Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Rave review, Uproar - All Systems Go! 28/08/2004

Search this Thread

Old 01 September 2004, 07:01 PM
astraboy
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rave review, Uproar - All Systems Go! 28/08/2004

With the major promoters scattered to the four winds with the closure of the Sanctuary, what to use as a new venue remained a closely guarded secret and rightly so. With other promoters keen to snap up the same venues and use them first, a waiting game was played till it could be played no longer. Last on the list to reveal all was Uproar. The weird thing is, we still dont know where their "Proper" replacement venue is. This latest party at The Emporium in Coalville had been billed as "An exclusive one off event" while their ultimate destination is finalised for their use. Not that I cared about all that, I was just happy to go to another Uproar again. Their previous parties at the Sanctuary during its sunset months were nothing short of awesome, their patented blend of upfront and older "Happy" hardcore, as well as Techno and Old Skool proving to be a real breath of fresh air, with the ravers approving of such a music policy by voting with their feet and attending.
Having never been to Coalville before, The Emporium is another venue which was all new to me. However, I was willing to make the 2 hour journey up there on past performance and the lineup this party was boasting. Another sublime blend of exclusive b2b sets such as Sy and Seduction and Dougal and Hixxy, as well as a strong backbone of DJs including Styles, Gammer, Sharkey, and Marc Smith. Robbie Long and Thumpa took long overdue slots in the lineup and last but not least, Breeze was due to play an unusual 98 classics set.
The Techno and Old Skool room was equally forthcoming, but if I'm honest, Breeze's set was what interested me the most. Mostly because you just dont hear too many tunes from that era these days.
The only way to experience it was to pick up Paul Z and one half of the dynamic duo from Harrow and take a 2 hour blast up the M1 to get to the venue. There were a few problems along the way. Small things like multiple pileups causing the closure of stretches between junctions 13-14 and 21a-22. Nothing serious but once we were in the town, the place was relatively easy to find, as was the carpark out the back where we ditched the motor. A handily placed pre rave pub was right next to the venue and we sunk a few in there whilst chatting to the Litchfield crew who had descended upon the venue en masse to support their local boy. Eventually the meetup petered out and I went to drop off my freshly aquired mix CD (Cheers Cruzey 8) ) and then return to the queue, gulping down energy drinks all the way.
When I got to the queue, the first thing I noticed was how huge it was, I was in the paying and free guestlist queue and it was fiarly large, but the main queue was so big, by the time the doors opened, I couldnt see the end of it! I think it stretched round the corner at the end of the street, a good 100 yards away, it was that big. In the back of my mind I did wonder how long it would take to get all those people in, but that wasn't my concern as I was waved through by a clipboard weilding laydee. After making sure to thank Rude and Sedders for their hospitality, I was in.
Never been to the Emporium before, so I werent sure what to expect.
but I was pleasently surprised to find a large main arena with a rapidly expanding crowd being entertained by the one and only DJ Thumpa on the decks. MC Friction had joined him on the mic for their warm up set, but any "Warmup" set with a full on hardcore lineup and gabba finish deserves a rename, not to mention a pat on the back for being so entertaining. Thumps did a workmanlike job of moving through his set while the ravers who entered in the meantime were introduced to the party in the best possible way. Thumpa kept it hard and fast for the majority of his alloted hour, dropping "Resource", "Give you the world", "3000cycles", "heh" and finishing off on "Listen carefully"
I was staying rooted to the spot when Thumpa had finished. The next DJ was Robbie Long and he always flips my switch when he plays out. mostly because of the upfront breakbeat sound he has made his own. You never hear enough upfront breaks at most raves, but at Uproar they were given a fair outing, even if he didnt go for a 100% breaks set like I had hoped for. Friction stayed on for Robbie's set, but was then joined by Uproar's "Search for an MC Competition" winner, MC Gazy J. During his set Gazy and Friction swapped over on numerous occasions and apart from the slightly repetative question "Who's a Hardcore raaaaaaaaver!" turned in a solid performance which complimented the music well. However, on a personal preference, the music won it overall, simply because of Robbie's awesome tune selection. Starting off with the amazing "Walking on the moon" which provided my first rush of the evening, Robbie didnt let up, dropping "Earpopper", "BeaverBeaver" and "KillBill Vol. 2" which gave the crowd a good selection of breakbeats which the crowd responded to well, before turning up the heat with the 4/4 kicks and watching them go for it all over again. Its always nice to See Robbie Long play out and this time it was business as usual.
