Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Lessons Learned on the road

Search this Thread

Old 24 August 2004, 03:19 PM
Drunken Bungle Whore
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Lessons Learned on the road

Having driven over 30,000 miles this year all over the country from Launceston and Bournemouth to Glasgow and Gateshead, I have made the following observations and was wondering if any others have had the same experiences.

1. School holidays are a pain. The rush hour maybe quieter but the motorways are full of people who never usually drive on motorways and really don't have a clue! Added to this are the Dads who have got their hands on the people carrier and can be found caning the nuts off it up the fast lane of the M1.

2. The minimum speed limit on the M40 between junctions 1 and 10 is 90mph. Drop below this at your peril!

3. Old blokes who buy fast sports cars to try and recapture their youth still drive like old blokes.

4. If I am carved up or tailgated by another car there's an 80% chance it's a BMW and a 20% chance it's a Merc.

5. Once you understand how they need to drive, HGV drivers are some of the best drivers on the road. If they are tailgating you remember - they have a speed limiter set at 56MPH and if that's the speed you're doing on the motorway then you should leave at the next exit.

6. The traffic news informing you of a jam ahead always comes onto the radio about 200 yards after you've passed the last junction you could get off to avoid it.

7. Women with kids in the back are way more distracted than anyone driving with a hand held mobile phone.

There's loads more......
Old 24 August 2004, 03:25 PM
Graz
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Drunken Bungle *****
2. The minimum speed limit on the M40 between junctions 1 and 10 is 90mph. Drop below this at your peril!
What's wrong with that? If only all motorways were that quick.
Still loads of middle lane hoggers though.

Actually my only traffic offence was on that very stretch *cough* 95mph *cough*, one telling off and an SP50 = three points and £40 fine. Still no points now, I was young and foolish back then
Old 24 August 2004, 03:26 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

8. Summer means more luring pavement totty....can be rather distracting from the queue of staitonary traffic your heading towards

9. Diesel. You can't see, but boy don't you know when you slide on it.

10. Traffic information signs on the motorway:

Say "queue ahead" when there is nothing
Say "accident ahead" when you've just gone past the last junction
Say nothing when there is a huge pile up and big traffic jam

11. Gasto's only work on empty clear roads with no traffic.
Old 24 August 2004, 03:28 PM
King RA
BANNED

There was a bit on middle lane hoggers on the news last night?. At least it's getting some coverage now and not just brushed under the carpet.
Old 24 August 2004, 03:29 PM
fast bloke
Scooby Regular

Talking

or even - 9. Diesel that doesn't actually exist but you can't put totty on the insurance form?
Old 24 August 2004, 03:29 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

Originally Posted by fast bloke
or even - 9. Diesel that doesn't actually exist but you can't put totty on the insurance form?
Shhhhhh
Old 24 August 2004, 03:41 PM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

5. Once you understand how they need to drive, HGV drivers are some of the best drivers on the road. If they are tailgating you remember - they have a speed limiter set at 56MPH and if that's the speed you're doing on the motorway then you should leave at the next exit.
Hear, hear (OllyK dusts off his C+E)

Trending Topics

Old 24 August 2004, 03:46 PM
davegtt
Scooby Senior

3. Old blokes who buy fast sports cars to try and recapture their youth still drive like old blokes.
only because they spent their savings on that porker or ferrari they always wanted and their pension doesnt cover the cost of fuel
Old 24 August 2004, 03:48 PM
DBY
Scooby Regular

Smile

DH agree with all you say
Old 24 August 2004, 03:53 PM
Brendan Hughes
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

When I drove from Sussex to Cumbria and back in July/August I noticed the influence that the Channel Tunnel and the EU has on the south-east of England. In that the fastest lane on the motorway is the one on the left hand side.
Old 24 August 2004, 03:55 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Good post DBW.

Les
Old 24 August 2004, 03:59 PM
Drunken Bungle Whore
Scooby Regular

An another thing - will someone PLEASE make a selection of foodstuffs that can be consumed on the move? Sarnies in packs that don't require the strength and agility of an Olympic champion to open them. Sarnies that don't fly open at the far end when you take your first bite and distribute their contents in your lap.

