Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Fuel Cards - 2 Main Questions

Search this Thread

Old 13 August 2004, 11:34 PM
Puff The Magic Wagon!
Support Scoobynet!

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts
Question Fuel Cards - 2 Main Questions

1) Who is best? Who gives the widest coverage? Cheapest? Prefer one that covered multitude of main forecourts (BP, Esso, Texaco etc). Any other comments?

2) Tax implications of using a fuel card? As it says really, both for personal & business.

Ta!
Old 13 August 2004, 11:41 PM
Phil
Track Day Organiser

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We use the kwikfit card which is overdrive based and you can use this ANYWHERE

not sure of the tax implications I am allowed private fuel so I pay the normal scale rate
Old 14 August 2004, 12:41 PM
Chris L
Scooby Regular

Talking

Puff - we use All Star at work. In terms of coverage - put it this way: I've not been into a petrol station anywhere in the UK where it has been refused.

Tax implications - I have a fuel card for use with my Scoob (my own car) - all purchases (fuel and oil) are treated by the Inland Revenue as untaxed income. Therefore the total amount of fuel I've bought appears on my P11D each year as a taxable benefit. As a higher rate taxpayer, I'm liable to pay 40% of that amount in tax. However, all business mileage can be offset to reduce this figure.

Because I have the fuel card, I don't claim mileage expenses at work, so I can offset the full amount that the IR allows (45p a mile for the first business 9000 miles - something like that can't remember all the figures). Bascially, I'm normally left with a tax bill of between £300 and £500, depending on the amount of miles I've done. This is deducted via PAYE with a tax code adjustment. So It's actually costing me roughly £40 a month in tax to fuel the Scoob - not bad really

Chris
Old 14 August 2004, 02:14 PM
ProperCharlie
Scooby Regular

we use allstar as well - they seem like the best way to go.

i have heard that the best way to go in terms of tax (depending on your personal milage) is to use the fuel card for business miles only, as that way there is no taxable benefit.
Old 14 August 2004, 02:25 PM
C
Scooby Regular

Another Allstar user here - in 4 years i've never not found someone who will use it

Also as my company isn't hot on mileage/reg's at all occasionally I seem to forget & just happen to pay for my own fuel with it! Silly me!
Old 14 August 2004, 02:26 PM
scoobyjimbo
Scooby Regular

Guys
I work for Arval PHH who own and operate the alstar fuel card and it is the market leader in terms of fuel cards. We also operate other fuel cards for the fuel companies etc, so most of them are controlled by us. I have one and you cant go wrong, they are accepted all over the country and aborad. Any more questions let me know and if i cant help you I can forward your request onto the relevant person.
I believe for the tax as has already been mentioned that you should try and use it only for company fuel, but that is up to you i guess..

try the arval site for more info.. www.arvalphh.co.uk
cheers
J
Old 14 August 2004, 02:27 PM
ProperCharlie
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by C
Also as my company isn't hot on mileage/reg's at all occasionally I seem to forget & just happen to pay for my own fuel with it! Silly me!
surely that could *never* happen?