly able to manage my kids (before anyone starts on the "kids should look out for cars themsleves" speech) but i still like being able to get my 3 out without them being in the middle of the car park. The two eldest go to the store fron t while i get the baby.
Old 15 September 2004, 10:00 PM
+Doc+
Scooby Senior

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts

Pete
Bit of a sticky one this, my wife looks clearly able but at the moment is unable to walk long distances. If someone has a "legitimate" Badge then thats their spot imo anyone else should have points on their license for parking their imo.
Old 15 September 2004, 10:04 PM
paulr
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

Outside our local council offices there are 5 normal bays and 3 disabled.The 5 are always full,the disabled usually one,occasionally two.
In such circumstances it should be first come first served.

Quick Reply: Since when is it ok to park in disabled spots?