Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Bleeding air from an oil-fired boiler

Search this Thread

Old 03 September 2004, 08:48 PM
Cider boy
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bleeding air from an oil-fired boiler

As per title - can anybody offer any help on how to do so as it won't clear by itself

Matt
Old 03 September 2004, 09:13 PM
Allan
Scooby Regular

You need to purge it at the pump on the boiler, on mine there is a hex nut located on the front of the pump as you look at it (the unit with the oil feed going to it).

Turn the boiler off but leave the oil supply on, undo the nut just enough to let the oil run out, use a container or lots of rag to catch the oil. Do the nut back up, clear the lock out (if you have one) and fire it up. Repeat as required until it clears.

Disclaimer: I'm not qualified to comment, just done it before.

Allan
Old 03 September 2004, 09:31 PM
Doc
Scooby Regular

The instruction manual for my Worcester Bosch had clear instructions when I needed to do mine. What model boiler do you have and more importantly what model of pump?
Old 03 September 2004, 09:40 PM
Cider boy
Scooby Regular

Cheers for that mate - I thought it may be the hex nut (there is one at the front and also the bottom of the oil inlet section, but wasn't sure if I needed the boiler on or not!!

I'll give that a try

Cheers,

Matt

Doc - It's a bit of older model in a house my brother is renting for a while so no instruction book - the pump however is a mectron 3bm if that means anything

Last edited by Cider boy; 03 September 2004 at 09:48 PM. Reason: After Doc's reply
Old 03 September 2004, 10:00 PM
Doc
Scooby Regular

I asked about pumps as I have instructions for several, unfortunately not yours but the general principle should be the same.

Assuming its a single pipe system (as a double pipe system automatically vents) then you release the bleed port on the manifold, put a container below it to catch the oil. Turn on the boiler thermostat and allow the burner to run through to lockout. Wait 2 minutes and reset the burner control box. Repeat the procedure at least 3 times or until a steady stream of oil, without air is exhausted from the bleed port. Relock the bleed port.

I hasten to add I'm no expert, the above is taken directly from my instruction book.
Old 04 September 2004, 12:39 PM
Cider boy
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up Thank you!

Cheers for your help gents, went down to my brothers place first thing and did the above and it fired first time