Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

28 Days Later...

Search this Thread

Old 25 August 2004, 10:05 AM
messiah
Scooby Regular

Location: Surviving as a soldier of fortune on the Los Angeles underground...
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down 28 Days Later...

Just watched this last night. Interesting idea but turned out to be a load of tat. The highlight of the film turned out to be spotting the Lake District locations at the end!

Dissapointing - looked very amateurish, nowhere near as polished as Trainspotting.

Old 25 August 2004, 10:09 AM
Senior_AP
Scooby Regular

The amateur look made the film what it was. It looked like a home video in places.

It hit home the whole realisation of what 'could' happen, thats why they used locations we have all seen.

I'm with the critics on this one - bloody good film. (imo)
Old 25 August 2004, 10:11 AM
EddScott
Scooby Regular

Received 64 Likes on 32 Posts

Its funny how people seem to ether hate the film or really like it. A mate bought it from Tesco becuase people had said it was so good and after watching it he took it back and wouldn't leave until they gave him a refund.

I thought it was very good myself.
Old 25 August 2004, 10:12 AM
suprabeast
Scooby Regular

i thought it was utterly crap... 28 days and the british army troops have turned into idiots.

Didn't like it and just sat there through the whole thing thinking why didnt i go and see something else.
Old 25 August 2004, 10:13 AM
messiah
Scooby Regular

I thought the problem was it looked like an amateur film trying to look like a more professional finished job. If they wanted the amatueriah look they should have gone more "Blair Witch" style - that worked, IMHO this one didn't.

The scenes of deserted London were pretty good although you could tell where moving objects had been digitally removed.
Old 25 August 2004, 10:27 AM
jbryant
Scooby Regular

I thought it was a fantastic film. Fair play to the creators in putting together such a good film on a tight budget... Adding a shaky Blair Witch camera would only bring about more bad comments along the lines of theBourne Supremacy threads!
Old 25 August 2004, 10:29 AM
King RA
BANNED

I loved it, still think it's a great film. And the British army doing what they done...I'd like to see your reaction to everyone turning into zombies and trying to kill you.

Trending Topics

Old 25 August 2004, 10:30 AM
Daz34
Scooby Regular

I enjoyed it. Very thought provoking. Also, it was only the one army unit that went nuts
Shaun of the dead is very funny too but very tongue in cheek.
Old 25 August 2004, 10:40 AM
astraboy
Scooby Regular

I thought the best bits were the deserted london scenes at the start. Even though they were blatently filmed on sunday at 5am, it was still impressive to get such wide, deserted shots in London.
astraboy.
Old 25 August 2004, 10:44 AM
ian_sadler
Scooby Regular

Very good british film filmed on a limited budget
Old 25 August 2004, 10:47 AM
BlkKnight
Scooby Regular

It's a thinkers film rather than a gore fest.

I thought it was very good.

Those that didn't like it would probabily prefer "dawn of the dead"
Old 25 August 2004, 10:55 AM
Senior_AP
Scooby Regular

Top film.....why??

Cosd it was horrifically believable and close to home.
Old 25 August 2004, 11:33 AM
Prince Popeye
BANNED

'i thought it was utterly crap... 28 days and the british army troops have turned into idiots.'

Indeed why does the british Army always have to be portrayed as a bunch of misfits in these type of films? Dog soldiers anyone??

'I thought the best bits were the deserted london scenes at the start'

If you look closely when hes walking up a street on the right there is a man walking about 50 yards further up.

Personally it started well then got rather far fetched. I mean wtf was that changing the wheel in 30 secs all about then driving over 50 smashed up cars????
Old 25 August 2004, 11:59 AM
Rumplestiltskin!
Scooby Regular

I thought it was pretty good.
It was all filmed on a digital handheld camcorder or something like that (due to budget) which does give it an odd appearance but works with the type of film it is....esp the bit when he goes for the army blokes in the rain & the rain drops look huge !
Apparantly Stephen King liked it so much he hired a cinema, filled it with his friends & showed the film to them.

Anyone seen the alternative ending ?
I was expecting more from that to be honest & really looking forward to it......turned out to be a bit weak.
Old 25 August 2004, 12:23 PM
Abdabz
Scooby Regular

Location: Tellins, Home of Super Leagues finest, and where a "split" is not all it seems.

A truly superb film - bought on DVD and watched now and again - love it - loads of truly superb scenes - good acting - scary unique concept - In my all time top 10.
As already said weird how folk seem to love or hate films - but hey - my opinion is the best in my opinion.
P
Old 25 August 2004, 12:54 PM
angrynorth
Scooby Regular

The amateur look made it look like your typical pretentious British art student movie. Utter and complete dross poorly scripted and weakly acted, one of the worst films I have ever, ever seen. Even bloody Jeepers Creepers was better than this!

Not to contradict your or anything Abdabz
Old 25 August 2004, 01:12 PM
milo
Scooby Regular

i thought it was really good personally

but then i tend to really like movies that lots of other people think are **** and vice versa

acquired taste maybe
Old 25 August 2004, 01:15 PM
mervil
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by angrynorth
The amateur look made it look like your typical pretentious British art student movie. Utter and complete dross poorly scripted and weakly acted, one of the worst films I have ever, ever seen. Even bloody Jeepers Creepers was better than this!