And there should be a law that ALL drinks containers will fit in your cup holder!
Old 24 August 2004, 04:19 PM
fast bloke
Scooby Regular

Talking

And there should be a law that ALL drinks containers will fit in your cup holder!

get some decent quality cup holders that adjust themselves o fit all sizes of cup. Try BMW - That is why we are always tailgating you - we are busy making progress with out coffee being safely minded by the cupholder while you are faffing about in the outside lane holding a cup and trying to open a packet of sarnies instead of moving over
Old 24 August 2004, 05:07 PM
minor_threat
Scooby Regular

An another thing - will someone PLEASE make a selection of foodstuffs that can be consumed on the move? Sarnies in packs that don't require the strength and agility of an Olympic champion to open them. Sarnies that don't fly open at the far end when you take your first bite and distribute their contents in your lap.

Flapjacks get my vote. A splendid meal.

PS: Will you please post in the "Anyone's username a contradiction?" thread . . . I'm curious . . .
Old 24 August 2004, 06:10 PM
amber nectar
Scooby Regular

Having driven over 30,000 miles this year all over the country from Launceston and Bournemouth to Glasgow and Gateshead, I have made the following observations and was wondering if any others have had the same experiences.

1. School holidays are a pain. The rush hour maybe quieter but the motorways are full of people who never usually drive on motorways and really don't have a clue! Added to this are the Dads who have got their hands on the people carrier and can be found caning the nuts off it up the fast lane of the M1.

4. If I am carved up or tailgated by another car there's an 80% chance it's a BMW and a 20% chance it's a Merc.

6. The traffic news informing you of a jam ahead always comes onto the radio about 200 yards after you've passed the last junction you could get off to avoid it.

7. Women with kids in the back are way more distracted than anyone driving with a hand held mobile phone.

There's loads more......
To right damn good post
Old 24 August 2004, 10:04 PM
Drunken Bungle Whore
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by fast bloke
get some decent quality cup holders that adjust themselves o fit all sizes of cup. Try BMW - That is why we are always tailgating you - we are busy making progress with out coffee being safely minded by the cupholder while you are faffing about in the outside lane holding a cup and trying to open a packet of sarnies instead of moving over
Nice to know BMW drivers base their choice of car on the really important things....
Old 25 August 2004, 07:56 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

M3's dont have cupholders, you are supposed to get on with the driving bit!

Les
Old 25 August 2004, 10:16 AM
InvisibleMan
Scooby Regular

******** who dont look in their mirrors when changing lanes on a motorway. Its not against the law to undertake just cos its dangerous, its against the law because ******** dont look in their mirrors.
Priority is from the right so if you are indicating to the left cos you want to exit, the ******* in the middlelane accelerates cos they dont want you to "push in"

Had an ******* this morning going slow on the outside, plenty of empty space in the middle but does he move over no. Im getting to my exit so im indicating to the left judging enough space for a 747 to land between me the the lorry which i would be moving infront of. The ******* in the car then sharply pulls over wanting the same exit forcing me out of my middlelane and right into the lorry on the left. I have to brake hard then accelerate hard as a car behind goes into a sideslide to avoid.

The mutherfcuker doesnt even wave to say sorry & is baffled when i give him the ****** sign. Get off the road & learn to drive you *******
Old 25 August 2004, 11:09 AM
Jiggerypokery
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Six ********, one ****** and a motherfcuker in one post, pretty good going!
Old 25 August 2004, 11:32 AM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by InvisibleMan
******** who dont look in their mirrors when changing lanes on a motorway. Its not against the law to undertake just cos its dangerous, its against the law because ******** dont look in their mirrors.
Hate to be picky but that is why it is dangerous, and until recently cars in the UK didn't need to have a near side mirror either, so people didn't even have a mirror there to check.

I admit that the introduction of near side mirrors has had little impact for a great number of drivers who weren't using the two mirrors that they aleady had anyway and seem to think that the introduction of the nearside mirror was for cosmetic reasons to make the car look the same on both sides
Old 25 August 2004, 11:41 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

It was against the law to overtake on the left before motorways and dual carriageways were even invented!