Another set which didn't require any movement from the Hardcore room, Scottish rave legend Marc smith stepped up next and did what he does best, tear the crowd apart with awesome high energy tunes which he is famous for. Also notable was the first appearence of MCs Storm and Whizzkid, the two of them did the decent thing and went b2b over Marcs set. It did take a few minutes for them to get going properly, but once they were there, it was VERY entertaining to watch them work off each other.
Using their own lyrics as well as borrowing off each other, Storm and Whizzkid took us through their first performance with a promise of more to come later as well.
Marc was equally forthcoming with his trademark style too. I like the way this mon puts his set together with an infectious bouncy tempo giving me an irresistable urge to dance and not stop no matter what. He also made a few sidesteps into the freeform sound too, but I werent complaining, it just made me want to dance harder. Dropping "Are you ready for the ride", "Died oh R.I.P", "Audalio", "Miasma", "Gravity" and a new tune by Oli G and Dodgee which escapes me for now, Marc whipped the place into a frenzy with his music and I was at the front dancing all the way through.
If that werent good enough then another well deserved set from Gamma took place after Marc had taken his final tune down. Another example of Gamma's Eclectic set structure, you never know what to expect with this man and when he stepped up and took control of the night, it was obivious from his first tune the upfront remix of "Injected with a poison" that I was in for a good time. Even better, Odyssey had taken over the mic from Storm and Whizzkid and was taking the ravers on a vocal journey which was more than a little arresting. Helping him on the way was the surpise appearence of MC Ethos on the mic. It would be an insult to call him a mic blagger, but seeing as it was his birthday it would have been rude for him to not have a short go. Ethos was quickly in his element. The man can DJ as well, but he is, IMO, much more impressive on the mic. His understated and well versed lyrics complimenting the music well. He even spun out my personal favourite "H to the A to the R to the D". I was buzzing when he took over the mic, it was great to see him back up there and I was singing along to my favourite lyrics until he handed it back.
Gamma, meanwhile had his head down, busting out tune after tune and keeping the ravers dancing. going for a slightly more relaxed and happy selection, rather than furious top end tunes, Gamma dropped "Love you when you love me so", "Only your love", a nice remix of "Get up and Dance" and finishing with "3000 cycles", a favourite tune of mine which always gets me excited when I hear it out.
Four hours of non stop Hardcore stomping had left me a little out of breath though, so when Gamma had taken his last tune down I went for a little explore. The main room was notable by its hugeness and its massive production spec. Most of it was probably the clubs own equipment, but it was none the less impressive enough for me to get out my phone and film it all to watch later. A large green laser dominted it all, with its unusual location meaning you could watch what it was projecting without having to turn round. three large video screens backed it up with the main one namechecking the event and which DJ was on right then and two smaller ones showing weird visuals and sweeping colours. Out the back was the obligatory murky techno room. The minimalist production was made up where it counted with a massive soundsystem and the compulsary bunch of headcases throwing themselves around to the music. I'd have to spend some more time in there later on in the night, but for now I carried on exploring. Right at the back of the venue was the old skool arena. The most understated of the three, a small system was in place, playing to an equally small crowd. Slipmatt was on the decks when I arrived and even though I was sure half the rig werent switched on, the music was good enough for me to stay and have a dance. MC Energy took us through the set on the mic as Slipmatt went beyond the same old anthem bashing session with some tasty tunes slipped inbetween the classics. "DJ's Unite Volume 3" being notable amongst the usual, but no less entertaining crowd pleasers such as "Charley", "Way in my brain", "Far out", "Feel the heat", "Out of Space" and "Your Love"
