Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

civic type r bumped in car park

Search this Thread

Old 14 August 2004, 07:34 PM
subevo
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default civic type r bumped in car park

ok wife comes back to car to find a note on windscreen saying some woman reversed into her car.the note lists the reg no. and the type of car but is not signed.due to it being a supermarket carpark what is chances of getting the other persons insurance details.am i correct in saying the police view this as a civil matter and will not be interested.or would you need an independant witness to come forward for this to be progressed.if the police contact the other person and they deny it does that mean were stuffed?the car suffered minor damage to the rear bumper.but its the principal plus its still going to cost money to repair.
Old 14 August 2004, 07:48 PM
AndyC_772
Scooby Regular

There's not a lot you can do with a reg no. on your own - you might be able to look up the make & model (some insurance companies' web sites do this, try requesting a quote), but you'll need the police to track them down.

Failure to stop and give details is, I believe, an offence under the Road Traffic Act and carries 9 penalty points, so the police should in theory be interested. It shouldn't be impossible for them to pay a visit to the owner of the other car and check it for damage. If they find your car's paint on it, you could have a result.

Nothing to lose by calling the coppers IMHO - make them work for a motorist for a change...
Old 14 August 2004, 08:25 PM
andrewdelvard
Scooby Regular

'FIND' a witness if thats a problem. Play the sobs the way they played you.
Old 14 August 2004, 08:35 PM
Scooby96
Scooby Regular

Do the online RAC checker to see what car it is and go looking for it whilst the police amble round sometime next week
Old 14 August 2004, 09:04 PM
fitzscoob
Scooby Regular

call the police and explain the situation or better yet tell your insurance company the storey. They can contact the other person from reg no.
Old 14 August 2004, 09:07 PM
Ian_S
Scooby Regular

"find" the witness that left the note, make sure not tracable to you.
your insurance and police will find out their insurance details through the motor insurance database, police will also do them for leaving scene of accident and failing to report. looking at 6 points for leaving
Old 14 August 2004, 09:08 PM
subevo
Scooby Regular

update, i have a witness who says it was a female driving a white rover.and is willing to give a statement for insurance purposes only. and will not go to court over it.i phoned the police and they said i would have to come down and fill out a road traffic accident report.they will then contact said witness to confirm then go and speak to other driver.then i would have to contact my insurer who will then contact the police and only then will insurance details be released to my insurer.this may put my witness in a sticky position and am grateful for an insurance statement from her.can the police force my witness to go to court or do you think this is unlikely.all i want is insurance details.considering the prang happened in a car park.
Old 14 August 2004, 09:16 PM
Ian_S
Scooby Regular

if you put it through your insurance they will contact her insurance, they will get her ins details easily enough (i could get them on monday) from reg alone. once faced with indepenant witness evidence her ins will prob cave in anyway, with us we would just tell our insured to take the claim against them.
unlikely to go to court

ps tried cctv from supermarket?
Old 15 August 2004, 12:56 PM
rx-ion
Scooby Newbie

go ask the scooper market if they have any cctv ma mams old jag got a bump the guy waited for us but his inshurence still wanted the cctv :S