Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

US to execute 74 year old

Search this Thread

Old 05 August 2004, 01:20 PM
MattW
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default US to execute 74 year old

Stories in the papers about this guy http://www.ccadp.org/jameshubbard.htm. Has spent longer in jail on death row than you would for murder in this country, his execution is scheduled for today.

Quite amazing for a civilised country.
Old 05 August 2004, 01:26 PM
zilch
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Originally Posted by MattW
Stories in the papers about this guy http://www.ccadp.org/jameshubbard.htm. Has spent longer in jail on death row than you would for murder in this country, his execution is scheduled for today.

Quite amazing for a civilised country.
Nothing surprises me, heard some states sign the death warrants off against people who commited crimes as minors, as well as those who are not fully compus mentus.

Cheers

Jim
Old 05 August 2004, 02:09 PM
imlach
Scooby Regular

I'm not sure of the slant you've put on this by emphasising the man's age (74).

That, in itself, is no reason to pity. A person who murders at any age is a murderer, and should pay the price.

The point in this case, is that his conviction is not certain. THAT is what the issue is, and not his age.
Old 05 August 2004, 02:12 PM
MattW
Scooby Regular

The slant I was trying to show was he has spent 27 years in jail, and then will be executed. If he were in the UK it is likely he will have served his sentence and been released.
Old 05 August 2004, 02:15 PM
imlach
Scooby Regular

The slant I was trying to show was he has spent 27 years in jail, and then will be executed. If he were in the UK it is likely he will have served his sentence and been released.
Murderers NEVER finish serving their sentence in the UK. They are released 'on licence' and can be re-imprisoned at any time. Life means life in terms of the sentence. It just may not all be spent in prison.
Old 05 August 2004, 02:19 PM
tucker101uk
Scooby Regular

I wonder if he got the needle....
Old 05 August 2004, 02:24 PM
Clarebabes
Scooby Regular

That website is actually quite sad. I just read through a few details of the inmates and some of them seem intelligent and like nice people!!

I know that you are not told what they did, but the thought of being put to death is actually repulsive to me.

Trending Topics

Old 05 August 2004, 02:29 PM
MattW
Scooby Regular

Have a look at the guy in Texas

http://ccadp.org/richardcartwright.htm
Old 05 August 2004, 02:43 PM
Sub97
Scooby Regular

"If he were in the UK it is likely he will have served his sentence and been released."

I dont understand what it has to do with Britain though? He committed the crime in America, so he has to be punished by their laws.
Old 05 August 2004, 02:48 PM
Diablo
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Clarebabes
That website is actually quite sad. I just read through a few details of the inmates and some of them seem intelligent and like nice people!!
Intelligent and nice people can commit attrocities too though.
Old 05 August 2004, 02:51 PM
angrynorth
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Sub97
"If he were in the UK it is likely he will have served his sentence and been released."

I dont understand what it has to do with Britain though? He committed the crime in America, so he has to be punished by their laws.
It has nothing to do with Britain. Its just the daily "bash the dumb yanks" thread.
Old 05 August 2004, 03:09 PM
MattW
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by angrynorth
It has nothing to do with Britain. Its just the daily "bash the dumb yanks" thread.

not at all

I don't believe in the Death Penalty and find it all very sad, read upsetting.
Old 05 August 2004, 03:10 PM
MattW
Scooby Regular

Good point. That makes it ok then.
Old 05 August 2004, 03:14 PM
angrynorth
Scooby Regular

You break the law, you face the punishment.

It's like complaining that speed cameras are unfair. If you go past one faster than the speed limit, you broke the law - face the punishment.

You know what the law is and you know the penalties for breaking it.
Old 05 August 2004, 03:16 PM
imlach
Scooby Regular

I don't believe in the Death Penalty and find it all very sad, read upsetting.
Be interested to hear of any research into the thoughts of families/relatives affected by the murder of a loved one....

What % of them support the death penalty, as opposed to the majority of us who have no experience of such grief....

Do you think YOU would change your view on capital punishment if affected by murder in your own life?
Old 05 August 2004, 03:20 PM
tiggers
Scooby Regular

Yeah the SN opinion of the US as the dumbest nation on earth not to mention the most evil usually lasts until they want somewhere good to go on holiday or somewhere to buy a cheap camera from.
Old 05 August 2004, 03:23 PM
MattW
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by tiggers
Yeah the SN opinion of the US as the dumbest nation on earth not to mention the most evil usually lasts until they want somewhere good to go on holiday or somewhere to buy a cheap camera from.
Is that your opinion then???
Old 05 August 2004, 03:28 PM
Geezer
Scooby Senior

Cool

Seeing as they are so dumb, yet powerful, we may as well exploit them whle we can . They'll blow up the world sooner or later!