Once Slipmatt had finished his set, I was straight back into the main room. Nothing was going to keep me from Breeze's 98 set as I had been reliably informed that there were some top notch tunes contained within his set. Storm and Whizzkid reprised MC2 as Breeze stood up and got to work. Straight from the outset I knew it would be something special when he played "DJ Supreme" as his opening tune. After that, the set just got better and better with tunes you just dont hear out anymore getting tastefully resurrected and dropped to an appreciative crowd, myself included. "Dont go away", "All i need is your love", "You are everything", the classic "Bodyslam" and best of all, the awesome "Break of Dawn" I was buzzing hard throughout the set, but the rush I got when that one came on nearly took my head clean off my shoulders. Storm and Whizzkid were just as good as they always are as Breeze finished off with more modern tunes to make the transistion to the next DJ easier. "Now is the time" and "Turn up the music" were the best way to finish off what was undoubtably the set of the night. If nothing else than because by the end of it I was a mass of nerve endings all tingling to the best tunes of the night. Easily the best set of the night, easily.
The only way to continue after the set of the night was to hop to a different genre and hope it compares. Within the techno room, I found what I was looking for with DJ Producer on the decks. I'll lay my cards on the table right now and say I cant name one tune he played, but thats not the point with techno and in the case of this set, was as far from the point as could be. What made this set special was the sheer amount of work that Producer put into it. The majority of the set was spent with him hunched over the mixer, chopping up the tunes, scratching over the music and amongst all this, finding time to cue up and mix in the next record. Very, very impressive to watch, I frequently found myself stopping dancing and just staring at him to see what he was going to do next, then going crazy all over again when the bassline kicked in. I was so engrossed in his set that I completely forgot that I had wanted to split the set 50/50 with Sharkey on in the main room as I looked at my watch and saw it was 3.55 and had missed the majority of it. I missed the rest as well when the legend that MC Ribbz appeared and immediately got on the mic. Within second of him picking up the mic the atmosphere had increased tenfold. Unfortunately I had to leave at this point, but Producer had expanded my mind and Ribbz had gotten on the mic. My work was done in the techno room for the night.
Back in the main arena, Sharkey was finishing off his set. His usual tough freeform style was in top gear when I got there and the crowd were going mental as he finished them off with "No one can Compete" and Oli G's "Grr". Next up was the start of the final two sets of the night.
Both Back to Back showcases, first was the turn of Sy and Seduction to go head to head. I was expecting good things from these two as singularly they are always entertaining, but collectively, they can do no wrong. Especially with Storm Whizzkid and MC Rude complimenting them on the mic. Storm and Whizzkid went first,quickly resuming their MC2 role and whipping them into yet another frenzy, before handing over to the man of the moment, MC Rude to take the second hour. The Tunes were in the capable hands of one of the Promoters and the Quosh master of the bouncy sound. I knew it would be great and in no way did it let me down. Quickly getting into the fantastic music, Sy and Seduction played one tune after the other and rocked the joint, pure and simple. Starting off with "Neckbreaker" and moving off at, quite aptly, breakneck speed through the remix of "Take me on up", "Hypnotizing", "Lets fly away", "Discoland", "4am", "yeah baby", "Into the sound" and finishing on the remix of "Free your mind", the entire two hours blew me away from start to finish. Two hours? I would have preferred eight tbh, thats how good it was.
For the last set of the night, Hixxy and Dougal were to take us up to 7.30 with their trademark uplifting vocal styles. An unusual choice to finish the night, but it seemed to go down well, perhaps the crowd were appreciative of aselection which was easier to dance to at 5.30am, but it was more likely to be the preponderence of the euphoric, rushy tunes that were blasting out of the system. The pair started off with plenty of the vocal sound such as "I was blind and now I see", "Love you when you love me so" and "You're the one for me" whilst gradually introducing darker elements such as "The Darker sound of Hardcore", Whizzkid's very own "Until the end of time" and another airing of the excellent "3000 cycles" Lastly, they ripped into the HTID theme tune, "This is how we do it", "Huggermugger" and the tune I never tire of, the remix of "Injected with a poison". The crowd stood their ground throughout their set, never stopping moving and making noise. Whizzkid was on the mic for the majority of the set, but Storm and Rude kept their oars in and when the final tune came down Storm wished the true Hardcore a safe journey home to finish off a top night out in Coalville.
Things I liked:

