Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Multi Remote Controls.

Search this Thread

Old 26 July 2004, 03:52 PM
messiah
Scooby Regular

Location: Surviving as a soldier of fortune on the Los Angeles underground...
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Multi Remote Controls.

Anyone here got any of the following?

1. Philips Pronto
2. Sony AV3000T
3. Cambridge Audio M3

after a good remote to do everything - tv, sky, dvd, amp etc... just wondering about good & bad points of each and their limitations.

Favourite is the Sony but the M3 is cheaper and I don't think I'd get the full use out of a pronto.
Old 26 July 2004, 03:58 PM
Iwan
Scooby Regular

I had a Cambridge for a while, not sure which one but it had a touchscreen and no other normal buttons.

It did everything once set up right, but i never got used to it as I couldn't 'feel' which button I was pressing. With a normal remote you get used to the button pattern and often don't have to look at it when you want to turn the volume up/down etc.

With the Cambridge you have to check it's on the right screen, and check (visually) that you're pressing the right buttons.

I couldn't live with it so i sold it after 2 weeks and went back to the old normal remotes.
Old 26 July 2004, 03:59 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

I've got a Pronto NG, and had a ProntoPro before that. Must say that I've not actually used the pronto much, mainly as I've not got round to creating the custom interface I want for my devices.

It's a good little thing though, and I should use it, saves using 4 remotes, plus it looks rather funky just sitting there.
Old 26 July 2004, 03:59 PM
messiah
Scooby Regular

thats the kind of advice i'm after - cheers

the sony has some buttons on - like volume.
Old 26 July 2004, 04:01 PM
specialx
Former Sponsor

i have the cambridge great bit of kit for the money just don't drop it! re-programming is a pain in the ar*e!
Old 26 July 2004, 04:03 PM
dsmith
Scooby Regular

Couldnt live without my pronto (older B&W model). Be prepared to put some time creating the interface you want up front - and you'll never look back.

Most of what you want should be available for download from www.remotecentral.com

Deano

Last edited by dsmith; 26 July 2004 at 04:07 PM.
Old 26 July 2004, 04:11 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

I second looking at Remote Central (Danny Tonks' config file is amazing), not only for files once you have the thing, but also for reviews and comments on the various devices, very good resource.
Old 26 July 2004, 04:12 PM
Frosty The Snowman
Scooby Regular

I had the same problem as Iwan, I just couldn't get the hang of it not having buttons. I'm far to used to just holding the remote, not looking and channel hopping during the adverts!!!

Mark
Old 26 July 2004, 04:15 PM
Tiggs
Scooby Regular

as above- dumped the pronto. when you spend hrs on set up to save secs on getting up and turning the channel over somethings gone wrong!
Old 27 July 2004, 09:26 AM
messiah
Scooby Regular

I don't think I look at the remote when using it (not consiously anyway) so the lack of buttons thing has me leaning towards the Sony at the mo.

Anyone know where I have a look at these things in the flesh? Asked a Sony Centre but they said they don't get much call for them so are ordered in especially.

The All-In-One Kameleon 8 looks ok too. Anyone using any of the remotes with Sky+?

Last edited by messiah; 27 July 2004 at 10:11 AM.
Old 27 July 2004, 12:20 PM
dharbige
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by messiah
The All-In-One Kameleon 8 looks ok too. Anyone using any of the remotes with Sky+?
I have an All-In-One 6, which is much, much less expensive than the Kameleon, although not as cool looking.
I use it for my TV, Amp, Sky+, DVD, VCR, and the lights in the TV room ().
Sky+ required an upgrade for my remote ('cause I've had it for a while), but with a remote under warranty, you can get upgrades for free.

It also has an interface called JP1, which you can use to configure the remote using your PC. (You need a special cable to connect to you PC, but I just built my own!)

It works really well, and IMHO is much simpler than a Pronto-type remote with 'soft' buttons. (Yes - I do own a Pronto, and I never use it.)
Old 27 July 2004, 12:27 PM
Stueyb
Scooby Regular

You could always go for one of these $700 puppies. http://www.smarthome.com/images/8047-bbig.jpg as featured on slashdot this morning
Old 27 July 2004, 03:36 PM
wrxsmo
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by dsmith
Couldnt live without my pronto (older B&W model). Be prepared to put some time creating the interface you want up front - and you'll never look back.

Most of what you want should be available for download from www.remotecentral.com

Deano
Ditto
Old 27 July 2004, 04:03 PM
dsmith
Scooby Regular

Tiggs

if its not easier to use a single consistent interface rather than mutiple controls - then agreed its a waste of time.

However most people who use mine agree it is easier. Play is in the same place for VCR, DVD, CD, XBox etc. just cutting out half the crap buttons some remotes have can help usability.

For example when I watch a DVD I Want the Amp Volume, The DVD play, stop, pause and the TV Widescreen mode. With the pronto I can have them all one screenwith out having to **** around at all.

If I want to do some setup of a device I may have to get the remote out of the cupboard to find a single obscure button but it happens probably about once a year if that.

Deano
Old 27 July 2004, 04:40 PM
messiah
Scooby Regular

Actually quite fancy the "newer-but slightly-inferior" Sony AV2500. Newer design to 3100 but has lots of "physical" buttons - most of which would be common throughout my components. It seems to have a good balance between hard buttons for common function like vol etc (inc a cursor pad for dvd extra's), and the a decent screen for the lesser used functions I'd still want to incorporate.

The Pronto would be my first choice but a tad expensive - The Sony can be had off ebay for about £50 from the states.
Old 27 July 2004, 08:04 PM
jbryant
Scooby Regular

Had the Cambridge Audio remote for a year or so. Took ages setting it up, though the fact that you have to use the 'standard set of buttons' for each piece of kit was awkward. Cost £80 from Richer sounds. Wife hated it. Ended up with three remotes on the table, and the multi-remote, so flogged it on ebay for about £60-70

Father in law has a Marantz which looks much posher and is more programmable but still seems a bit of a PITA.

