Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Bloody biddy drivers

Search this Thread

Old 13 August 2004, 11:03 AM
skoobidude
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Bloody biddy drivers

Apprached a large round-a-bout on my way to work which splits into 4 lanes -All lanes clearly marked as to which way you can go on them. i.e. I was going straight on so chose the third lane (2nd lane is straight on too). Now this has happened before on said island:
I was about half way around when an old woman in the lane too my left decided to start drifing over into the lane I was in causing me to brake so we would avoid collision.
I ended up along side her after exiting the island, so I decided to open my window and give her some grief.

I said "stick in the same lane if you intend to go striaght on, there was no need to drift into another lane"

She said "Middle lane for stright on, right lane for turning right"

Silly cow! So I said "there are 2 middle lanes you silly cow, try reading the bloody road markings next time"

And she said "ok, ok, I'm sorry I'm sorry".
She obviously thought that I was going to murder her or something so I just smiled and shook my head, then calmly drove on.

Annoys me the way things turn around in these situations. Made ME feel that I was in the wrong!

/rant mode off!

Nick
Old 13 August 2004, 11:11 AM
Dracoro
Scooby Regular

She got it wrong
You told her
She apoligised
Everyone's happy, no?
Old 13 August 2004, 11:21 AM
skoobidude
Scooby Regular

Yes mate, I'm happy. In fairness, the point is that many roads are becomming more complicated with new layouts such as traffic calming chicanes etc.
Many people seem to have different ideas as to how to go about translating roadsigns/road layouts these days.

A very happy, Nick
Old 13 August 2004, 11:39 AM
Prince Popeye
BANNED

'there are 2 middle lanes you silly cow, try reading the bloody road markings next time'

Old 13 August 2004, 01:15 PM
Scumbag
Scooby Regular

Anyone else noticed the inability of 80% of the driving population to keep to their lan on even a 2-lane roundabout?
2 lanes in, 2 lanes round, one lane out to all exits. The numpty in the inside lane NEVER sticks to the lane round the edge, and ALWAYS cuts across (even when there are lane markings).
I know its going to happen, so always watch for it...but most people just havent got a clue. That and the buggers who insist on cutting corners when turning right (across traffic) from a main road into a sidestreet, forcing some poor git (like me!) to slam the anchors on 5 feet short of the junction markings.
All because they cant be bothered to turn the soddin' wheel a bit more
</rant mode>
Old 13 August 2004, 01:27 PM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Scumbag
Anyone else noticed the inability of 80% of the driving population to keep to their lan on even a 2-lane roundabout?
2 lanes in, 2 lanes round, one lane out to all exits. The numpty in the inside lane NEVER sticks to the lane round the edge, and ALWAYS cuts across (even when there are lane markings).
I know its going to happen, so always watch for it...but most people just havent got a clue. That and the buggers who insist on cutting corners when turning right (across traffic) from a main road into a sidestreet, forcing some poor git (like me!) to slam the anchors on 5 feet short of the junction markings.
All because they cant be bothered to turn the soddin' wheel a bit more
</rant mode>
I think you will find most of the lane markings are broken white lines and as such it is fine to straighten the roundabout out as long as it is safe to do so. The problem is that most muppets do it without checking what is around them first.
Old 13 August 2004, 01:33 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

My golden rule for modern day roudabout roulette: Don't stay long side a car. Difficult in rush hour, but it saves me the grief of being side swiped.

Lane disapline is non existent these day IMO. Especially when Islands are bing built/modified with completely wrong lane markings round the island. A lovely example is the Junction 4 Isalnd on the M5 Bromsgrove. 5 entrances/exits: left lane for the 1st and 2nd exits, middle for 2nd and 3rd exit and right lane for 3rd and 4th. Add to the carnage 4 sets of traffic lights 50yards apart. The result is driver using the left lane for the 3rd and 4th exits and blocking people in the right lanes filtering to the left and exiting the island. Everybody now uses the 1st and 2nd lanes now as they are so peeved off at trying to get off the island properly using the correct lane before the next set of light. Madness, the island used to work perfectly with it's original 1970's markings. Then in the 90's some nutcase road engineer with his fresh degree thinks its all wrong and goes and ***** it all up!