Venue - The Emporium is a good sized venue which is used for more mainstream genres as well as hardcore. This ensures little things like working toilets, reasonable(ish) bar prices, powerful sound system and supercharged aircon system are all in order.

Music - Everything was represented on the night, if it was Hardcore, it was there. Breakbeat, Oldskool, Happy Hardcore, Upfront, Freeform, Techno and Gabba. What more could you ask for?

The crowd - No bother all night that I saw and even better, they were very vocal when they were on the dancefloor. The MC asked for noise and he got a report to be proud of. Sometimes he didnt need to ask at all.

Bouncy floor - Wicked to find another one at a Hardcore venue. The sweatbox lives on!

The strobes - Pointed upward and the ones facing the crowd had a red filter. No-one went down that I saw either.

7am finish - More promoters should go on till 7am, this party was better for the extended finish.

Club layout - I liked the multi leveled dancefloor. Everywhere you looked you saw ravers going for it with a smile on their face.

Things i liked less:

The Old Skool room - or "The broken pencil room" as it became known. Well it was definitely pointless, thats for sure. Early finish and a system that would have been drowned out by a car stereo when it was on.

Sound system - It was on the quiet side for the first part of the night.It was the exact opposite at the end of the night though, why not put it up throughout the night?

Mic volume - It was too loud at some points and the MC(s) were nearly drowning out the music.

Bog roll - I had to go on frequent missions to find some. When I did I had to search for a toilet with a lock on it.

Set structure - I felt the DJs and the music could have been better ordered to produce a building scale of tempo and pace throughout the night. It was a bit of a mish mash at some points with frequent leaps between subgenre's which took an edge off my enjoyment, for no other reason than it took a while to adjust to the new style being played.

What a party. I had reservations about driving all this way for a rave, but they proved to be totally unfounded. The place was packed, the music was first class and the crowd danced like mad till the very end. The familiar feeling of experiencing something fresh and innovative whilst at an Uproar party was upon me throughout the night and I'm sure I werent the only one to feel it too. I cant wait for the next party the promoters put on. The only way I'm not gonna be there is if the ground swallows me up. Even then I'm gonna tunnel my way into the club. Speaking of which, I heard a rumour that the next party will be at the same venue due to the amount of people that turned out at this one. If its good enough for Uproar to call home then I am more than happy to return to it for their next rave. Wherever their next port of call is, I will be there for more of the same. The chances of me going away dissapointed when I leave are VERY slim, just like the way I felt when I left this party.
astraboy.
Old 01 September 2004, 07:06 PM
mj
Scooby Regular

LOL, you always seem to mention Bog roll - is it mandatory for you to "pinch a loaf" at these events?
Old 02 September 2004, 03:02 AM
scrappydoo
Scooby Regular

Cool

Cracking write-up bro. Sounded as though it was worth the drive. Some classic beats...
Old 02 September 2004, 09:58 AM
astraboy
Scooby Regular

not madatory, but nearon compulsary, Believe me I'd prefer not to, rave toilets are not nice places to curl one down.
astraboy.