Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Calling all legal boffins!! Need help urgent!

Search this Thread

Old 13 August 2004, 05:13 PM
EvilKyote
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Calling all legal boffins!! Need help urgent! (RESULT)! :D

Hi guys,

I made a mistake by way of using Motorlink services to sell my car.

After repeated phones calls, must have been about 11 or 12 and telling them I wasn't interested, I finally decided to give them a try:

During the signup over the phone here is was they said and promised.

They only contact a seller if they have people interested in their type of car
They do not contact anyone if they don't have a buyer for their type of car

They promised me that they had several buyers and that they would definitly contact me within 48 hours.

This was monday, haven't heard diddly squat from them since, not only that but the put the wrong price up on my car ad as well :@

I found out my rights and that under the Distant Selling Regulation (which covers telesales, fax, internet, TV etc)

Distance selling regulations - cancellation periods
The regulations give consumers an unconditional right to cancel an order.

This is to allow the consumer the opportunity to examine the goods or consider the nature of a service.
If a consumer cancels an order, written notice must be given to you by:
• goods – seven working days from the day after that on which the goods are received by the consumer;
• services – seven working days from the day after that on which the consumer agrees to go ahead with the contract.

I phoned them and they repeatedly tell me that I am not entitled to a refund

I eventually threatened legal action and they still did not seem willing to help.

I have typed up the following letter which I intend to send via both e-mail and postal mail.

MOTORLINK SERVICES LIMITED
CROWN HOUSE
TURNERS HILL
CHESHUNT
HERTFORDSHIRE EN8 8NN

FAO Managing Director

Dear Sir/Madam,

After many repeated calls from your company pestering me to buy your services and after repeatedly stating that I was not interested I reluctantly signed up on Monday 9th August 2004.

I was promised that at least one buyer was lined up for my car and also promised that I would receive a call from buyers within 48 hours to arrange seeing the car.

As of today, being Friday 13th August 2004 I have heard nothing from your company or apparent buyers in any form, I have not received ANY of the services. I also note that you are in breach of the Sales of Goods Act. Not only this but I also note that my Advert is incorrect with regards to the price.

After speaking to one of your customer service representatives I am now putting my request for a refund in writing to you that I expect you to honour.

Under the Distance Selling Regulations I am entitled to a FULL and UNCONDITIONAL refund by way of notifying you within 7 working days not including the day the services were purchased.

To Quote:
The regulations give consumers an unconditional right to cancel an order. This is to allow the consumer the opportunity to examine the goods or consider the nature of a service.
If a consumer cancels an order, written notice must be given to you by:
• goods – seven working days from the day after that on which the goods are received by the consumer;
• services – seven working days from the day after that on which the consumer agrees to go ahead with the contract.
And

You must refund the consumer's money as soon as possible and, at the latest, within 30 days of receiving the written notice of cancellation

I expect to have a FULL refund, if I do not I will be taking Legal Action against you in the small claims division of the County Court.

Regards

Looking for advice on where I stand and what to do next!!! HELP!

Last edited by EvilKyote; 17 August 2004 at 01:02 PM.
Old 13 August 2004, 05:16 PM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

How did you pay? If Credit Card notify them that you have not recieved the services you paid for a require them to stop the payment and refund you.
Old 13 August 2004, 05:18 PM
EvilKyote
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by OllyK
How did you pay? If Credit Card notify them that you have not recieved the services you paid for a require them to stop the payment and refund you.
Yeah by credit card, already notified bank and initiated a transaction dispute.
Old 13 August 2004, 05:23 PM
Paulo P
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I don't want to sound harsh because I've been there before too but you should have known better I got tucked up like this about 6-7 years ago when it wasn't as well known

Last edited by Paulo P; 13 August 2004 at 05:25 PM. Reason: Longer ago than I thought!
Old 13 August 2004, 05:30 PM
EvilKyote
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Originally Posted by paulpalmer
I don't want to sound harsh because I've been there before too but you should have known better I got tucked up like this about 6-7 years ago when it wasn't as well known
Yeah thanks paul, I feel bad enough as it is so please no more I told you so's or you should have known better's. Can't change whats happened.

Just need to do what I can to get my money back from them
Old 13 August 2004, 05:35 PM
MarkCSC
Scooby Regular

The credit card company will give you your money back as a matter of course. It will then be up Motorlink to prove you had the goods promised.
However under the distance selling act they won't have a leg to stand on. Probably won't even contest the claim with the credit card company.
Old 13 August 2004, 05:44 PM
fast bloke
Scooby Regular

send the letter recorded delivery and send a copy to your card company with an explanation.
Old 13 August 2004, 06:53 PM
AndyC_772
Scooby Regular

Good letter. Send it recorded delivery to make sure you can prove it was delivered. Also call them up and ask for their address for service of legal documents - it'll probably be a solicitor's address. They're legally obliged to provide this.