I know what you mean about drivers not turning the wheel enough at junctions too. Well it's more than that, it's completely the wrong manouvering technique. They turn too early and not enough, fine if it's an empty juction, but when traffic is approaching it's bloody lethal.
Old 13 August 2004, 02:08 PM
Scumbag
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ALi-B
My golden rule for modern day roudabout roulette: Don't stay long side a car. Difficult in rush hour, but it saves me the grief of being side swiped.

Lane disapline is non existent these day IMO. Especially when Islands are bing built/modified with completely wrong lane markings round the island. A lovely example is the Junction 4 Isalnd on the M5 Bromsgrove. .
Was just thinking you had to be a midlander to be calling them "islands"...try giving directions to some dopy southerner who thinks an "island" is the central reservation..."right at the next island" had someone completely confused, (and turning down sidestreets). Know that island well...my Dad lives in Catshill (a full mile from there)...whether I'm joining or leaving the M5 there, you always have to spend 80% of your time working out what the hell other people are trying to do.
Completely agree about staying alongside cars...I try and extend that to lorries/white vans/volvos etc etc on m-ways/dual carriageways too
Old 13 August 2004, 02:14 PM
mattstant
Scooby Regular

Angry

stupid ****ing bitch in a merc sl Did something similair to me at a small roundabout recently and she gives ME grief.

I appraoch said roundabout and it splits into 2 lanes with both lanes allowing you to go straight on and clearly marked as such.
the car ahead of me pulls to the left and indicates left so i move to the right and wait pateintly for a lorry to negotiate the island maentime said fcukwit in merc has pulled alongside me so we both go straight over the island with herflooring it and effectively undertaking me on the island whislt giving me verbals tried to follow her and remonstrate and teach her the error of her ways but traffic was to heavy and and after 1/2 mile following her i couldnt be arsed anymore
Old 13 August 2004, 02:14 PM
Scumbag
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by OllyK
I think you will find most of the lane markings are broken white lines and as such it is fine to straighten the roundabout out as long as it is safe to do so. The problem is that most muppets do it without checking what is around them first.
I agree, however, I think the problem is habit. People get used to not staying to lanes, and then havent been paying much attention, and assume that they can do it all the time. I find the same with things like indicating to change lanes. Personally, I always do...doesnt hurt if there isnt anyone around, but it is a habit. The number of times I see people changing lanes in busy traffic, and not indicating is scary...usually no problems in the manoeuver itself, but just no signalling of intent

I'll get off me soap-box !!
Old 13 August 2004, 02:25 PM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

I agree, however, I think the problem is habit. People get used to not staying to lanes, and then havent been paying much attention, and assume that they can do it all the time. I find the same with things like indicating to change lanes. Personally, I always do...doesnt hurt if there isnt anyone around, but it is a habit. The number of times I see people changing lanes in busy traffic, and not indicating is scary...usually no problems in the manoeuver itself, but just no signalling of intent

I'll get off me soap-box !!
I only indicate when necessary. That came about as part of my training prior to taking the IAM test.

To indicate only when necessary ensures that you really have had a good look around and have determined what vehicles around you may be affected by your manoeveur and thus what the risks are and if you actually need to indicate. To just indicate for the sake of it may lead to a laziness in your observations as is generally just "easier" than having to think about it.
Old 13 August 2004, 02:34 PM
Scumbag
Scooby Regular

I only indicate when necessary. That came about as part of my training prior to taking the IAM test.