Geezer
Old 05 August 2004, 03:30 PM
tiggers
Scooby Regular

Is that your opinion then???
By the construction of my sentence (notably use of the word 'they') I would have thought it would be fairly obvious that it is not my opinion.

I work in the US for a fair proportion of the year and have many American friends. Like a few others I get fed up with the serial bashing the American nation gets on SN and in the UK in general especially when you consider the UK population is not exactly perfect (understatement of the century ).

tiggers.
Old 05 August 2004, 03:40 PM
MattW
Scooby Regular

By the construction of my sentence (notably use of the word 'they') I would have thought it would be fairly obvious that it is not my opinion.

I work in the US for a fair proportion of the year and have many American friends. Like a few others I get fed up with the serial bashing the American nation gets on SN and in the UK in general especially when you consider the UK population is not exactly perfect (understatement of the century ).

tiggers.
Just wondered while you were tarring everyone with your sweeping generalisation.

Furthermore, a criticism levelled at a number(not all) of American states judicary system, hardly translates into serial bashing.
Old 05 August 2004, 03:43 PM
angrynorth
Scooby Regular

tiggers.
Did I write that or you?

This really pisses me off too. Here in the UK it its very fashionable to attack the US in general and if you don't follow the crowd with this then you must be below average intelligence.

I deal with this everyday too, on just about the largest scale possible. I work for a notoriously anti-American, liberal newspaper, so my views don't fit in well with any of my colleagues, but I don't see myself changing them anytime soon. After-all, I would be a huge hypocrite if I did, with my American computer, MP3 player, American design objects, music, films, books...

In reality its a great distraction from the real problems that are OUR problems here in the UK.
Old 05 August 2004, 03:49 PM
tiggers
Scooby Regular

Did I write that or you?

This really pisses me off too. Here in the UK it its very fashionable to attack the US in general and if you don't follow the crowd with this then you must be below average intelligence.

I deal with this everyday too, on just about the largest scale possible. I work for a notoriously anti-American, liberal newspaper, so my views don't fit in well with any of my colleagues, but I don't see myself changing them anytime soon. After-all, I would be a huge hypocrite if I did, with my American computer, MP3 player, American design objects, music, films, books...

In reality its a great distraction from the real problems that are OUR problems here in the UK.
Couldn't agree with you more.

Cheers,

tiggers.
Old 05 August 2004, 03:50 PM
tiggers
Scooby Regular

Furthermore, a criticism levelled at a number(not all) of American states judicary system, hardly translates into serial bashing.
Just spend a little more time in NSR on SN and you'll get the picture!

tiggers.
Old 05 August 2004, 03:52 PM
MattW
Scooby Regular

Maybe I avoid those threads for the very reasons you do
Old 05 August 2004, 03:56 PM
tiggers
Scooby Regular

Maybe I avoid those threads for the very reasons you do
Touche

tiggers.
Old 06 August 2004, 10:03 AM
Sub97
Scooby Regular

"Quote:

Good point. That makes it ok then."

Where am I saying that makes it okay exactly? Although I do think it's okay, but that's besides the point. I was asking why you were comparing it to being in the UK? He wasn't in the UK when he committed the crime, so why compare it to someone who did?

It's a bit like moaning that you got caught speeding on an American highway doing 70 in a 55 limit. Would you expect to turn round and say if I'd of been in Britain then I wouldn't of been punished at all? A lot less drastic though, obvisouly.
Old 06 August 2004, 11:12 AM
Claudius
Scooby Regular

"Quote:

Good point. That makes it ok then."

Where am I saying that makes it okay exactly? Although I do think it's okay, but that's besides the point. I was asking why you were comparing it to being in the UK? He wasn't in the UK when he committed the crime, so why compare it to someone who did?

It's a bit like moaning that you got caught speeding on an American highway doing 70 in a 55 limit. Would you expect to turn round and say if I'd of been in Britain then I wouldn't of been punished at all? A lot less drastic though, obvisouly.
You're right, but he may still disagree with the law, may he not?

Personally, there are a lot of laws I disagree with. Not saying I am right and the law is wrong, but simply that I disagree. After all, I'm entitled to my opinion, right?
Old 06 August 2004, 11:15 AM
MattW
Scooby Regular

I was commenting more on the morallity of it rather than the law itself. I was trying to point out, albeit sarcastically, that just because it is law does not necessarily mean it is right and just. IMHO.
Old 06 August 2004, 11:24 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Clarebabes,

The thought of someone murdering a person is repulsive to me too!

Les
Old 06 August 2004, 12:01 PM
Claudius
Scooby Regular

I was commenting more on the morallity of it rather than the law itself. I was trying to point out, albeit sarcastically, that just because it is law does not necessarily mean it is right and just. IMHO.
So you're saying isnt isnt morally just and right to kill someone for murdering someone else 27 years ago because you find 27 years in jail a long time for murder?

Quick Reply: US to execute 74 year old