Personally I've always wanted to know who all these buyers are who are incapable of just reading a copy of Auto Trader for themselves like the rest of us...
Old 13 August 2004, 09:29 PM
Paulo P
Scooby Regular

Red face

Originally Posted by EvilKyote
Yeah thanks paul, I feel bad enough as it is so please no more I told you so's or you should have known better's. Can't change whats happened.

Just need to do what I can to get my money back from them
Sorry Like I said though I got caught too what you might also need to do is tell them that you are contacting watchdog because I believe they've featured a few of these companies and scams before and then copy them in on an email to watchdog That should put the wind up 'em
Old 13 August 2004, 10:01 PM
Chris L
Scooby Regular

Follow up your threat and take them to the small claims court!
Old 17 August 2004, 01:00 PM
EvilKyote
Scooby Regular

Cool

**UPDATE**

Ok, Well I think i have finally gotten somewhere with this.

The letter I posted at first I sent via recorded delivery on sat and got a call from their customer services manager who gave me the usual waffle about looking into why i hadn't received the service that I had expected blah blah blah!!

He also seemed to think that as a company they were exempt from the distance selling regulations

Dunno how they worked that one out.

Anyway he was like blah blah blah sorry sorry sorry, no you can't have a refund blah blah blah.

now I was expecting this sort of bullsh*t from them so I had planned ahead! I had called my bank last week to dispute the transaction.

Got a few replies from them asking me to confirm that I had still not received the service, what the company was and the amount.

Did that, and today got a reply from my bank saying they were reversing the visa charge and that the money will be refunded back into my bank account

Result

Juts waiting for confirmation that this has been completed

Anyway thanks for your suggestions guys! Looks like i won't have to take them to court after all.
Old 17 August 2004, 01:39 PM
Paulo P
Scooby Regular

Cool

**UPDATE**

Ok, Well I think i have finally gotten somewhere with this.

The letter I posted at first I sent via recorded delivery on sat and got a call from their customer services manager who gave me the usual waffle about looking into why i hadn't received the service that I had expected blah blah blah!!

He also seemed to think that as a company they were exempt from the distance selling regulations

Dunno how they worked that one out.

Anyway he was like blah blah blah sorry sorry sorry, no you can't have a refund blah blah blah.

now I was expecting this sort of bullsh*t from them so I had planned ahead! I had called my bank last week to dispute the transaction.

Got a few replies from them asking me to confirm that I had still not received the service, what the company was and the amount.

Did that, and today got a reply from my bank saying they were reversing the visa charge and that the money will be refunded back into my bank account

Result

Juts waiting for confirmation that this has been completed

Anyway thanks for your suggestions guys! Looks like i won't have to take them to court after all.
Nice one I only wish more people would do this so you can stop them trading I'd be tempted to phone them up and say "I got my money back thanks"
Old 17 August 2004, 01:56 PM
Dracoro
Scooby Regular

Nice one I only wish more people would do this so you can stop them trading
Or don't use them in the first place. That WILL stop them trading!
Old 17 August 2004, 02:34 PM
Paulo P
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Dracoro
Or don't use them in the first place. That WILL stop them trading!
There are far too many stoopid people for that to happen
Old 17 August 2004, 03:48 PM
EvilKyote
Scooby Regular

There are far too many stoopid people for that to happen
Are you trying to tell me something?
Old 17 August 2004, 03:51 PM
Paulo P
Scooby Regular

Old 17 August 2004, 03:52 PM
Paulo P
Scooby Regular

Wink

Are you trying to tell me something?

Me I don't know what you mean
Old 17 August 2004, 03:53 PM
EvilKyote
Scooby Regular

Cool

Guess that makes two of us then huh paul?
Old 17 August 2004, 03:57 PM
Paulo P
Scooby Regular

Err.....yes
Old 17 August 2004, 03:58 PM
Tiggs
Scooby Regular

put MOTORLINK in Goggle and the 2nd and 3rd link are about being conned...not to mention search on SN......No excuse to get stitched up by these idiots.
Old 17 August 2004, 04:05 PM
imlach
Scooby Regular

You don't even need Google. If you've already placed an ad for your car in Autotrader/local rag/supermarket, you've probably done some considered investigation into the best places to sell a car...

Yet when some muppet from "insert unknown company name here" phones up and offers you some amazing deal and a whizzy way to sell your car (and probably a method you've never heard of, even although you've done some investigation), so many people cough up cash! If it is so successful, why did you not find out about them in your intial investigation. ie, if you haven't heard of them, how do you think the rest of the car buying public have???? Seen them advertised on tv or in the press? Nope. Say no more.

It truly is amazing. Fair play to the companies doing this. They're not doing a huge amount wrong (apart from perhaps misrepresentation of their success). If people want to shell out on some phone speil, more fool them.

My rule is simple & foolproof. NEVER buy anything from unsolicited calls or door-to-door selling. NEVER!

Last edited by imlach; 17 August 2004 at 04:14 PM.
Old 17 August 2004, 07:39 PM
Dazza01
Scooby Regular

Smile

And the moral of the story is....................

Never ever trust people who ring YOU up and say i can sell ur ......

when placing an ad always put NC at the end of it