Les
Old 25 August 2004, 11:47 AM
InvisibleMan
Scooby Regular

lol i was going to add afew *********** in there too

then dont, just let it go for once i just dont understand it, people are fine using them on normal roads but dont on motorways. Its illegal, like so many things cos of peoples incompetence & the easiest fix is just to make it illegal & not educate people to make them better

the mutherfookers

edited: before people start getting the idea i undertook which i didnt if i didnt make myself clear...

Last edited by InvisibleMan; 25 August 2004 at 11:49 AM.
Old 25 August 2004, 11:47 AM
Faire D'Income
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by OllyK
Hate to be picky but that is why it is dangerous, and until recently cars in the UK didn't need to have a near side mirror either, so people didn't even have a mirror there to check.

I admit that the introduction of near side mirrors has had little impact for a great number of drivers who weren't using the two mirrors that they aleady had anyway and seem to think that the introduction of the nearside mirror was for cosmetic reasons to make the car look the same on both sides
Olly, it's dangerous because drivers who fail to use mirrors correctly are usually the type of drivers who also fail to check their blind spots. You shouldn't just rely on your mirrors during manouevres.

On the subject of the M40, it seems de rigeur for female drivers to indicate and just pull out into the outside lane regardless of whether there is any traffic and it most often happens between the the M25 junction and the Oxford one. I've lost count of the times it's happened in the last couple of months.
Old 25 August 2004, 01:14 PM
Drunken Bungle Whore
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Faire D'Income
Olly, it's dangerous because drivers who fail to use mirrors correctly are usually the type of drivers who also fail to check their blind spots. You shouldn't just rely on your mirrors during manouevres.

On the subject of the M40, it seems de rigeur for female drivers to indicate and just pull out into the outside lane regardless of whether there is any traffic and it most often happens between the the M25 junction and the Oxford one. I've lost count of the times it's happened in the last couple of months.
OI! I'm a female and drive that stretch and NEVER do that!!

I think some of the most dangerous drivers are those who have no clue what to do when driving past an on ramp with cars joing the motorway!

Oh - and IM - I know oyu'd never undertake - at least not while your driving my car......
Old 25 August 2004, 02:50 PM
InvisibleMan
Scooby Regular

me? never...

i do seem to get them tho...a people carrier taking an eternity to join the motorway forcing the lorry behind to slow down & move into the middlelane. i flashed the nonce in the car, he looked but still carried on oblivious, making me behind physically come to a complete stop till i could move up behind the lorry. ive said it once but ill say it again...the nonce
Old 25 August 2004, 04:56 PM
Drunken Bungle Whore
Scooby Regular

Nonce? That's pretty tame for you today.....

I'm worried about what happens when you get home wanting your motherfcuking dinner.....
Old 25 August 2004, 04:58 PM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

motherfcuking dinner.....
Stop right there...I have visions of elongated "That's Life" style root vegatables and it isn't pleasant
Old 25 August 2004, 05:00 PM
Drunken Bungle Whore
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Leslie
It was against the law to overtake on the left before motorways and dual carriageways were even invented!

Les
Is that beacause there was only one carriageway so it would have involved driving through fields and hedges at that point...?

Old 25 August 2004, 07:00 PM
Faire D'Income
Scooby Regular

OI! I'm a female and drive that stretch and NEVER do that!!

I think some of the most dangerous drivers are those who have no clue what to do when driving past an on ramp with cars joing the motorway!
I'm glad to hear it. As far as I'm aware there is no regulation that requires vehicle already on the carriageway to make way for vehicles entering but it doesn't take Einstein to realise that by looking ahead you can calculate relative speeds and move over accordingly in order to help the traffic flow.

However, another trend seems to be for numpties to enter the motorway as slowly as possible which turns a fairly simple manouevre into a potentially dangerous one. Unfortunately, there are too many drivers out there who aren't prepared to admit they're crap and need some further training and unfortunately I'm one of the ones that isn't too hot.
Old 26 August 2004, 08:32 AM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Faire D'Income
Unfortunately, there are too many drivers out there who aren't prepared to admit they're crap and need some further training and unfortunately I'm one of the ones that isn't too hot.
Get in touch with the Institute of Advanced Motorists and also read the book Roadcraft. The IAM test includes some motorway driving and what you will learn as a whole won't turn you in to a track day demon but it is damn useful for day to day driving.

Quick Reply: Lessons Learned on the road