Joolz
Old 27 July 2004, 08:35 PM
what would scooby do
Scooby Senior

I've got meself one of these :- http://www.ofausa.com/remote.php?type=URC%209960

Old 27 July 2004, 09:39 PM
Harry_Boy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by messiah
Got one. Works well - interface is excellent.

Only downside is, it EATS batteries.....
Old 27 July 2004, 10:33 PM
Dream Weaver
Scooby Regular

Nevo on Ipaq is cool, and you can use it in the pub
Old 27 July 2004, 10:38 PM
richie,7,RA,spec C
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up i make them and i destroy them(in a controlled way)

MESSIAH
OFANA top bit of kit m8
i do a lot of design work +application in the build of alot of these remotes.
don't be to quick on the draw.
there's some sharper ,sweeter bits of kit coming out ready for crimbo
the best bit is they are getting cheaper and smarter ,wait until you see the ones with the new coverings black ,chrome?
cameleon 10?
we are looking into location devices aswell for them?
just incase you lose it or the kids hide it ?
hope that helps
richie
(Print Technologist)

Last edited by richie,7,RA,spec C; 27 July 2004 at 10:58 PM.
Old 28 July 2004, 08:59 AM
Harry_Boy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Dream Weaver
Nevo on Ipaq is cool, and you can use it in the pub
Agreed - can use it to change channels on the big screen while everyone is watching the footie....
Old 28 July 2004, 09:29 AM
messiah
Scooby Regular

lol.

kameleon 8 looks good and will probably do all I want but I reckon I'd prefer one of the remotes with a couple of "physical" buttons so I don't have to keep looking at it - anyone know the cost of one of these though and a uk [online] supplier?

been looking at the Sony Av2500 on ebay and can get one from america for about £50 plus postage, but after measuring up the unit seems a bit too big really - it's slightly bigger than an old GameBoy.

Might hold off if there is a few new ones around the corner, unless I spot a bargain - keep the ideas coming though...
Old 28 July 2004, 09:56 AM
Dracoro
Scooby Regular

I've got one of these..

http://www.argos.co.uk/webapp/wcs/st...oductId=108427

Uses proper keys so you can 'feel' your way round the remote. Can learn macros for commonly used features. Has a 'cinema' mode so that you can set the device to operate different devices without having to switch to tv/dvd/amp mode etc.

Can't really fault it, and at £30 it's a bargain. Being from Argos, you can try it and take it back next week if you don't like it.
Old 28 July 2004, 10:02 AM
messiah
Scooby Regular

good plan - although anything I've bought that's a Philips has usually broken as soon as the guarantee has ran out - which is why I'm loated to spend a lot on one of the Pronto's.
Old 28 July 2004, 10:43 AM
Dr Hu
Scooby Regular

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts
Question

The Kameleon 8 looks fab - although after a quick scoot around it doesnt appear to be available in the UK yet - only the older first generation one....

Harry Boy - did you get yours from the States?

And realistically how long do the batteries last? - the website says 90 days, but a reviewer said a month.....
Old 28 July 2004, 11:16 AM
messiah
Scooby Regular

probably only lasted a month as it is activated by giving it a shake - so the "fiddle factor" will be what's flattening the battery.

Other half's sister has one of the older models - which is what made me pull my finger out and get one (not to be outdone in the gadget stakes) and i couldn't help giving the thing a little prod to make it illuminate...

Batteries will last longer if I had something to keep my hands occupied - maybe if I take up smoking I'll spend less on batteries!
Old 28 July 2004, 12:38 PM
sonicsbro
Scooby Regular

I got the Pronto (B&W 2Mb version) about 2.5 years ago, after some time on remote central (excellent site BTW), i basically copied all my current remote controls (except for Sky) so they looked exactly the same, so when using the pronto, i don't need to look at the touch screen, except for changing from DVD to TV etc, also it has 5 hard buttons for main stuff like Power, Volume and channels, but these also can be programmed...

I recommend getting the battery charger pack, pricey at about £50, but well worth it..

..it also has an easter egg of having 'Tetris' built in :-)

...now I need to find time and add my 2nd DVD player and my projector as well!
Old 28 July 2004, 12:55 PM
Allan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Dr Hu
The Kameleon 8 looks fab - although after a quick scoot around it doesnt appear to be available in the UK yet - only the older first generation one....

Harry Boy - did you get yours from the States?

And realistically how long do the batteries last? - the website says 90 days, but a reviewer said a month.....

I've got a Kameleon 6 which is also very battery thirsty. I use rechargeable GP 800MAH cells, these will last for about 8-10 days with usage only during the evenings.

I just keep a set charged and swap them over.

Allan
Old 28 July 2004, 10:22 PM
richie,7,RA,spec C
Scooby Regular

yes ,battery life is somthing that we are working very hard on at the mo.
but the plus sides are the buttons never rub off, if you are only using the dvd or amp then only those buttons light up so you never get confused with what buttons you need to use.
but as i said earlier in this thread there will be a number of different designs coming out for christmas so don't go splashing out just yet.
btw there will be some nice new watches coming out sooooon with this technology
top kit, a must have
sorry i can't tell you anymore on that subject at the mo
but keep an eye out
richie
Old 28 July 2004, 10:30 PM
what would scooby do
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by Harry_Boy
Got one. Works well - interface is excellent.

Only downside is, it EATS batteries.....
well don't fart in the same room then, it sets off its motion sensor

LOL

Quick Reply: Multi Remote Controls.