To indicate only when necessary ensures that you really have had a good look around and have determined what vehicles around you may be affected by your manoeveur and thus what the risks are and if you actually need to indicate. To just indicate for the sake of it may lead to a laziness in your observations as is generally just "easier" than having to think about it.
Interesting...not sure I agree, but I see the point.
Many people think they are aware of what is happening around them, but have missed something. In that case, not indicating can be a nightmare. At least if you have missed something/someone, the act of indicating can at least act as a warning to what you have missed, that you are just about to do something daft. Again I would argue it is a good habit, completely separate from observational skills...we all know how good most drivers are at those!! If everyone was of IAM standard, then I would fully concur.
Old 13 August 2004, 02:43 PM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

Interesting...not sure I agree, but I see the point.
Many people think they are aware of what is happening around them, but have missed something. In that case, not indicating can be a nightmare. At least if you have missed something/someone, the act of indicating can at least act as a warning to what you have missed, that you are just about to do something daft. Again I would argue it is a good habit, completely separate from observational skills...we all know how good most drivers are at those!! If everyone was of IAM standard, then I would fully concur.
I can see your side of things. A similar argument is discused in the context of speed limits and speed cameras, in that rather than people determining what is a safe speed for the conditions around them, they are being taught that providing they are not exceeding the speed limit they are safe (I think this is what started this thread off). So would we be better to promote driver attention and perhaps remove speed limits everywhere bar perhaps outside schools etc and make people think about it? It would possibly be a disaster but then again it may not.

As far as I am concerned anything that gets the large proportion of drivers out the vegatitive state they seem to be in has to be a good thing. Being alert and making numerous desisions all helps that process IMO.
Old 13 August 2004, 02:46 PM
pugoetru
Scooby Regular

I get this all the time i have got good at telling which ones are going to cut across when i come home i come to a roundabout with 3 entry lanes 2+3 go straight on 1 goes left common sense you would think.

everyone goes in middle lane then cuts across to right lane effectivelly straightening the corner

I pick my victim then i match there speed in the right lane they generally go to cut the corner then realise they cant

My thinking is if i do it often enough some people will learn or at least pay more attention hence better drivers

COULD IT WORK ?
Old 13 August 2004, 02:52 PM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by pugoetru
I get this all the time i have got good at telling which ones are going to cut across when i come home i come to a roundabout with 3 entry lanes 2+3 go straight on 1 goes left common sense you would think.

everyone goes in middle lane then cuts across to right lane effectivelly straightening the corner

I pick my victim then i match there speed in the right lane they generally go to cut the corner then realise they cant

My thinking is if i do it often enough some people will learn or at least pay more attention hence better drivers

COULD IT WORK ?
My money is on you getting a dented wing or a kicking
Old 13 August 2004, 02:54 PM
pugoetru
Scooby Regular

Well if they dent my wing it would be their fault for not staying in lane so wont affect my no claims will it
Old 13 August 2004, 02:54 PM
Scumbag
Scooby Regular

COULD IT WORK ?
It could...but you might also get side-swiped...is it worth the risk?

I <tactfully> pointed out the changing of lanes to a couple of girlies I had been a passenger with, but they really couldnt see what I was trying to say...as a passenger I always find myself looking over into the drivers blind spot, and wincing at the carnage behind when it happens now...I dispair!!
Old 13 August 2004, 02:56 PM
dharbige
Scooby Regular

There are road users other than vehicles that may be affected by your manouver. Pedestrians, for example, and they're a lot more difficult to spot.

My own indicating phylosophy is Always indicate - unless you're 100% CERTAIN there is nobody else anywhere near you. Which pretty much means always indicate.
Old 13 August 2004, 02:57 PM
Scumbag
Scooby Regular

Well if they dent my wing it would be their fault for not staying in lane so wont affect my no claims will it
only if you've got witnesses...they'll claim you were making a dangerous manouver at speed, and came into their lane as you tried to overtake them, and it would go down to a 50-50 your word against theirs...more's the pity!
Old 13 August 2004, 02:57 PM
Tiggs
Scooby Regular

love being in the blacked out galaxy with this...just stuff it up the inside....as they drift over they realise they are heading for the A Team van and get back in lane
Old 13 August 2004, 02:59 PM
pugoetru
Scooby Regular

The fact is i am not going to sit in a que of 10 cars waiting for their turn to cut the corner when there is an empty lane it is similar to the middle lane crap on the motorway

if the inside lane is empty i WILL undertake them why should i move accross 3 lanes then back again just because someone else cant obey the rules
Old 13 August 2004, 03:04 PM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by dharbige
There are road users other than vehicles that may be affected by your manouver. Pedestrians, for example, and they're a lot more difficult to spot.