Not to contradict your or anything Abdabz
Jeepers Creepers???

Obviously hated it then! Thought it was quite good myself!
Old 25 August 2004, 01:28 PM
angrynorth
Scooby Regular

Certainly did mervil. I absolutely hate films like that, it thought it was way above its station, like I say very pretentious. Not even a thoughtful movie that pushed you to think, just an unbelievable assault of crappy over-acting shoddy cinematography...

One more thing, if the complete population of Britain was dead/dying/zombified there wouldn't be a peaceful London as shown in the dramatic opening shots. There would be looney zombies running round everywhere and bodies everywhere, not just a couple of bit of litter.

I could go on for days about it, but I won't.
Old 25 August 2004, 01:36 PM
Senior_AP
Scooby Regular

Certainly did mervil. I absolutely hate films like that, it thought it was way above its station, like I say very pretentious. Not even a thoughtful movie that pushed you to think, just an unbelievable assault of crappy over-acting shoddy cinematography...

One more thing, if the complete population of Britain was dead/dying/zombified there wouldn't be a peaceful London as shown in the dramatic opening shots. There would be looney zombies running round everywhere and bodies everywhere, not just a couple of bit of litter.

I could go on for days about it, but I won't.

London was evacuated, says that in the film.
Old 25 August 2004, 01:38 PM
angrynorth
Scooby Regular

Senior, I appreciate that, but zombies wouldn't pay much attention to being evacuated don't you think?

Plus there would be a large amount of casualties / dead still laying around the streets, not enough time had passed for them to decompose into nothing.
Old 25 August 2004, 01:38 PM
darts_aint_sport
Scooby Regular

One more thing, if the complete population of Britain was dead/dying/zombified there wouldn't be a peaceful London as shown in the dramatic opening shots. There would be looney zombies running round everywhere and bodies everywhere,
No change to what we've got now then.
Old 25 August 2004, 01:41 PM
angrynorth
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by darts_aint_sport
No change to what we've got now then.
ROFL
Old 25 August 2004, 01:51 PM
CHRIS_D
Scooby Regular

Plus there would be a large amount of casualties / dead still laying around the streets, not enough time had passed for them to decompose into nothing.
but wouldnt they have all turned into zombies as well ?

Anyway, i thought the film was ok in principle, with all these bloody tree huggers...who knows, maybe it could happen. puts it into perspective is suppose.

But i must comment on a few things..

1. they take the blackwall tunnel, knowing that zombies hang out in the dark, when they could have just as easily crossed one of many bridges.

2. they took nearly 2 days getting to manchester, the M1 was empty FFS. it would only take me a couple of hours in normal traffic.

3. squaddies needing a sh4g after 28 days............get real. ive spent 6 months away and on my return i didnt go round UK trying to rape the first thing with a pair of ****.

i could go on....
Old 25 August 2004, 01:52 PM
Senior_AP
Scooby Regular

Senior, I appreciate that, but zombies wouldn't pay much attention to being evacuated don't you think?

Evacuation before it got full of zombies, but I see your point. The zombies all p!ssed off to try and find more people to eat, hence why in the end they all died out.

The empty streets aided in the opening 'eariness' of the film.
Old 25 August 2004, 01:54 PM
angrynorth
Scooby Regular

but wouldnt they have all turned into zombies as well?

Yes, most probably but if they did, where the buggery were they?
Old 25 August 2004, 01:54 PM
darts_aint_sport
Scooby Regular

Why in their right minds did they 'capture' a zombie and keep it INSIDE their fortification? They had no gaps in their defense, could have sat there quite happily, with the guy strapped outside, but no, they keep him in the place he can do the most damage.

Last edited by darts_aint_sport; 25 August 2004 at 01:57 PM.
Old 25 August 2004, 01:58 PM
angrynorth
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Senior_AP
The empty streets aided in the opening 'eariness' of the film.
I agree it did add to the atmosphere but it also seemed to me like an excuse to make a talking point for the film to gain publicity as it makes the trailers very dramatic, without all the effort of having to make a decent film.

Saying all this though, I also like Finding Nemo as a movie, make of my opinion what you will.
Old 25 August 2004, 02:15 PM
messiah
Scooby Regular

I thought the changing the wheel sequence was crap - they were nearly at the end of the tunnel, and how four people managed not to think "why don't we just run on a flat tyre until we're in daylight" is beyond me.

Some elements were quite good - soundtrack was up to Danny Boyle's usual high standard - I just thought that overall it could have been made better - rather than using a filming technique to highlight a low budget.
Old 25 August 2004, 05:35 PM
Abdabz
Scooby Regular

Location: Tellins, Home of Super Leagues finest, and where a "split" is not all it seems.

No problem Angry North - Im a weird but honest one when it comes to films - eg I thought the Matrix films epitomised the word "flatulent" .
I'm amazed people have found faults with this film?? - only kiddin yes its floored, but it grabbed me for 108 mins and I enjoyed it so much that changing a tyre in a zombie infested tunnel didnt bother me - Im easily pleased. Neither did seeing David Stephens from Shallow Grave come back from the dead to be an army man bother me either .
P

Quick Reply: 28 Days Later...