My own indicating phylosophy is Always indicate - unless you're 100% CERTAIN there is nobody else anywhere near you. Which pretty much means always indicate.
Yes and my argument still holds, observation is the key, including pedestrians, animals etc etc. Try doing the IAM test and do a running commentary while you are driving, it is a real eye opener. You are constantly assessing possible "threats" and looking for exit routes (that includes braking) to avoid the threats becoming accidents. We all do that anyway, otherwise we would crash within a few seconds of setting off, it's just how far you widen your window of assessement.
Old 13 August 2004, 03:06 PM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

The fact is i am not going to sit in a que of 10 cars waiting for their turn to cut the corner when there is an empty lane it is similar to the middle lane crap on the motorway

if the inside lane is empty i WILL undertake them why should i move accross 3 lanes then back again just because someone else cant obey the rules
Because somebody is breaking a "rule" it makes it OK for you to go and break a different one?? Not sure I follow that logic.
Old 13 August 2004, 03:11 PM
stevencotton
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Park Street roundabout is the worst I've ever seen for this, the roundabout isn't circular so you really do have to follow the lanes or you'll hit someone.

I've not seen a single person drive around there properly and I have to take extremely cautious avoiding action every single time I drive through
Old 13 August 2004, 03:15 PM
pugoetru
Scooby Regular

Question

Because somebody is breaking a "rule" it makes it OK for you to go and break a different one?? Not sure I follow that logic.

I just feel that we need to make full use of the available road if my lane is empty for 1 mile in front of me and the other 2 lanes are full of cars should i join the other cars just to make progress ?
Old 13 August 2004, 03:24 PM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

I just feel that we need to make full use of the available road if my lane is empty for 1 mile in front of me and the other 2 lanes are full of cars should i join the other cars just to make progress ?
A rhetorical question me-thinks. Morally you are correct, legally you are on questionable ground at best.
Old 13 August 2004, 03:33 PM
pugoetru
Scooby Regular

Maybe we need more people to get on their moral high horse then don't we

And tell that tosser down in london to shake up our ancient motoring laws
Old 13 August 2004, 05:05 PM
skoobidude
Scooby Regular

Blimey, it seems I have started something here!

Nick
Old 15 August 2004, 11:37 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

You must have felt a real gentleman for telling an elderly person what you did in such a polite manner.

Old 15 August 2004, 11:51 AM
NotoriousREV
Scooby Regular

I had some guy in a crappy old Escrot decide that he would go from the slip road onto the motorway directly into lane 3 at about 85mph without checking his mirrors or his blind spot. Unfortunately, I was in his blindspot in lane 3 doing about 80. Luckily I relaised what he was going to do as he did it, jumped on the brakes VERY hard and missed his back bumper by inches (I actually thought we were definately going to hit, it was that close).

He put his hand up by way of an apology, for his trouble I gave him the coffee bean shake, at which point he pulled into the middle lane so I overtook him and gve him the finger and shook my head, so he mouthed the words "pull over, then!", so I did, straight into the hard shoulder and got out of my car and walked over to his. Turns out he was about 6ft 4", anyway he apologised for not checking his mirrors and seemed genuinely upset I'd called him a ****** after his first "apology". I called him a *****, told him to **** off and learn to drive, got back in my car and drove off, thanking my lucky stars he didn't decide to batter me.

Why does driving these days induce so much bad feeling?

Quick Reply: Bloody biddy drivers